Egypt army gives Brotherhood 48 hours to join roadmap

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt army gives Brotherhood 48 hours to join roadmap

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt's armed forces issue new ultimatum.

Egypt's army gave the Muslim Brotherhood until Saturday afternoon to sign up to political reconciliation, a military official said on Thursday, after the army issued a veiled threat to use tougher tactics against the group.

"We will not initiate any move, but will definitely react harshly against any calls for violence or black terrorism from Brotherhood leaders or their supporters. We pledge to protect peaceful protesters regardless of their affiliation," the official said, saying they had 48-hours to comply.

The army deposed President Mohamed Morsi, a Brotherhood politician, on July 3 and installed an interim administration that has set out a roadmap for a new political transition leading to parliamentary elections in about six months.

Earlier, the army signaled it would change its strategy for dealing with "violence and terrorism" after protests it has called on Friday. In a statement posted on a Facebook page affiliated to the army command, the military said it was ready to turn its guns on anyone involved in either.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/77381.aspx

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Egypt army gives Brotherhood 48 hours to join roadmap

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I was considering this today, and please feel free to correct me if or where I am wrong..

The Muslim Brotherhood have lost the grip they had on Egypt
// Assuming they actually had any grip // ?

If the majority of the country is happy about this situation, as they appear to be,
then If a democratic election were to be held the next few weeks, or even month's, as will be essential to Egypt's economy...
The Muslim Brotherhood must know that the people will probably NOT vote them in a second time.

What are the Muslim Brotherhood's options, given their real level of support amongst the General population of Egypt ?

I REALLY do not think that Terrorism is on the Agenda, unless they are planning with unbelievable levels of stupidity.

?
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Bullet Magnet wrote:What are the Muslim Brotherhood's options, given their real level of support amongst the General population of Egypt ?

I REALLY do not think that Terrorism is on the Agenda, unless they are planning with unbelievable levels of stupidity.?
I think that stupidity is not beyond their reach.

They can be stupid now, and for a few months or years, or retreat to insignificance for another 50 years.

But when push comes to shove, when the next elections come, I expect that the MB will do quite well.

Brian
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I guess that depends a lot on which puppets, sorry Candidates, and parties are on offer next time around.
Seems there wasn't much choice first time around, and maybe the MB votes cast were just the lesser of 2 evils.

I agree about the possible stupidity Brian, but I think the people have more sense now, and probably will not tolerate violence and continuing demonstrations that the MB organise.
The people want stability and money in their pocket, so all the demonstrations could well backfire on them, and even cause some animosity towards the MB, which in turn means fewer votes.

If the Army and Police fail to act after the deadline on Saturday, or are ineffective, then I would suspect interference from a higher level,
Like the Tottenham riots.. that was a clever agenda, having the fools call out for more chains to be wrapped around them...
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Stupidity or not the historical strength of the brotherhood, during their 60 years of illegality, has been their determination and doggedness. Surviving as a secret and outlawed organization and going to prison wasn't good training in the arts of government. Doggedness can easily become inflexibility and they have shown inflexibility in spades in the past year.

All the commentary on how Morsi and Shater dealt with offers of compromise shows that they were inflexible but the same commetators state that the liberals and seculars were also inflexible.

Assuming that the best predictor of the future is the past, they probably wont now be flexible and play ball with Sisi.

What happened to the new President and Prime Minister? They are not making any speeches or calling for demonstrations. Quiet as the grave, and any threats, offers, calls for demonstrations are being given by the military Deputy Prime Minister. Thought that the role of the new civilian politicians was to get a compromise. Maybe that isn't working and the only one who can do the job is the army.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote: I expect that the MB will do quite well.

Not around here they won't, around here being upper egypt that is.......:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.