FCO advice

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

FCO advice

Post by Brian Yare »

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has changed its travel advise for Egypt today.
You need to go to https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.g ... e_Ed15.pdf to see the current map of where they think is safe or unsafe.

All the oases except Siwa and the Fayum are amber. The west bank route to Abydos now is shown green. The whole of South Sinai outside of the resorts is amber, including St Catherines monastery. Taba is no longer considered safe according to the accompanying text.

"The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:
the Governorates of Beni Suef, Minya, Asyut and Sohag
the Governorate of South Sinai, with the exception of the area within the Sharm el Sheikh perimeter barrier, which includes the airport and the areas of Sharm el Maya, Hadaba, Naama Bay, Sharks Bay and Nabq
within 50km of the border with Libya
the area west of the Nile Valley and Delta Regions, excluding Siwa, Fayoum and the coastal areas (as shown on the map).

The area to which the FCO advise against all but essential travel does not include the tourist areas along the Nile river (eg Luxor, Qina, Aswan, Abu Simbel and the Valley of the Kings)."

While this will not affect most visitors to Luxor it will affect some to Sharm and that area.

Brian

Kevininabydos
Palestine

Re: FCO advice

Post by Kevininabydos »

Brian Yare wrote: The west bank route to Abydos now is shown green.

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:

Brian
I think it wise at this juncture to bring to every bodies attention the fact that Abydos is in the Governorate of Sohag........................
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I meant to post this e-mail via my wardens link I received yesterday but forgot. :oops:

Dear All,

I hope you are all well and looking forward to a long weekend.  I don’t wish to cast a shadow over it, but we should all remain alert over the holiday and be aware of the following sections of the travel advice: 

We believe that terrorists continue to plan attacks. Attacks could be indiscriminate and could occur without prior warning. Terrorists could target protestors and the Egyptian authorities. Attacks have mainly been aimed at the security forces, their facilities and other government buildings. You should take great care near these buildings. Attacks targeting foreigners in tourist resorts and elsewhere can’t be ruled out.

Take extra care over local holiday weekends, as some past terrorist attacks have occurred during these times.

We continue to look closely at the travel advice, and I trust that you all now have email alerts set up to inform you of any changes. 

I hope you all have a peaceful and relaxing holiday. 

Regards,

John

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

I was looking forward to a trip to Dakhla while I'm in Luxor this winter, but I guess that's doubtful now. I'll have to see what Ahmed, Petra Travel, thinks - he always errs on the side of caution in my experience. :(
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Kevininabydos wrote:
Brian Yare wrote: The west bank route to Abydos now is shown green.

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:

Brian
I think it wise at this juncture to bring to every bodies attention the fact that Abydos is in the Governorate of Sohag........................
It is interesting that the FCO map shows the West Bank route to Abydos in Green. The temples themselves are possibly in West Valley Governorate, although the town is in Sohag Governorate.

I was last at Abydos in May 2013 when the FCO advised against travel in ... Sohag. Travelling from the desert road I did not encounter any problems, but of course my driver and I were extra vigilant. We arrived at Abydos at 8a.m. and left before 11a.m. while all good trouble-makers were still asleep!

But it is up to each individual to assess the advice and risks for themselves.