Edfu

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Edfu

Post by carrie »

Went to Edfu temple yesterday, hoards and hoards of tourists there, apparently all the cruise boats tie up in Edfu Monday morning and take their guests to the temple. So if anyone else is thinking of visiting try to avoid Monday morning.
After about an hour they all disappeared back to their boats and peace and harmony was restored. It's so long since I visited a temple or tomb and found other people there it came as quite a shock, thank goodness Silsila was just the same. Yildez and I wandering round with nary a tourist in sight except for the numerous cruise boats sailing past.
When we have visited before it has always been pre lunch and seen Silsila in the full glare of the mid day sun, this time it was a little later and the difference the light made was remarkable. I love Silsila. Then back home and past the forbidding fortress of El Kab ugh!

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Edfu

Post by Brian Yare »

Not just Monday mornings. But I agree it is a nuisance when several boats arrive at the same time. It would be so much more pleasant for all concerned if they were to coordinate their visits. Spread the load on the sites throughout the day. Avoid the Queues at Esna Locks.

The same applies to the major attractions at Luxor. If the coach operators were to stagger their arrival times at e.g., VotK, Deir el Bahari, Medinet Habu, it would be so much more pleasant. Maybe the tourists would see a bit more of the monuments and a bit less of each other.

But it will never happen. They have their fixed routes, itineraries and minds, and there is precious little flexibility.

In the hotter months I can understand why they visit early in the day, but at this time of year ...