Coptic schoolteacher detained for 'insulting' Islam in Luxor

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Coptic schoolteacher detained for 'insulting' Islam in Luxor

Post by DJKeefy »

Public prosecutors in the Upper Egyptian Luxor governorate on Thursday ordered the detention of a Coptic-Christian schoolteacher for four days pending investigation on charges that she had insulted the Islamic faith.

Demyana Emad, a 23-year old social studies teacher, was charged with insulting Islam and the Prophet Mohamed at a primary school in south Luxor, state news agency MENA reported on Thursday.

The complaint was first filed in April when the head of the parents association at the Sheikh Sultan Primary School lodged a complaint with the Luxor Educational Directorate.

Emad, for her part, denies the accusations and has demanded that additional witnesses be brought to support the accusations. She says that, during a Thursday hearing, several Islamic "extremists" had incited school students to testify against her.

Recent years have seen mounting tension between Egypt's Coptic-Christian minority – thought to account for roughly 10 percent of Egypt's population of almost 90 million – and the Muslim majority.

Similar accusations were made in July of last year, when a Coptic teacher was sentenced to six years in prison for posting pictures on Facebook deemed defamatory to Islam and Prophet Mohamed.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/71085.aspx

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Coptic schoolteacher detained for 'insulting' Islam in L

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Well Egypt is predominately an Islamic State what do you expect. Should be more careful what he said.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

There's a big difference between what she was supposed to have said and what she didn't say. Like... truth.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
gd47

Post by gd47 »

Give it 25 years and the UK will be the same...ie. minority Christian, and subject to Sharia "Law".
A lifetime sufferer of Zymocenosilicaphobia
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I think not!!!! No way, no chance, no hope of it ever happening!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

In a democracy we do have the right to vote in the candidate of our choice. Probably take more than 25 years but the numbers won't lie if and when..........
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Yet another example of religion winning over all.

Yes, its supposed to be a democracy which I thought free speech was one of the pillars it was supposed to be built on?
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

20,000LE bail set for Coptic school teacher accused of 'insulting' Islam.

Prosecutor-general sets bail for Coptic Christian primary schoolteacher in Luxor charged with insulting Islam; accused says 'extremist' parents incited against her.

Egypt's Prosecutor-General Talaat Abdullah sets bail for Coptic Christian primary school teacher Demiana Emad, accused of insulting Islam, at LE20,000 ($2,870).

The 23-year-old social studies teacher was arrested on 9 May after the head of the parents association of Sheikh Sultan Primary School in Luxor filed a complaint in April.

Emad, who denied the allegations against her, said several Islamic "extremists" had incited schoolchildren to testify against her.

The prosecutor-general also questioned Emad over allegations of proselytising to students, according to Al-Ahram Arabic news website.

Similar accusations were made against another Coptic teacher in July of last year after he posted pictures on Facebook deemed insulting to Islam and the Prophet Mohamed.

That teacher was sentenced to six years in prison.

Egypt's Coptic Christian minority – thought to account for roughly 10 percent of Egypt's population of almost 90 million – have been targets of sectarian attacks by anti-Coptic elements in recent years.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/71428.aspx
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Periodically here teachers get brought to public attention for refusing to teach evolution vs creation or vice versa. Usually brings on a storm of controversy but nobody is ever arrested and the battle still wages on as to which evolution/creation is the REAL truth.

Are there any specifics as to what exactly this teacher did or allegedly did to insult Islam? Is there any creedence to the notion that not only is she Copt but that she is also female?
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The where's and wherefores don't really matter here. Once the fickle finger of fate is pointed in your direction, its irremovable, especially if your beliefs are in the cross, which makes the other side very cross. Its the same old story concerning the other team, several times a day they are told and read not to lie, but this rule of thumb doesn't count towards the innocent enemy. Perceived as being fair game in the continual hunting season.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Exactly and we all know that women are not reliable witnesses. Doesn't it take 4 women witnesses to equal 1 man?

If one of the children was a boy the woman teacher is therefore toast and can kiss her career goodbye.......

Sad, sad, sad - really it is ludicrous how easily it is to point the fickle finger of fate and make accussations and to defend a negative isn't easy anyway.......sometimes can only just shake my head, sigh and think about how ridiculous circumstances like this can be........sad, sad, sad.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

A further development in the Luxor area teacher blasphemy case which shows that at least 1 brotherhood leader in Luxor is very extreme and not happy with due process, presumption of innocence or anything else that goes with rule of law. He also wants a penalty even if the defendant is acquitted.

The quote is from Associated Press:

The top Brotherhood leader in Luxor, Abdel-Hamid el-Senoussi, is a lawmaker and the head of the legal team representing the families whose children testified against Abdel-Nour.

He acknowledged that two investigations by the school found no justification for the children's claims, but said he does not trust those findings.

"They just want to avoid discord. But we prefer to get to the bottom of it," he said. "Even if the court clears the teacher and rules that she is innocent, she must be fired from the school."

"There are people who want to mess up with the ship of the nation and this teacher is one of them," he said.

For him, the penalty for contempt of religion is not harsh enough. "I prefer 10 years imprisonment and, in case the judge clears the defendant, a fine that goes toward the upkeep of places of worship."

"Anyone who insults religions must be punished to deter further assaults," he said.

If this is a local Islamic leader what are the others like? There seem to be no Islamic moderates presenting a 'rule of law' view: which is a pity.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ ... 8-09-34-42
Last edited by Hafiz on Wed May 22, 2013 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gee - guess this adds lots of clarity to the definition of "fanatic."

My only knowledge of this matter comes from what I have read on here however on reading this latest article the thought crosses my mind that anytime you have anybody this outlandishly zealous I wonder IF the children actually had an issue with this teacher in the first place OR if the witch hunt actually went in the other direction and issues re: the Coptic teacher were sought out and trumped up from the outside?

The Brotherhood sure seems to have full head of steam on about this female Coptic teacher. Sad.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The MB's motto is SAD, Segregation And Destruction. Theirs- HAPPY. Honesty Appreciation Parity Perseverance Yardstick. [a standard used in judging]
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Any more updates on this situation?
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt teacher fined LE100,000 for insulting Islam.

Luxor misdemeanors court finds teacher guilty of insulting Islam and Prophet Mohamed, fining her 100,000 Egyptian pounds blasphemy.

Coptic teacher Demyana Obeid Abd El-Nour was found guilty on charges of insulting Islam and the Prophet Mohamed by a Luxor misdemeanors court on Tuesday. She now faces a LE100,000 fine.

The sentencing took place amidst rigid security and chanting from Islamists who believe Abd El-Nour should receive a harsher verdict for her crime.

Last April, parents of students at a primary school in South Luxor accused Abd El-Nour of showing contempt for Islam during a talk about religion.

The verdict is not the first of its kind.

Bishoy Kamel, another Coptic teacher, was sentenced to six years in prison last September for insulting Islam on Facebook.

It is expected that Abd El-Nour will appeal the verdict in an attempt to reduce the fine.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/73741.aspx
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The court for misdemeanors? Are they taking the big P? If this is so, then the place should be packed to the rafters by the other side as they invented the trade in misdemeanors. Why don't they just come out with it, ''we don't want Christian teachers in Egypt.'' 100,000 fine for not being guilty in this obvious set up? Now they are taking the P.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

How is an Egyptian teacher going to pay 100,000LE?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

A muslim teacher I know recently asked to be moved from a school in which he was employed because of the radical views of the other teachers there. Most of them were Salafists. What kind of education are the children receiving???
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Very little! They are kept in ignorance, because an uneducated population is easier to control.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan