Free photography ( non-flash) in tombs??

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Free photography ( non-flash) in tombs??

Post by newcastle »

Well....that’s how I read this announcement. Perhaps no-one was buying the photography permits.

Travel & Tourism News 3/07/2019
Taking Mobile Photos at Archeological Sites To Be Free starting from August

Ministry of Antiquities: Allow free mobile photography within sites and archaeological museums
Finally, visitors of all museums and archaeological sites in Egypt could take photos freely with their mobiles as of August 1.
The Board of Directors of the Supreme Council of Antiquities decided at its last session to approve the free photography of mobile phones for visitors in museums and archaeological areas throughout the Republic, beginning on August 1, 2019.

Dr. Mostafa Waziri, Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said that this decision came within the framework of the Ministry of Antiquities to promote the Egyptian monuments and the unique and great civilization of Egypt and also to encourage tourism movement in Egypt. Within all museums and archeological tombs as well as the temples of Abu Simbel

Waziri said that the decision falls within a framework of the Antiquities Ministry’s keenness on promoting the Egyptian civilization and its artifacts.

“Using flash in taking photos is prohibited during touring the museums and cemeteries as well as Abu Simbel Temple,” Waziri added.

Source: Ministry of Antiquities and Sada El-Balad English https://see.news/taking-mobile-photos-a ... orO8k96Dn8

Experience the magic of Egypt where it all begins
(y) facebook.com/friendsofegyptsupporttourismtoegypt

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Re: Free photography ( non-flash) in tombs??

Post by John Landon »

To be fair reagrding the allowing of pictures being taken with mobile phones, it would be extremely hard to stop people doing that, so in effect they are just admitting that. And so to gain empowerment over the situation, they are saying they are allowing it..

When I was at Cairo Museum there were signs eveywhere telling you that you cannot take photographs,
but you can buy our postcards of the same things you want to photograph...

The Japs didnt care, they brought out their expensive ( Japanese obviously ) camera's and just photographed eveything and no one batted an eye..
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I suspect, JL, that you haven’t been in the Cairo museum for some time. :lol: Cameras (although not phones) are regularly confiscated at the entrance metal detectors.

If photography is to be allowed in the tombs, I’m not sure it’s a good idea. They can be claustrophobic enough without gaggles of tourists taking selfies against some pharaonic background. Few will be interested in a quick shot of anything of egyptological interest.

The tomb guardians won’t be too pleased either. Baksheesh for allowing surreptitious photography far exceeded their meagre salaries.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Well, it was bout 8 years ago since we are at the Museum. Bags were being checked through a scanner but camera's were not confiscated nor did anyone bother about them taking photos.. Maybe things have changed in that time ?
I was in one tomb, and the Japs were all over that like a rash, it did rather spoil that particualr visit while they were taking photos and hogging the scenery..

I do find all these people with camera's annoying as you have to be aware of them taking photos and try not to get in the way.

Yes, on the sites, hand your phone or camera to Mohammed so he can take a picture of the 2 of you together for 5 LE..
I never really minded that. Its peanuts to me and they have to make a living..

Conversely though, how many tourists never came back because of all the hassle.. ?
Luxor went back on the list of holiday destinations a couple of years ago, but so few people booked holidays in Luxor that the place was removed again.

But, as I have said before.. Luxor now has beome the open air museum they wanted it to be. A museum, where doors open in the morning an close at night.. What did people expect ?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

There are always, times of the day and of the year, to visit the tombs and temples,
When there are no tourists whatsoever...'not even a one..

It's all down to one's sensitivity, and talking to people.
'I remember once walking into my favorite temple with the morning workers...
Kom Ombo, they got to know me, all drinking chai in their coffee shop, at 5am.

Mind you! I also used to love sitting, watching, the antics of tourists in temples,
whist drinking 'an iced G&T out of my thermos, and a few 'pre-rolled.....8)

Ps: 'A kind word and a bit 'o baksheesh goes a long way, even a cigarette...
Pss: We even spent overnight in Cheops once, £20 quid each and a 'puffer jacket lol!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Alistair1967

Post by Alistair1967 »

There's a bit of free promotion through people posting their pics on social media..