Top judge sworn in as interim Egypt president

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Top judge sworn in as interim Egypt president

Post by DJKeefy »

Head of Egypt's High Constitutional Court sworn in as interim head of state after army ousts Mohamed Morsi.

Adly Mansour, the newly-appointed head of the High Constitutional Court, has taken the presidential oath of office.

"I swear by Almighty God that I will uphold the republican system, respect the constitution and the law, look after the interests of the people, protect the independence of the nation and the safety of its land," the oath said.

Adly saluted the army, the judiciary and the police in a brief speech to rapturous applause.

He lauded Egyptian media outlets for "lighting the road for the nation and uncovering the failures of the former regime."

He also paid tribute to the youth of the revolution and all revolutionary forces for taking part in the "glorious day of 30 June."

Adly Mansour was sworn in as head of the High Constitutional Court (HCC) on Thursday morning. He was appointed to the position in May and his term officially started on 30 June after former leader Judge Maher El-Beheiry reached the retirement age.

Mohamed Morsi was ousted by the army on Wednesday following days of huge opposition protests.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/75675.aspx

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: Top judge sworn in as interim Egypt president

Post by Hafiz »

This chap is good at swearing in ceremonies - he's been to a few recently. A couple of weeks ago he was a normal judge, theN a week ago he was sworn as head of the high constitutional court (is that an oxymoron - 'constitutional court'). Then he is sworn as interim president and swears in others. There's been a lot of swearing in and all of them seem welcome promotions.

This chap has missed his true calling. Comedy. 'I will uphold the republican system", 'respect the constitution'. Like all good comedians his timing is perfect - he's arrived at just the right time to take up just the right job.

George Orwell would have a field day - all these lies and cant and everyone convincing themselves that nothing bad has happened.

As ever, the drool is smeared across the story in al Ahram - 'rapturous applause'. Maybe the journalist is looking to be sworn into something better than lick spittle news stories. They really should dress the al Ahram journalists with bibs.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

The new interim president is an unknown. The limited information I can find on him paints a picture of a relative non-entity working in a system of courts which is, at the least compliant to the military interest, or at worst rotten to the core.

http://qz.com/100649/meet-egypts-new-in ... y-mansour/

A detailed NYT article of 12 months ago suggests high politicization of the High Constitutional court, from which the new President comes, as well as rabid anti-brotherhood attitudes in the same court.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/world ... d=all&_r=0

An article on Egypt’s constitutional court in a blog of international law lawyers states: “Egypt's Supreme Constitutional Court remains beholden to a non-democratic interest. In cahoots with the military …”.

http://www.intlawgrrls.com/2012/12/egyp ... le-of.html

An academic article on courts in Egypt (published under the sponsorship of the International Commission of Jurists) pungently states that: “This (previous appointments by President Mubarak) has opened the way for potential abuse such that amenable judges have been transferred for lucrative assignments and as a reward for compliance, while judges who have challenged the executive’s control over the judiciary have been subjected to disciplinary or even.”

The Public Prosecutor is also regarded (in the same article) as a rotton egg which makes sense when you look at his inability to convict anyone from the previous regieme but this is irrelevant to the Constitutional Court except to show that the whole system was rotten to a major degree.

The courts, mostly the military courts, were used to prosecute and imprison the brotherhood leaders including the former President (escaped from jail in a break out in January 2011) and the head of the FJP, Shater, who was imprisoned for an extended period (3 or 5 years by my memory) in the 2010's. You can understand why some are leery of courts in Egypt and might have scores to settle.

Tellingly the same article states that: “The President and members of the current Supreme Constitutional Court are (as at 2012) all Mubarak-era appointments. Their independence has been called into question, including in relation to decisions taken in the transitional period … (the court) should be reformed to secure the independence of the …court”. Sounds like legal academic speak for a much worse state of affairs.

http://www.icj.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -20121.pdf

This new interim President doesn't sound like a clean skin (or if he is he must have been the exception) but, hell, how many clean skins are there in Egypt given the grovelling and corruption which was necessary to prosper during the 60 years of military dictatorship. There must be people now in power who are the third generation of grovelers and bribe makers and takers the originators of which were their grandfathers. A ruling class built on up to 3 generations of bad behavior in public office with the objective of personal benefit. Another example, not that one was needed, of the difficulties and risks of building a new democracy out of the wreckage and dross of the dictatorship.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

And now, according to the news, the MB's want him removed because of the shootings. Won't be anybody left to fill the places soon.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Mansour is the gift that keeps on giving - the more he goes on the more is known of him, and none of it is good.

Mansour was among the judges (some say the chief judge) who ruled against a political isolation law in 2012 that would have barred many Mubarak-era officials from politics. As a result, Mubarak's last prime minister, Ahmed Shafiq, was able to run against Morsi.

He may have decided fairly but you can understand that there might be a perception of bias and why, as a result, some don't fully trust him.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =198596554