Lecture By Salah Elmasekh

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Lecture By Salah Elmasekh

Post by BBLUX »

Many of those who live in Luxor will have met or know Salah.
He is the Egyptologist who carried out the excavations at the front of Karnak Temple over the last 10 years revealing the Roman Bath complex and old harbour wall.

He will be giving a talk tomorrow evening, Thurday 3rd January at the Thebes Hotel on the West Bank. The talk starts at 6PM and is in an enclosed room on the roof of the hotel. if you wish to eat, the full hotel menu will be available after the talk.
I can thoroughly recommend their food having eaten there on a number of occasions.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Lecture By Salah Elmasekh

Post by carrie »

Following your recommendation I and friends went there yesterday for lunch. The food was great and now that the dining room has been glassed in makes it much warmer and more comfortable. Don't know if I can make the lecture but will definitely be taking Yildez there to eat.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Was the lecture any good ? was it warm ? was there a bar ? What was it about ?
Many people ?......... 8)
Ps: Sadly to say: This time of year I enjoy a blazing log fire, mulled wine & a film.... 8)
'Sadly my cross eyed bear' geddit ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

Yes and yes. Lecture was about his work over the last 8 or so years excavating the huge area in front of Karnak Temple revealing the Roman baths etc.
He is now working in the VOK around Ramesses 7 tomb with ZH

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I dont go to all the lectures, but of all those I have been to, I thought these were the best and most interesting slides.
This is important to me because I often find the accents of the lecturers difficult to follow.
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Very glad you enjoyed it. He's a great speaker and a lovely person that we have been fortunate enough to know for about 10 years.

We asked repeatedly if he could do a lecture when they were held regularly at the Mummification Museum but it never happened, so glad it finally has.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I see the 'Prat in the Hat got his 'face into The Queen of Belgium at the Marsam on Thursday.
She (Mrs Queen) apologized saying 'she couldn't pop round for tea at my gaff,
but did give us a wave as she zoomed by.... 8)
Saturday shopping on the 'dark-side still high security, but I have my own BG's...
Ps: That's 15 kilograms of dog food on Mona's head on the right.lol
Sophocles.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

FABlux wrote:... when they were held regularly at the Mummification Museum.....
How long since any were held, Fran? I thought by now they would have resumed as per pre-revolution.
Carpe diem! :le:
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

They never did resume properly, there were the odd ones but not the regular winter series.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Such a shame. Do you know why?
Carpe diem! :le:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

A lovely terrace overlooking the Nile and .......and....'no bar we once had Mango Juice there, mind you they gave me that at a party at the Egyptian Embassy in London once, vile stuff..
Stan and I would beat a hasty retreat after to The Met and all those archaeologists drinkers, just dying for a drink.
Mind you, hated zee French Archi's couldn't understand half of what they were saying.
I once gave a relatively impromptu but be-it brief lecture, all about aeration of Karnak pool,
avec water fountain screens with which to project upon ect...
I was a bit p*ssed, I remember swinging my legs, whilst sitting on the edge of the stage, the mike held properly in hand.
I probably thought I was rather good, I was wearing my 'I'm an explorer gear.
Stan usually wore his 'I'm a mad professor looking gear...
I actually quite enjoyed them and quite an eclectic bunch and always packed out,
whatever they were discussing, usually 'old stuff..... 8)
Ps: Mind You! without BBLuxs help there would have been no sound or pictures...
Sophocles.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

I've enjoyed several lectures at the Mummification Museum, and am sad that they're no longer part of my anticipated pleasures during my Luxor visits. Are there any other lectures/events scheduled for January?
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

As mentioned earlier lectures at the Mummification museum are no more.

However our venue since the beginning of 2018 is the Thebes Hotel on the West Bank. Only about 15 minutes walk up from the ferry or 4 minutes by taxi or tuk tuk.

I will post again as soon as more have been arranged once the various missions have returned to their dig sites. There have already been some before Christmas but I was not around to post about them.

Do check on the Thebes Hotel Facebook page as well
https://www.facebook.com/pg/thebeshotel/posts/
They post about the upcoming lectures.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

BBLUX wrote:Yes and yes. Lecture was about his work over the last 8 or so years excavating the huge area in front of Karnak Temple revealing the Roman baths etc.
He is now working in the VOK around Ramesses 7 tomb with ZH
Thank you so much BBLUX, for bringing such wonderful news about Salah. Below I shall copy out part of my written work that I wrote up on this forum under the title of,...AS I SEE IT - The Good News, and posted on Wednesday July 29th 2009 at 11-04p.m.

...........'The ultimate is just outside the Karnack precinct, and to the north. You may remember I reported a couple of years ago on a young Egyptian archaeologist, who had previously 'cut himself above from the rest' in Abydos. Now, he has opened up this area, to show that there were shops and homes within the very same area, a real eye opener'........

How time flies by, almost ten years since that time. I do know that he never liked the idea of working in the Kings,...... but if you do see him again BB, you can tell him that Hawass must dig at least ten foot of Carter spoil, before doing any real digging around the tomb of Ram V11.

As I am sure you are aware, some eight years ago Hawass dug up most of the Central Valley of the Kings, and up towards Merenptah to bed rock, he found nothing. I understand an American TV company is paying for the present panto in them there hills. I wonder, all those years ago did the old dog plant anything,...........and I don't mean trees.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

Not just in the central VOK A-Four. He also had a large chunk of hillside stripped to the bedrock near the tomb of Ay in the Western Valley. Found nothing their either. I was told by a very old Guardian that he was looking in the wrong place ;)

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

BBLUX wrote:Not just in the central VOK A-Four. He also had a large chunk of hillside stripped to the bedrock near the tomb of Ay in the Western Valley. Found nothing their either. I was told by a very old Guardian that he was looking in the wrong place ;)
I am more than sure that, the 'old Guardian' also may have informed you that, when they cleared the vast amount of spoil they deposited it in an area that would have given them sound evidence as to the actual tomb of the elusive person of whom they were seeking in the Western Valley, hopefully now buried safely for a further thousand years,......at least.

I hope and pray.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Following on from 'The Prat in the Hat' As he has his foot in the door again,
is the reason that there are few foreign archaeological missions working this season.
The man is a total disgrace and a lot more.
Along with tour guides ripping off all and sundry at 70% commision,
They have both bought this tourist industry to it's knees.
Self serving b*st*rds the lot... 8)
Ps: They offered a restaurateur friend 15le per head whilst charging the tourists 100le for lunchtime coaches..
Can you cook a meal for 15le ? they told him to f off....
Sophocles.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

I have also heard the same from local restaurant owners. Regarding commissions to guides/reps etc. many years ago we were out an about with an Egyptian friend and called into a shop to look for something. We left without buying anything and our friend looked rather uncomfortable. He told me that the shop owner had whispered to him that he would give him 70% of anything we purchased!

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote: Ps: They offered a restaurateur friend 15le per head whilst charging the tourists 100le for lunchtime coaches..
Can you cook a meal for 15le ? they told him to f off....
There were even worse things than that my dear Dr, for many years while I was there and I am sure many will remember, many tour groups would leave their hotels in Luxor each armed with a hotel prepared lunch box. Half way through their tour of the West Bank, they would call in at one of a number of the restaurants there. Upto fourty people would then eat there already prepared lunches.

The only money the owners of such restaurants made was from the sale of drinks, such as cola or water. On one particular occasion when I was in a very well known place, most of the tourist had the nerve to ask for a glass to pour their already purchased water. With regards the 70% commission at the factory shops on the West Bank this has always been so for as long as I can remember.

If you think these cases were bad, you only have to look at the early days of the likes of Thomas Cook and Thomson, they would often charge clients upto £150 per person for balloon rides, and I do mean English £'s. The days when felucca captains became so lazy, they simply paid a young boy with limited English to stand on the Cornisch, all day for the equivalent of 50p + 10%.

Years ago there were so many things that pointed to the ending of mass European tourism to Luxor, though I believe it was when new tourist were able to read up on the Internet as to the real prices, rather than pay the extortionate ones that the likes of Thomson were asking,...........and of which most of their real profits were made.