Is this offensive?

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Is this offensive?

Post by Scottishtourist »

An ad has recently been produced depicting various people from all parts of social and cultural spectrum reciting the "Lord's Prayer."Our Father who art in Heaven,hallowed be Thy name....

3 major cinema chains have now banned the ad,and refuse to show it.
The C of E can't understand the ban.They seem a bit shocked that cinemas have now refused to show it.

Not sure who produced it,but indications show that it seems to be product of a group who believe "Prayer is for everyone"and shouldn't really be restricted to adherents of any faith.

Is this ad really so offensive?Do you agree with the ban?
Would you be offended if a cinema you visited showed it?Or would you merely take a moment,a pause for reflection..and agree (silently)in some cases with the sentiment that is being portrayed?

In many schools across UK Christmas parties for kids are banned.They are taught respect for other religions..but can't quite understand why their own festivities become so "sensitive."All these children want is a party!Is that such a big deal?

Rather than prayer uniting those of different faiths..have we now reached a point where it is dividing us?

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Is this offensive?

Post by Who2 »

Totally agree with the ban.
Totally agree with the showing of The life of Brian.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Q: Why do the Religions of the World get involved in Politics ? A: easy 'money & power'
Anyhow, unless one has studied the power of prayer your just reciting by rote & ignorance..QED.... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Who2 wrote:Totally agree with the ban.
Totally agree with the showing of The life of Brian.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Q: Why do the Religions of the World get involved in Politics ? A: easy 'money & power'
Anyhow, unless one has studied the power of prayer your just reciting by rote & ignorance..QED.... :cool:
Am I?
The power of prayer is a very personal thing!
So...I'm ignorant!

Don't matter to me sir...but tonight I'll say special "Hail Mary"for you!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

The power of prayer is a very personal thing!....
'Wrong!........'what good are you on your own ? what power do you posses ?
Get a million people praying the same prayer at the same time then you might just get a result, unless of-course you are a 'Y's woman... :cool:
Sophocles.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Who2 wrote:The power of prayer is a very personal thing!....
'Wrong!........'what good are you on your own ? what power do you posses ?
Get a million people praying the same prayer at the same time then you might just get a result, unless of-course you are a 'Y's woman... :cool:
Don't agree with you on this one Who2.

Sometimes it's quality that counts..not quantity.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Oh.....how I do wish at times that the power of prayer was real!

:xx :xx :xx
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Scottishtourist wrote:An ad has recently been produced depicting various people from all parts of social and cultural spectrum reciting the "Lord's Prayer."Our Father who art in Heaven,hallowed be Thy name....

3 major cinema chains have now banned the ad, and refuse to show it.
The C of E can't understand the ban. They seem a bit shocked that cinemas have now refused to show it.
Maybe 3 chains of cinemas, but only one overall company.

I completely understand why they have banned it, although in a country where the head of state is the head of the CofE I don't know why we pander to the sensitivity of those of other religions, or none (this includes the RCs too).

So long as they really are trying to keep out of politics and religion then this company is being fair.

And why you capitalise the first letter of an archaic personal pronoun is beyond me!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Now the catholic church always needs a few more saints.
And this from the latest vicar of christ, that puts him on the path to beatification along with that 'witch of death mother teresa.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tumor.html
There are 810 catholic saints always a good move to raise the vatican's coffers... :cool:
Ps: note small capitals only.
Sophocles.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I believe the idea of banning it comes from the fact, if it is allowed, and they then refuse another faith such as a Jewish Advert, or an Islamic advert, they could be sued. To be honest, if I am off to the cinema, I don't really want to see a god squad advert before the film
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Robbo70 wrote:I believe the idea of banning it comes from the fact, if it is allowed, and they then refuse another faith such as a Jewish Advert, or an Islamic advert, they could be sued. To be honest, if I am off to the cinema, I don't really want to see a god squad advert before the film
I remember back when we all rushed to leave the cinema before the National Anthem ...

... and to turn off the television before the test card came on!
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

"Rather than prayer uniting those of different faiths..have we now reached a point where it is dividing us"?

Lol - if it were anyone else I would have assumed this statement was being ironic but it isn't so I wont.

If there is one thing religion does, demonstrably, effectively, consistently, eternally, then its divide and agitate.

I think Terry Jones of Monty Python best summed it up

"Religion is for people who cant or don't want to think for themselves"

Clearly demonstrated as correct by the above ridiculous claim.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Iv'e just been listening to Americans on Donald Trump's views on Muslims on BBC World Service.
After years of observing and living amongst our 'american bruvvers, I have had to admit to my original estimation of all of their beliefs.
"They are really as 'thick as pig-st**, well 95% of them are, the rest are academic money makers of one sort or another.
Jesus wept are they f***ing really stoopid!!!!... :cool:
Ps: I have a chair with a higher IQ.
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Can't believe that this bigoted, racist, misogynist can possibly be the front runner as Republican parties presidential contender. What does it say about the USA.
Bye the way Trump up north is another word used for farting. Says it all really. :evil:
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

IMO - The Trump phenomena is a reaction to Obama and an expression of the American peoples' discontent with is policies and Administration.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Scottishtourist wrote:An ad has recently been produced depicting various people from all parts of social and cultural spectrum reciting the "Lord's Prayer."Our Father who art in Heaven,hallowed be Thy name....

3 major cinema chains have now banned the ad,and refuse to show it.
The C of E can't understand the ban.They seem a bit shocked that cinemas have now refused to show it.

Not sure who produced it,but indications show that it seems to be product of a group who believe "Prayer is for everyone"and shouldn't really be restricted to adherents of any faith.

Is this ad really so offensive?Do you agree with the ban?
Would you be offended if a cinema you visited showed it?Or would you merely take a moment,a pause for reflection..and agree (silently)in some cases with the sentiment that is being portrayed?

In many schools across UK Christmas parties for kids are banned.They are taught respect for other religions..but can't quite understand why their own festivities become so "sensitive."All these children want is a party!Is that such a big deal?

Rather than prayer uniting those of different faiths..have we now reached a point where it is dividing us?
It really is quite simple, this company does not (and has always made it clear) allow religious or political adverts to be screened.

Its is inaccurate and misleading for you or anyone else to say that they have "banned" this advert, it hasn't been specifically banned it just falls into the above exclusion.

Just like religions do not "allow" certain things like homosexuals and same sex marriage to infiltrate its organisation.

I might ask the same question of them that you asked of the cinema company.

Is that so offensive?

Yes.