Egypt bans mosque preachers in crackdown on Islamists

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt bans mosque preachers in crackdown on Islamists

Post by DJKeefy »

Egyptian authorities will bar 55,000 unlicensed clerics from preaching in mosques in the latest move against sympathizers of deposed Islamist President Mohamed Morsy, the minister of religious endowments said on Tuesday.

Egyptian authorities have been cracking down on Morsy’s Muslim Brotherhood since the army toppled him on 3 July following mass protests against his rule.

Minister of Endowments Mohamed Mokhtar Gomaa said the clerics lack licenses to preach and were considered to be fundamentalist and a threat to the Egypt’s security.

The ban will mainly target small unlicensed mosques or random praying areas. The idea is to spread a moderate message of Islam and keep Egyptians away from radical ideas.

“The decision is only meant to legalize the preaching process during Fridays’ mass prayers and make only those authorized to do it, do it,” Gomaa told Reuters.

Authorities moved to crush the Brotherhood following the overthrow of Morsy, Egypt's first democratically leader. More than 2,000 Islamist activists have been arrested and most of the Brotherhood's leaders, including Morsy, jailed on charges of inciting or taking part in violence. Some have also been accused of terrorism or murder.

Over the same period, more than 1,000 people have been killed in political violence. Most were protesters killed by security forces breaking up pro-Morsy camps in Cairo. About 100 were members of the security forces.

Islamist attacks, mainly targeting security forces, have risen sharply in Egypt since Morsy’s overthrow.

A suicide car bomber blew himself up next to Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim’s convoy last Thursday in a daylight attack in Cairo that killed a passer-by and an unidentified person and wounded 20.

The military-led authorities consider the Brotherhood a terrorist group and discussions are underway on the possibility of banning it.

SUPPORT FROM PUBLIC

Previous secular governments tried to move against fundamentalist preachers and their mosques but failed to clamp down on them because of the wide influence of Islamists.

The army and security forces now have backing from a large section of the public which was critical of Morsy’s decision to give himself sweeping powers and his management of the fragile economy.

In Geneva, Amnesty International called on Tuesday for an independent investigation into killings by the security forces as well as torture and violations of the rights to free speech and assembly.

The military’s overthrow of Morsy unleashed an “extreme level of political violence,” the London-based group told the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva.

“Between 14 and 18 August, at least 1,089 people were killed, many due to the use of excessive, grossly disproportionate and unwarranted lethal force by security forces,” said Peter Splinter, Amnesty representative in Geneva.

A impartial investigation was urgently needed into human rights violations, he said.

On Monday, U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay reiterated her call for an independent inquiry into the killings, as well as her request to send a team to Egypt to assess the situation.

Source: Reuters

pdmlynek

Re: Egypt bans mosque preachers in crackdown on Islamists

Post by pdmlynek »

I certainly would never question how Egyptians deal with their extremists (such as MB), but it seems to me that suppressing a party that won a popular vote will never kill it off. Would it be naive for me to suggest, that the best way that MB would have been obliterated would have been that the people would have seen how awful it was to live under the Morsi regime that they would have never voted for MB ever again?
I am an experienced traveler, but a newbie to the Middle East.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

I think the popular vote for the MB has vanished anyway, hasn't it?
pdmlynek

Post by pdmlynek »

Chocolate Eclair wrote:I think the popular vote for the MB has vanished anyway, hasn't it?
I don't know. The popularity of any government tends to go down after it has been voted into power.

But I think that it has been driven underground. I don't think that it is a great idea to to around announcing that you support MB, when members are being killed and arrested en mass.
I am an experienced traveler, but a newbie to the Middle East.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Banning 55,000 unlicensed preachers? That's going to need
a lot of PC Plods during Frday lunchtimes.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Good point Remus. How will the already bloated bureaucracy and police make sure the bans are implemented. On the otherhand, just when you thought that job creation in the economy was a long way off this comes along.

Should provide for a few thousand new jobs to clamp down on the unlicensed preachers, that is if any of of the new job holders turn up for work.

Will the license monitoring police only need to work on Friday or will they cover the other six days of possible preaching. Lots of opportunities for overtime and pay loadings for Friday and Saturday work.

The Army could be onto something here - policing the new military state is likely to lead to lots of new work and new jobs for some. You can never be too thin, too rich or too well policed.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Thanks Hafiz.
You're really a cynic, but I like the irony!
(It was at least partly ironic, wasn't it?)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Remus wrote:Banning 55,000 unlicensed preachers? That's going to need
a lot of PC Plods during Frday lunchtimes.
I doubt they would, I bet they is a policeman in nearly every family in Egypt, putting that aside and i'm not trying to degrade the Egyptians, but they are the biggest gossipers ive ever known, so eventualy any unlicensed preachers will be found out.
Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Yes many of them will be shopped - but many others will
be protected. It may not be as strong, but there's still an
MB heartbeat in Egypt especially in the countryside.