Cairo pupils moved to Coptic schools due to 'politicisation'

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Cairo pupils moved to Coptic schools due to 'politicisation'

Post by Bombay »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24397641

Authorities in the conservative province of Bany Souef outside Cairo have allowed three Coptic Christian schools to accept 10% more students than usual this year due to the increased demand for places.

Some parents say they are removing their children from schools run by the Muslim Brotherhood because teachers are trying to influence the students for political gain.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Cairo pupils moved to Coptic schools due to 'politicisat

Post by Brian Yare »

Bombay wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24397641

Authorities in the conservative province of Bany Souef outside Cairo have allowed three Coptic Christian schools to accept 10% more students than usual this year due to the increased demand for places.

Some parents say they are removing their children from schools run by the Muslim Brotherhood because teachers are trying to influence the students for political gain.
I need to see more about this over the next few months, but it sounds good.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24417085

Michael Gove is coming under pressure to explain what checks his department carried out on a Muslim free school which has been closed since Tuesday.

Al-Madinah, in Derby, cited "health and safety concerns" when it shut last week. It is due to reopen on Monday.

But Labour called on the education secretary to "reassure the public" amid persistent concerns over the school.

The Department for Education was already investigating allegations against the school, a spokesman said.

'Muslim ethos'
Free schools - which can be opened by anyone - are state-funded but not overseen by the local authority.

Al-Madinah says it has a "strong Muslim ethos" and when it opened last year claimed to be the first such school in the country for pupils from reception age to 16.

Preliminary findings from an Ofsted inspection into the school gave it the lowest possible rating.

The Department for Education had asked Ofsted to bring their inspection forward. Allegations had been made by parents and staff that pupils at Al-Madinah had been told to follow strict Islamic practices.

Former staff have claimed non-Muslim female teachers came under pressure to wear the hijab head-scarf.

It has also been reported that girls were made to sit at the back of class.

The school denies pupils have been segregated and says its dress code was made clear to anyone wanting to work at the school.

'Extreme concern'
Sources have told the BBC the closure was due to incomplete records of child protection checks being done on all staff.

But ahead of the school re-opening to pupils on Monday, shadow education secretary Stephen Twigg said the situation must be "urgently clarified in order to reassure the public".

In a letter to Mr Gove the Labour MP said: "This is, of course, not the first time that there have been questions surrounding your department's oversight of a free school.

"While I understand that there is an ongoing investigation, the reports concerning this school are of extreme concern to parents and the wider community.

"Given the confusion as to why the school has closed, and that pupils may be returning to the school on Monday, I would ask that these matters be clarified urgently in order to reassure the public."

He called on the department to say what "due diligence" was carried out when the school was approved.

And he asked whether there had been "appropriate vetting" of staff and what oversight ministers had had since it opened.

'Immediate inspection'
Interim principal Stuart Wilson closed the school after Ofsted inspectors shared their preliminary findings with him.

"While unfortunate, my decision to close the school related to a short-term health and safety issue that has now been completely resolved and will not reoccur," a statement on the school's website read.

Ofsted closed notice on Al Madinah school
The school closed last Tuesday
The school "will be open as normal on Monday," Mr Wilson added.

A Department for Education spokesman said: "We were already investigating this school before the allegations became public.

"We discussed the problems with Ofsted and it launched an immediate inspection. We are waiting for Ofsted's final report and considering all legal options."

Mr Twigg also questioned what would happen to children at the school if it did not reopen on Monday or had to close again.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Interestingly a number of the children here in the village have been switched to a school in the next village because the parents felt that the local school was far too Islamic. They wanted their children to have a non islamic biased education. It involved extra cost as all the uniforms had to be changed and they now need to use a bus to reach the school but the parents felt it was necessary. They will still be brought up within the Muslim faith but without the political and extreme overtones.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Talking to my friend yesterday about the start up of the schools, she informed me that each child has to pay a yearly subscription. I didn't know this. The child we were discussing, her thirteen years old niece, would of had to pay 75-85Le this year, but the Government has cancelled all fees the child's family would of had to find. In my friends case, four nieces. A lot of extra money to find when you take into account all the clothes, footwear, bags, books, pens and pencils the parents are responsible for. And bus fares if needed plus a pound each to spend in the 'tuck' shop at break time. I wonder what these 'fees' are used for. Paying the teachers?
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.