And so it begins

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

And so it begins

Post by Dusak »

It stated on the news this morning that protests have been taking place in several countries over the latest French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo depiction of the Prophet Muhammad. Within the Niger Delta one township was over run by rampaging Muslim youths. They burnt Christian churches, set fire to French owned and operated businesses, looted shops and destroyed many vehicles. Seven INNOCENT people were killed.

Will we see million plus protest marches on the streets of France protesting to this latest loss of life? I doubt it. These new protests will be just the beginning of a new wave of senseless loss of life as a direct result of this trashy magazine once again insulting Islam with their depiction of the Prophet Muhammad. The French government should also shoulder some of the blame in allowing it, all in the name of freedom of speech.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: And so it begins

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Freedom of speech is a fundamental cornerstone of democracy.

If the terrorists 'win' Dusak do you think you'll be writing on here? or anywhere? or having a "lady friend"? or engaging in any of the personal freedoms you enjoy now?
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

This has nothing to do with the terrorists winning, it is a fact that if Hebdo had not once again made insults towards Islam, knowing that their past publications had lead to the French attacks taking place, as stated by the organizers, Al-Qaeda, these people would now be still alive, the Churches, shops and homes would still exist. Printing this latest depiction of the Prophet was a most irresponsible act of stupidity in my opinion. Ask the families that have suffered due to this fact what they think.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

This is one of those philosophical/ethical conundrums so beloved of the debates we used to have at university.

The right to say anything you want (within the law of the land in which you say it) versus the consequences if you do.

I doubt there's an answer that would persuade everyone.

The Charlie Hebdo cartoons (and they're not alone...the Danish ones...Salman Rushdie's book etc.) resulted in many deaths.

But if we submit to muslim sensibilities on this...who's to say it will stop there. What next? Penalising adherents of non-Abrahamic faiths? Atheists? Widespread adoption of Sharia?
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ahh geez - I'm not talking "winning" in the sense of a football game ......

What is published might be distasteful however WE - those of us who lives in a democracies - have the right to publish what we want - end of.

Not saying it was smart, might be distasteful, might not be your cup of tea, isn't my cup of tea but "they" aka Hebdo or whomever do have the right to publish coz freedom of speech exists. Our own warrior fought and sacrificed their lives so WE (and you) can write on open forms like this......ask Raif Badawi if HE has the RIGHT to blog!! And look at what it got him - 1000 lashes every Friday plus fines ... (and he wasn't drawing photos or making satirical comments)

And for what it is worth the publication by Hebdo is an expression that WE are not going to be controlled by those who do not grant freedom of expression.

Give an inch and they'll take a mile ...... if we kowtow to these type of behaviours the inmates will run the farm.

It is definitely a no win however I don't believe we can allow ourselves to not exercise the rights many in the past have fought really hard to gain for us. You know the expression - Freedom really isn't free ......
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

While we're on this subject can someone explain to me why the latest Charlie Hebdo cartoon was deemed so offensive?

The one showing Mohamed (I guess...though it's not stated) holding the "Je Suis Charlie" placard, a tear in his eye, and saying "All is Forgiven".

That's offensive ??

There is no bar on depictions of Mohamed in the Qur'an or Hadiths. Images of him are available in mediaeval paintings & illustrated books. It's a custom that has grown from concerns that images might lead to idolatry.

One's left wondering whether the latest brouhaha is more to do with the magazine refusing to apologise (i.e. kowtow to muslim demands) than any fresh insult.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Newcastle - the last depiction was a statement of forgiveness and didn't seem to me to be intended to be offensive or challenging or provocative or anything of that ilk.

Any killing or other untoward extremist acts by the Terrorists/Jihadis is solely on them however IMO they're looking for anything upon which to act - I mean the sun does rise in the East on a daily basis so that is sufficient excuse to wreak havoc upon innocents ......
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@ Newcastle - the last depiction was a statement of forgiveness and didn't seem to me to be intended to be offensive or challenging or provocative or anything of that ilk.

Any killing or other untoward extremist acts by the Terrorists/Jihadis is solely on them however IMO they're looking for anything upon which to act - I mean the sun does rise in the East on a daily basis so that is sufficient excuse to wreak havoc upon innocents ......
Knowing Charlie Hebdo I rather suspect it was :lol:

But then they are within their rights...under french law.

I do wonder whether the West, with its traditions of free speech - say what you like & damn the consequences - would be more sympathetic to muslim sensibilities if they saw muslims worldwide kicking up more of a fuss (or an equivalent fuss) about the atrocities carried out by the likes of ISIS & Boko Haram. I don't recall any mass demonstrations etc. in connection with their activities which, to me, seem a far greater insult to muslim beliefs than a cartoon in a peripheral french magazine.
Last edited by newcastle on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I looked at the photo/cartoon and if it was then it went over my head .....
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:I looked at the photo/cartoon and if it was then it went over my head .....
Maybe not insulting....but provocative in the sense that they know perfectly well muslims don't like it !
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

There have been quite a lot of demonstrations [bring back our girls] concerning the Boko Harams taking of the girls, not that it made any difference. The way I am now viewing this and other recent mass killings and kidnappings, the Luck of these people ran out a long time ago by a now obvious badluck choice of a leader. Never trust an MIB, they can easily make you one of the disappeared. 8)

We all know, at least I think we do, that the vast majority of Muslims are an OK bunch, happily just getting on with there lives. A very minute percentage is using this latest publication to fuel their cause, the creation of anarchy by any means possible. They are the losers in life with nothing to loose. They hate the respectability of the norm, the conformists in society and their religions, waiting patently for the smallest 'slight' They are seeped in hatred and it is that hatred that will ignite further violence towards hundreds, if not thousands with this publication. This could well affect myself, anyone at any given moment, even you and yours LLL as there is no safe haven for a determined twisted mind.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:There have been quite a lot of demonstrations [bring back our girls] concerning the Boko Harams taking of the girls, not that it made any difference. The way I am now viewing this and other recent mass killings and kidnappings, the Luck of these people ran out a long time ago by a now obvious badluck choice of a leader. Never trust an MIB, they can easily make you one of the disappeared. 8)

We all know, at least I think we do, that the vast majority of Muslims are an OK bunch, happily just getting on with there lives. A very minute percentage is using this latest publication to fuel their cause, the creation of anarchy by any means possible. They are the losers in life with nothing to loose. They hate the respectability of the norm, the conformists in society and their religions, waiting patently for the smallest 'slight' They are seeped in hatred and it is that hatred that will ignite further violence towards hundreds, if not thousands with this publication. This could well affect myself, anyone at any given moment, even you and yours LLL as there is no safe haven for a determined twisted mind.
Well, ever fearful of being outed as an a*h*i*t, I am now a member of the following church :
http://www.saintstupid.com/
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well I reckon that the UK is in for loads of sh**, when all those radicalised testosterone hoodies return home from the front lines, those gezzers just love to riot, think yourselves lucky that the white C of E hoodies haven't taken the pledge as they love their cheap booze to much else there would far more murders on your streets… 'as if you don't already have enough !... :cool:
"thats the price you have to pay for invading countries bleeding them dry then giving them passports"
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I was reading about this, and read some comments on a Newspaper Website.

One response:

Islam will destroy us, unless we destroy it first. When will Western governments learn? Has anyone in government read the quoran? If they had, they would realise that the only way to deal with islam is to proscribe it, and not allow any of its adherents to live in, or even travel to civilisation.
If you have not signed the e-petition calling for a vote to ban islam, please do so, if you value your life and culture.

My Reply:

No it wont, The Puppet master is having a laugh at your expense, as they watch you burn in your own hell.. :cool:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Newcastle, thankyou for the link to your new religion ...such a well made website and :))) :))) :))) SOOOOO FUNNNY