Eid.

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Eid.

Post by Scottishtourist »

What does this mean to you?

Are you a convert to Islam?
Have you fasted during Ramadan?

Are you enjoying the feast?

This is mainly question for converts to Islamic faith.
Can anyone explain to me what Eid means to them?

In a condensed way?

Please share.Have you participated fully in the spiritual meaning of Ramadan?Are you now celebrating your Muslim feast...and accepting the teachings of Islam?That's what you agreed to!

Or are you just compromising a "religious""notion to fit in with society..whilst fully not understanding the very essence of what you signed up for?

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Eid.

P.s..it's kinda like a Christian fasting for 40days of Lent..then bitchin about someone on Easter Sunday!

If you ain't serious about religion..and even ridicule it(like so many on this forum)then you just won't understand the post!

You'll hit me with your stupid notions of archaic views!Whilst all the time ignoring the question I've asked and preferring an answer!
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

If I were a sheep I would complain about Eid. :eat :eat :eat
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Another Christian with the 'brain of a bird'..... :cool:
And they expect us to be bothered to explain......LoL.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Fasting is all well and good, I assume they give all this spare food to the hungry ? :cg

You can kneel and prey all you want, but in my humble opinion, instead of keeping your hands to yourself, one of the greatest acts you can perform is to reach a hand out to someone in need. Do unto others... :cool:

There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Beats me how they can call it fasting ? All they do is rest all day as usual, with no food, fags or water then stuff themselves rotten every night and eat twice as much .. . . . Which explains why muslim gain weight at Eid. Oh, ST, Eid meant to me blood running in the street as I watched and thought, What a wonderful tourist attraction - :stp
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

That's a bit much that last statement.
When in Rome...
I feel sure the original idea was well versed in usefulness and training as
I'll bet most Christian religious days are now just easter eggs, shopping ect.... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Who2 wrote: I'll bet most Christian religious days are now just easter eggs, shopping ect.... :cool:
And isn't Eid the same?
Special cookies,new clothes,family celebrations?

It certainly doesn't seem to stop all the "bitchin"about people on the forum!

Hence the reason I asked "What does it mean to you?"

Cos,from what I've read,your comments regarding MT and his family go far beyond the boundaries of privacy and decency!

Is that the true spirit of Islam?If so..I'm glad I'm Christian..and actually try to respect my faith!
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

My teacher was excited about Ramadan she follows all the holidays with a truly inspirational delight and hope, a believer in her faith. It was really nice to see her so excited, she is truly the only Muslim that I have met that is full filled by her beliefs.

I have met a Muslim with the head lump on his forehead who also followed Ramadan by usually sleeping the day away, I wonder if he really believes bashing his head in pray and fasting will wash away his sins.
It is what it is.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Many of the Saudi here left for Saudi Arabia as trying to fast for Ramadan was exceptionally difficult given the time of year it happened (longest days where sun not going down 'til after 10pm and coming up by 4am - life in the north can be more difficult given longer days and short short nights) and given we were going through record heat waves.

Those who stayed strictly followed and have slept more daytime wise. The Saudis took on charitable community type projects and banded together to complete same.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

At least Christian fasting (Lent) is linked to a solar calendar so that there are good reasons to not eat foods that are not easily available in late winter. Ramadan, being on a Lunar calendar, makes very little sense to me.

But I hope that all the slaughtered lambs had a good life!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Had a reviving cup of coffee and chosen to remove my own post. :ks
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Brian might be advised too to remove his repeated completely irrelevant references to lamb over the last few days, or at least replace them with fiseekh!
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

I was confused by Brian's comment about lamb :ni: Here in Turkey this recent Eid is not the one of Sacrifice, but called "Seker Bayram", Sugar Festival, when everyone offers sweets to all comers. Korban Bayram, Sacrifice Festival comes in September.

I assumed this is the same in all Muslim countries; am I mistaken?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Brian might be advised too to remove his repeated completely irrelevant references to lamb over the last few days, or at least replace them with fiseekh!
... and kakh! (sp?)
-Aldous Huxley
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

What is your problem? I am assured that it is the custom, at Eid, to sacrifice a lamb (or some other meat) and share it 1/3 with ones family, 1/3 with ones neighbours and 1/3 with the poor.

I also know that over the last 4 or 5 difficult years it has been more difficult to be able to afford such a sacrifice/celebration.

My driver bought a lamb back in February/March and fattened it up for such sacrifice. I have yet to hear how Eid was with him.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Yildez wrote:I was confused by Brian's comment about lamb :ni: Here in Turkey this recent Eid is not the one of Sacrifice, but called "Seker Bayram", Sugar Festival, when everyone offers sweets to all comers. Korban Bayram, Sacrifice Festival comes in September.

Presumably this is the what is known as Eid Kabir or Eid el Adhar - the feast that recognises Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son for God who than permitted a sheep/goat to be sacrificed instead. I was in Morocco for this feast last year, spending that part of my holiday with Moroccan friends. For them it is the 'big feast' and more important than the end of Ramadan.
-Aldous Huxley
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Yildez wrote:I was confused by Brian's comment about lamb :ni: Here in Turkey this recent Eid is not the one of Sacrifice, but called "Seker Bayram", Sugar Festival, when everyone offers sweets to all comers. Korban Bayram, Sacrifice Festival comes in September.

Presumably this is the what is known as Eid Kabir or Eid el Adhar - the feast that recognises Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son for God who than permitted a sheep/goat to be sacrificed instead. I was in Morocco for this feast last year, spending that part of my holiday with Moroccan friends. For them it is the 'big feast' and more important than the end of Ramadan.

Yes, Korban Bayram, or Eid el Adhar, is a much more important time than the end of Ramazan. As well as making a sacrifice, children have new clothes and families gather together for the feast.

A few years ago the government instigated strong controls over the killing of the animals. In most places, certainly all cities, towns and large villages, people are no longer allowed to kill the animals at home, but have to go to a designated area where the Imans and animal protection officials supervise the slaughter. Much, much better in my opinion, as I used to hate seeing the animals tied up and waiting, and then the blood and remains strewn round everywhere. I imagine that it's still like this in Egypt?
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

They had a massive religious ceremony (Gadhimai) the Worlds largest Animal cull, in Nepal which outraged a lot of people, including Messers Lumley..

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -activists

oddly enough a few weeks later, Nepal was almost levelled by an Earthquake, which also upset Messers Lumley.. and everyone suddenly starts making donations to them and praying for them.

Funny old world.. :cg

There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

What is your problem? I am assured that it is the custom, at Eid, to sacrifice a lamb (or some other meat) and share it 1/3 with ones family, 1/3 with ones neighbours and 1/3 with the poor.

I also know that over the last 4 or 5 difficult years it has been more difficult to be able to afford such a sacrifice/celebration.

My driver bought a lamb back in February/March and fattened it up for such sacrifice. I have yet to hear how Eid was with him.

Brian, I think that is the one that comes about 70 days after the end of Ramadan.