Getting things STARTED.

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Getting things STARTED.

Post by A-Four »

i know it must be very frustrating for the ex-pats, and well yes, even your average Egyptian Joe in the street, but nothing in parliament will get started,........three months down the line, until the M.P's sort out their salaries.

The basic wage will be $1,460, add to that their allowances up to, but no more than $3,460, for such things as travel, food, etc. Ofcourse these amounts are per month, and evidently will be tax free. Unfortunately they will be paid in LE.

When all this is sorted out, we might see real action in government, and who knows, we may begin to see improvements even in Luxor,................. :py :wi

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Getting things STARTED.

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Frustrating for expats, why? Because they haven't been invited to tea with an MP at the Winter Palace or invited to join a "commity" yet?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Frustrating for expats, why? Because they haven't been invited to tea with an MP at the Winter Palace or invited to join a "commity" yet?
Well as you may have noticed from my past posts, I am far more interested in the future for your average Egyptian Joe in the street, so having elected their M.P.'s, they should be rather concerned as to what progress they are making.

On 6th January, they thought it would be quicker to do a collective oath to save 20 hours time doing individual ones, this was overruled. When it comes to setting out order of legislation, they put this forward to 29th January. On that day they put it forward to 29th February, still no decision. Now we learn, yet again put forward to the end of March.

I fear there is little hope for this government, which you may remember I stated before it was even elected,..........my fear for its citizens are even greater.

I believe it should go back into administrated, the sooner the better.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well I as an ex pat must admit I don't feel frustrated by the bickering. Nowt to do we me mate. Don't want to be part of a commity, wouldn't mind being invited to afternoon tea at the Winter Palace but not holding my breath in anticipation.
Don't think it means a lot to your average Egyptian either, they seem to have given up on the lot. Life goes on.
If the salaries you quote A Four are correct seems very low, I am sure the majority would feel they had to supplement their salaries in some way especially if they have to rent a place in Cairo to stay.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

"All things must come to pass' did I or did I not predict this happy 'state of affairs' sometime ago ?

Personally I moved to the west bank to extricate my self from Egypt's 'k.m.q. visitors, then they all came West,
I blame myself although I did try to 'paint a picture here of 'wobber's waypists & thieves..

But hey! anyhow they are following my prediction, so basically I won't have to move again as they have all bugger'd off, well nearly. 'inshaala!
So to 'think it, is to create it, for a 'Y' s man......... :cool:
"Happiness is ? 'living a life in the land of the dead...qed geddit?
KMQ ? = 'kiss me quick!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

In reply to the post Carrie has hit the nail on the head, the local person has lost all interest now in most things, they see nothing getting done, so they have taken a back seat. I even think ex pats have given up offering to help now, they too have lost interest. Just the odd one or two who think they can change the World and its problems.

Getting things started - Normally a bit of WD40 does the trick, or a cold ice bucket over the head at 6am.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:i know it must be very frustrating for the ex-pats, and well yes, even your average Egyptian Joe in the street, but nothing in parliament will get started,........three months down the line, until the M.P's sort out their salaries.

The basic wage will be $1,460, add to that their allowances up to, but no more than $3,460, for such things as travel, food, etc. Ofcourse these amounts are per month, and evidently will be tax free. Unfortunately they will be paid in LE.

When all this is sorted out, we might see real action in government, and who knows, we may begin to see improvements even in Luxor,................. :py :wi
15,000 EGP plus expenses, per month, minimum, seems a pretty good screw to me for sitting on your butt in a talking shop, posing as a fig leaf of democracy on what is, in reality, an autocracy.

Nice work if you can get it!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Sorry Newcastle saw it as EP not dollars. Silly me.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Must admit Carrie, you did have me checking a few things out yesterday to substantiate your argument. A very quite respectable two bedroom flat in Zamalek costs less than 15,000LE per month.

I noticed that many of the old faces (pre 2011) have returned to the house, though, the most vital person needed at this time, Boutros Ghali is missing, obviously still enjoying the English weather.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Yeh! if one can enjoy the English climate whilst pushing up the daises... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote:Yeh! if one can enjoy the English climate whilst pushing up the daises... :cool:
If I remember rightly, I think his wife died about a year ago, but am sure he's still alive and kicking in Knightsbridge ?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I suspect A-Four was alluding to Yousef Boutros Ghali...who I last heard of on the run from Egyptian justice (sic) ....rather than the late , and definitely DEAD, Boutros Boutros Ghali.

As if the plethora of Mohammeds wasn't confusing enough....
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote:I suspect A-Four was alluding to Yousef Boutros Ghali...who I last heard of on the run from Egyptian justice (sic) ....rather than the late , and definitely DEAD, Boutros Boutros Ghali.

As if the plethora of Mohammeds wasn't confusing enough....
Well funny you should say that Newcastle, as Boutros Boutros Ghali, the U.N. man, is the son of a rather more famous man as far as Egyptians are concerned, his father was prime minister of Egypt around 1910, his name was, believe it or not,..........Boutros Ghali.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Although Youssef was granted asylum in UK, after being sentenced, in absentia, to 30 years in the Morsi era, he could , I suppose, now return to Egypt. ....but why would he :lol:

His wife did die suddenly, and unexpectedly, a while back but he still lives in London, as far as I know.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Ali G.....taking the P

phpBB [video]
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

A-Four wrote:
Who2 wrote:Yeh! if one can enjoy the English climate whilst pushing up the daises... :cool:
If I remember rightly, I think his wife died about a year ago, but am sure he's still alive and kicking in Knightsbridge ?
She died 2 or 3 years ago at least.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Nov 2011 to be precise.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

newcastle wrote:Nov 2011 to be precise.
Not very precise, but I can't find a date on-line. The reports dated e.g. 17 Nov. just say "2 weeks ago".

e.g. http://arabist.net/blog/2011/11/17/the- ... f-ybg.html
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Brian Yare wrote:
newcastle wrote:Nov 2011 to be precise.
Not very precise, but I can't find a date on-line. The reports dated e.g. 17 Nov. just say "2 weeks ago".

e.g. http://arabist.net/blog/2011/11/17/the- ... f-ybg.html
Are we bored today Brian? You could apply for a copy of the death certificate.

I happen to know the actual date. ...but I'm not telling :P
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

newcastle wrote:Are we bored today Brian? You could apply for a copy of the death certificate.

I happen to know the actual date. ...but I'm not telling :P
I'm not bored. Are you?