2014 Constitution Referendum

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

2014 Constitution Referendum

Post by Brian Yare »

Blow to Brotherhood: Egyptians overwhelmingly back new constitution
State media gives 90 percent support for new charter which paves way for army chief to run for president.

http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=63633

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: 2014 Constitution Referendum

Post by Hafiz »

They are clear on a 90% yes vote but no mention of turnout. Strange. Maybe they have yet to 'decide' on this which isn't as unlikely as you might think given the statement from the government: "The government said it was aiming for a larger turnout than the 33 percent ..(in the constitutional referendum)...."We are hoping it exceeds 50 percent," government spokesman Hany Salah said".

Remember that 23 million (sometimes stated to be 43 million) signature petition to remove Morsi which would have needed 10 semitrailers to cart but which was never photographed or even seen by any independent body or person? Figures like this seem very plastic in Egypt at the moment and I'm sure that whatever the army is "aiming" for it will get.

If you can get 23 million signatures then I guess you can confect anything you want and be believed.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

About 37% turnout with around 98% yes vote compared to a 33% and a 64% yes vote in 2012.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

The formal announcement tomorrow (Saturday) evening.