Religiously prejudiced.

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Religiously prejudiced.

Post by Scottishtourist »

Scotland has been going through a bit of turmoil this week.

It's Easter holidays here,and all should be calm and peaceful..and on the whole it is.

However,a couple of things have happened that have caused a bit of anguish for both the Christian and Muslim communities.

1)Glasgow's Central Mosque (the largest in Scotland)has been at the centre of a bit of controversy.The Iman there has posted views on social media in relation to an extremist who was executed in Pakistan for assasinating a politician there who disagreed with the country's blasphemy laws.
He appears to have extolled the extremist as a hero and a "true"Muslim,carrying out the will of the "ummat"(spelling.)

This has caused outrage with the more liberal Muslims in Scotland,and a high profile (Scottish) Muslim lawyer has quickly apologized for these messages.Even the Iman himself has quoted that his posts have been misconstrued..but I fear the damage is done!

2)An Asian shopkeeper in a suburb of Glasgow was brutally murdered a few days ago outside his shop.This has made headlines here and is being reported as a "religiously prejudiced"crime.My first thought on hearing the news was that some Scottish person had been stupid enough to actually think that as the man was Muslim,that he should automatically be labelled a terrorist and deserve punishment.Some people really ARE that stupid!!

Imagine my surprise(horror) when police actually arrested another Muslim for the killing.The shopkeeper was a much loved and respected member of the Glasgow community and all faiths in Glasgow have come together to hold vigils for him,light candles,etc.So far,a fund has been set up and raised over £30,000 to assist his wife and family.And this money has not only been donated by Muslims..but by a grieving community.

The line of enquiry suggests that the shopkeeper was killed for his messages on social media.He was a member of a Muslim sect that preaches love and tolerance..and had posted messages wishing all his Christian friends a Happy Easter.
I was not aware that there were many different sects in Islam.Have only ever heard of Sunni and Shia.

But it appears that there is not only intolerance being shown to Christians..there is also in-fighting now between fellow Muslims.There is a link with Birmingham with regards to the "accused."Dunno if that's significant or not.

But,a community and family is grieving during what should be a wonderful celebratory time in this country.

Any views or opinions?

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Religiously prejudiced.

Post by Who2 »

Well everybody I know assumed it was another radicalised beardy weirdy who did it.
No-body I know were surprised in the least.. :cool:
'a nice guy murdered who gives a sh*t what his religion was...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Stevepj

Post by Stevepj »

What surprises me ST is that you're shocked by one Muslim killing another and particularly a Sunni murdering an Ahmadi. In some parts of the Islamic world (Pakistan for example) Ahmadis aren't even regarded as Muslims and are horribly persecuted as apostates.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

She doesn't read widely or watch the international news and thinks education is for the birds.

QED.