Hundreds of thousands besiege Egypt's presidential palace

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Hundreds of thousands besiege Egypt's presidential palace

Post by DJKeefy »

Hundreds of thousands besiege Egypt's presidential palace to protest draft constitution.

Demonstrators take to streets nationwide to protest Egypt's draft constitution less than two weeks before referendum on proposed national charter.

Hundreds of thousands of protesters gathered at Egypt's presidential palace and in Tahrir Square Tuesday to protest a draft constitution and a recent decree by President Mohamed Morsi giving him sweeping powers.

"This constitution is all wrong. It violates freedoms and was only created by the Brotherhood and Salafists for their own benefit," said Hanan Sabri, a housewife, as she walked to Tahrir Square, the site of mass protests against the recently issued draft constitution.

The Constituent Assembly, which wrote the draft charter, is accused of having been dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood – from which President Morsi hails – and Salafist groups. The assembly has also been marred by several withdrawals, including by representatives of the Coptic Church, labourers, journalists and farmers.

The draft constitution itself is seen by critics as unrepresentative of Egyptians at large and as falling short on the freedoms and social benefits called for in the 25 January Revolution. Many articles are also criticised for being vague.

"There is an article that states that society should be 'self-critical.' What does that mean? It means that we’ll find people bothering us for not liking what we wear," added Sabri.

The draft constitution was rushed through in a final marathon session during which it was approved by assembly members, cutting short an additional two-month period set aside for discussion of its contents. Morsi was then presented with the document, after which he announced it would be put to a nationwide referendum on 15 December.

Thousands gathered in Tahrir Square on Tuesday while hundreds of thousands made their way to the presidential palace in Cairo's Heliopolis district to voice opposition to the draft charter.

Two major marches from the Abassiya and Madinet Nasr districts close to Heliopolis brought the bulk of protests to the door of the palace. Another rally from Ain Shams University merged with a rally from Rabaa Al-Adawaiya.

The marches began at 4pm and maintained a peaceful nature, with protesters chanting 'Down with Morsi, down with the rule of the Supreme Guide,' as they snaked through the streets leading to the palace.

Amany Moussa – walking in the Madinet Nasr rally, which was launched from the Rabaa El Adaweya Mosque – complained that Egypt had finally seen some stability in recent months, but Morsi’s constitutional decree had again led to violence.

Before a date for the constitutional referendum was set, the president had issued a constitutional declaration that shields his decisions from judicial oversight and protects the Constituent Assembly and Shura Council from dissolution by court order.

The declaration was deemed "dictatorial" by the opposition, which filled Tahrir Square twice in protests last week.

Islamist forces then held a rival protest on Saturday in defence of Morsi's decree. Dubbed the "Day of Legitimacy and Sharia," hundreds of thousands of Islamists gathered at Cairo University to back the president.

"I know he's an elected president, but I think he lost his legitimacy," Moussa said.

"There are various articles in the constitution that violate the values of the Egyptian revolution, especially articles allowing civilians to be put on trial in military courts," she said.

"This is the first time I join a protest," Ahmed Ibrahim, another protester at the rally, told Ahram Online. "I am so angry, I feel that the Muslim Brotherhood are dominating everything and taking complete control of the country."

Participating in the Abassiya march that set out from Cairo's Al-Nour Mosque, Shaimaa – an independent activist in her twenties – travelled from Suez to join the march to denounce Morsi's constitutional declaration.

"We are here to attend the protest; we’ve taken part in all major protests happening in Cairo since the 25 January Revolution," she said, as she arrived with thousands of others in the vicinity of the presidential palace.

Like Ibrahim, Shaimaa condemned the recently finalised draft constitution as being "a constitution made only for the Muslim Brotherhood."

Shaimaa added that she came only to protest peacefully, but intended to stay if any protesters were assaulted.

As protesters reached the presidential palace, they were met with a cordon of barbed wire and security personnel. A few minutes later, teargas was fired from the security side, although soldiers later retreated, opening the way in Merghany Street for protesters to pass.

As they approached the main gate, protesters chanted, "The people want to topple the regime," and, "We will not leave, he will leave."

"Down with the Supreme Guide [of the Muslim Brotherhood]," they yelled, while waving Egyptian flags and banners that read: "We reject splitting the country in two using religion," and, "We reject the constitutional declaration."

Protesters also waved flags bearing the images of slain protesters, including Sheikh Emad Effat – who died during clashes between military police and protesters during a December 2011 sit-in – and Sayid Belal, a Salafist activist tortured to death in 2010 under the ousted Mubarak regime.

Challenges face the looming constitutional referendum, as Egypt's Judges Club announced it would boycott the poll – and refrain from supervising polling stations as it usually does – to protest what it calls Morsi's "power grab" decree, which they say impinges on its independence.

In reaction to the Judges Club stance, Egypt's Supreme Judicial Council announced on Monday that it would allocate judges and members of the prosecution to supervise the referendum despite the strike action.

Tuesday evening also witnessed protests in Alexandria, Mansoura, Mahalla, Hurghada, Luxor, Assiut, Minya and Ismailia against the draft constitution and constitutional declaration. According to activists, thousands of protesters took the streets in huge rallies in Alexandria.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/59778.aspx

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Hundreds of thousands besiege Egypt's presidential palac

Post by Scottishtourist »

Just wondering if anyone witnessed the "protests" in Luxor mentioned here?
Or did it clash with some kind of "social"event and is thus disregarded?
This is important stuff...as far as tourism is concerned.Or,is it just that we tourists are more concerned with safety and security for further visits than those living there?
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

We walked past the Main square on friday night ( Opposite Snack Time )
The usual Friday night gathering for Holy day, people all getting together and sitting around, nothing unusual.
Less than 10 minutes later, as I walked down towards the Station, TV reports were showing LIVE demonstrations in the same square.
(on some continuous news loop, that flipped between Cairo and Luxor).

I can't say anymore, as I was making my way South for the rest of the night, so had no need to go near the square again that night.

Also, regarding the Tourist Numbers, I can honestly say that the Hassle has killed the place, ( for the "casual tourist" ).

Some predictions in life are not too hard to make... Luxor will have to quickly adapt or Perish. Or hope that prayers for devine Intervention are answered...

Discuss ?
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Just one question BM.
Would you have been happy to let your wife go out ALONE at nite?
You appear to be regular visitor (much like myself) But seriously...what hassle did you find?
Or did I just over-react and was I over sensitive to the hassle,touching,refusal of unwanted attention,etc,etc.
I'll be first to agree with you...it ain't the place it was!
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Yes, I was at a 'social event' - it didn't start that way - I just went to Blue Sky for a beer and a shish tawouk (well recommended), and within about 10 minutes, friends began to turn up! At about 8.30 we heard shouting from across the river, seemingly coming from around the Governor's office. It was mainly sloganising; a leader with a megaphone chanting slogans that were then repeated by the crowd. Blue flashing lights were also visible. After about half an hour, it was over.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Bullet Magnet wrote:We walked past the Main square on friday night ( Opposite Snack Time )
The usual Friday night gathering for Holy day, people all getting together and sitting around, nothing unusual.
Less than 10 minutes later, as I walked down towards the Station, TV reports were showing LIVE demonstrations in the same square (on some continuous news loop, that flipped between Cairo and Luxor).
I saw nothing either but there were certainly protests of some kind. They could be heard quite plainly across the river and appeared to be coming from around the Governor's HQ on the Corniche. I couldn't tell from the hubbub whether they were pro or anti, or both. But at one stage the crowd – I assume a crowd – were chanting "Morsi, Morsi, Morsi". Unfortunately, the chef who came out onto the bank to listen couldn't explain in English!
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Here's a video, posted originally on Facebook by Glyphdoctor showing last night's demonstration in Luxor.

phpBB [video]
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Yes, they look really menacing!
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

... especially the babe in arms being carried by his or her father!
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

The protest was against Morsi.

It did kick off at Abu Haggag square though, with many fights and stone throwing etc.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

would I let my wife out on her own at nights ?

I have no say over what she does, but I know she would NOT walk the streets at night.
We really are 2 opposite's in many respects.

Although I see no reason for other Women not to walk the streets of Luxor at night, as they do !

There's an elderly lady I met last week who befell the same fate as TimeTraveller, in Little Britain, Exactly the same.
She still walks that same route most nights.

The caveat to that statement is that the situation in Luxor is constantly changing, and AWARENESS is the key to making those kind of decisions.

I wish Luxor well and no harm, but she has seen much better days.. Bit like my missus :lol:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Were you there, Keefy? You know that hearsay is unacceptable on here.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

No Teddyboy, I dreamed it up like I always do :roll: It was a vivid dream though, it seemed so real, mind you there was no fireworks so I must have been dreaming :mrgreen:
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Keefy, I was being serious! You know the carry-on there was the last time this sort of thing was bandied about on here.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Me too. ;)
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

If I was near enough to you I'd poke that winking eye out!!!!!
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

:lol: @Teddyboy