Today's the day

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Today's the day

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:At least our PM has had the good sense to congratulate him and to look forward to working with the “elected representative of the American people” unlike Hollond and Merkel who are being mealy mouthed and pooing their collective EU pants at what the future may hold for them.
You can see a recognisable pattern in the standard responses across the globe.

The speakers of the far right, the autocratic etc. are positively effusive in their congratulatory remarks.

The conservative and liberal are more muted.

The Pope will probably canonise him for his stance against abortion, his frequent references to God and keeping the presidency - like the papacy - an all-male preserve.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Newcastle - you are right the first 'European Leader' to congratulate him was Le Pen. :roll:

Newcastle – his victory speech, unlike most of the time, was read from a teleprompter. How long will that last. The man has little discipline, and self control and, according to his biographers, the attention span on a gnat on Benzedrine. Its one reasonable speech set against hundreds of rants.

A quick look at the stats shows that Hiliary didn’t get the overwhelming support of Hispanics and that the young, whilst voting for her, gave a lot of votes to the minor candidates. Even against Trump she did less well with blacks, Hispanics and the young than Obama.

She had hugely more campaign money than Trump, a very much larger national organization as well as overwhelming media support. Her policies and her style/character were not winners. Nearly half registered Democrats preferred a disheveled old man to her and ignored that he voiced real concerns from those who have lost out. Weak candidate – no matter how many boxes her cv ticked.

A smart banker made an interesting comment this evening about a US that might want to retreat from engagement with the world: “Nature hates a vacuum”. In other words if the US retreats who or what do you think will replace it. Someone else said: “people whose concerns are real, but whose understanding of the facts is not, whose policies are not realistic and who are convinced that everyone else is wrong.”

The Republicans have kept both the Senate and the House so they will be able to stack the Supreme Court with judges who want to reverse R v. Wade and marriage equality.

Like a lot of Brexit – slogans are one thing – implementation is quite another matter and a lot of his ideas will be found to have unacceptable/unintended consequences if implemented.

Horus, the UK response was not as you implied. The UK government (according to Aus TV was silent for a prolonged period and at last made a comment well after the others. Maybe their planning for Trump was as good as for Brexit or was Boris out on the town.

Newcastle – re the Pope. You forget that they clashed swords 4 or 5 months ago. The Pope’s comment was: “A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian. This is not in the Gospel,” and Trump’s response wasn’t pretty. No love lost there. Their comment after the election could be read as ironical: “so that the Lord illuminate him and sustain him in the service of his homeland, naturally, but also of the peace and wellbeing of the world.” “I believe that today it is needed for everyone to work to change the global situation, which is a situation of serious laceration and grave conflict.” Surely asking for continued international engagement and positive solutions – not just “America first”.

After Augustus the Roman Empire survived 50 years of raving lunatic Emperors only to have its best 200 years ahead of it.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Horus, the UK response was not as you implied. The UK government (according to Aus TV was silent for a prolonged period and at last made a comment well after the others.
Hafiz, I am not really interested in what an Australian TV station reported, I watched Teresa May on my own TV news channel very early on congratulating Trump and by anyone’s time scale who does not live on the other side of the world, that was quick enough in my book, but please do not let that stop you from taking your usual disgruntled Ozzy ex colonial swipe at the UK as seems to be the purpose of most of your epic tomes 8)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Theresa May's comments were ' textbook congratulations' as one would expect from one political leader to another. Neither effusive nor, like some, damning with faint praise.

You have to wonder what her real feelings are.

As Home Secretary Theresa May refused to rule out banning him from the UK, said Trump doesn’t understand Britain and that his comments on Muslims were “divisive, unhelpful and wrong".

But, as with Brexit, she's capable of moving with the breeze and providing he doesn't repeat, or propose, some of his more outlandish ideas, I daresay they'll get along well enough.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Her job is to be diplomatic, I just wish people would let her get on with running the country and the tasks at hand instead of trying to second guess her all the time
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Her job is to be diplomatic, I just wish people would let her get on with running the country and the tasks at hand instead of trying to second guess her all the time
I hope she realises she doesn't "run the country" !

She's PM....primus inter pares of her ministers who form the government. It's the government which runs the country...subject always to the will and decisions of parliament as a whole.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Funny - except her cabinet are all watching for her to make a mistake and open up an opportunity.

Surprised at your comments about Trump's entry to the UK.

He has extensive, and failing, golfing interests (his money or probably someone elses) In Scotland and visited them earlier this year.

In a doco following his Scot golf investment - a bit left wing - it was alleged Salmon fell over himself to attract the Donald. Its a great watch which takes the side of those removed from the site he wanted to develop, his pure abuse directed at the locals - calling them dirty - his use of aggressive security to harass the locals who wouldn't agree to be bought out, the under delivery on his promises, the seeming complicity of the local planning authority etc. It contains one marvelous scene where a local berates herself for having missed the photo opportunity of the century - Trump's hair unraveling after he got out of a helicopter. She claimed it was over 3 feet long. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27ve_Been_Trumped
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Ann Widdecombe MP famously said of former Home Secretary Michael Howard that there was "something of the night" about him.

The remark has been credited by some for scuppering his chances of becoming Conservative leader in 1997.

For many Brits there's something similar about Donald Trump. You can't put your finger on it....but it makes you uneasy....and you don't like it. It's not just his campaign rhetoric....that you could forgive. We all can be guilty of making a verbal faux pas in the heat of the moment.

Maybe it's the hair? :tk
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

It's the government which runs the country...subject always to the will and decisions of parliament as a whole
Perhaps you can explain a three line whip then when ministers are told how to vote?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
It's the government which runs the country...subject always to the will and decisions of parliament as a whole
Perhaps you can explain a three line whip then when ministers are told how to vote?
The whip is merely a request (or, if you like, an order....but one without force). Defying a three line whip may seriously damage your career prospects and is likely to result in your expulsion from whatever party you belong to. You would become, in effect, an independent MP.

However no-one can FORCE a member of parliament to vote in any particular way.

It would be embarrassing for May if she had to use a three line whip to persuade her colleagues to comply with her wishes.

I think, if there were to be a serious revolt on anything relating to Brexit, it would likely precipitate a general election.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

newcastle wrote:Ann Widdecombe MP famously said of former Home Secretary Michael Howard that there was "something of the night" about him.

The remark has been credited by some for scuppering his chances of becoming Conservative leader in 1997.

For many Brits there's something similar about Donald Trump. You can't put your finger on it....but it makes you uneasy....and you don't like it. It's not just his campaign rhetoric....that you could forgive. We all can be guilty of making a verbal faux pas in the heat of the moment.

Maybe it's the hair? :tk
phpBB [video]
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

I have been surprised by the amount of Egyptians that think Trump is a good result for Egypt today anyone else heard this?
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Dont know about Egypt Bombay, but the Turkish government supported Trump. My educated Turkish friends are less than impressed, to say the least, particularly given his comments on Muslims.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

In Gezera yesterday many were against Trump, especially about his insults to the Muslim people.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

newcastle wrote: Maybe it's the hair? :tk
It's the eyes - usually people sometimes watch and sometimes just look. Those whose eyes are always watching make me uneasy.
Smile! It confuses people
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Michael Moore was one of the very few pundits who predicted Trump's victory.

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

Now he explains what those "disappointed" with the outcome of he US election should do.

"For all you political junkies out there, you’re probably aware that there was a presidential election last night. The Republican candidate – Donald Trump – emerged the winner, but some people (like millions of them) are kind of terrified by this result.

Morning After To-Do List:

1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have failed us miserably.

2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn't let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must "heal the divide" and “come together.” They will pull more hooey like that out of their ass in the days to come. Turn them off.

3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn’t wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that's about to begin.

4. Everyone must stop saying they are “stunned” and “shocked.” What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren’t paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all “You're fired!” Trump’s victory is no surprise. He was never a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature and a creation of the media and the media will never own that.

5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: “HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!” The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don’t. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he’s president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we’ll continue to have presidents we didn’t elect and didn’t want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there’s climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don’t want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the “liberal” position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above). Let's try to get this all done by noon today."

-- Michael Moore
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Yildez wrote:Dont know about Egypt Bombay, but the Turkish government supported Trump. My educated Turkish friends are less than impressed, to say the least, particularly given his comments on Muslims.
With the exception of one Turkish daily news paper that printed and distributed the headline ''Clinton is the new president.'' So it was ether wishful thinking or a very old copy mistake, like from 1992. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Lord spare us from Michael Moore, he was at the minor protest outside the Whitehouse today, but then again he would go to the opening of a bag of crisps, anything to get his face on TV.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Lord spare us from Michael Moore, he was at the minor protest outside the Whitehouse today, but then again he would go to the opening of a bag of crisps, anything to get his face on TV.
:lol:

One of my American friends calls him an "Attention-whore par excellence".

You have to concede he called this election right....particularly the "Rust Belt Brexit" effect.

I quite like him....even if he does look like he spends the night on a park bench :wi
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Dusak wrote:
Yildez wrote:Dont know about Egypt Bombay, but the Turkish government supported Trump. My educated Turkish friends are less than impressed, to say the least, particularly given his comments on Muslims.
With the exception of one Turkish daily news paper that printed and distributed the headline ''Clinton is the new president.'' So it was ether wishful thinking or a very old copy mistake, like from 1992. :lol:
Fabulous! Do you know which newspaper Dusak?