SOHAG: EGYPT'S NEW MUSEUM

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

SOHAG: EGYPT'S NEW MUSEUM

Post by Winged Isis »

THIS IS THE STORY OF SOHAG: EGYPT'S FORGOTTEN TREASURE TROVE AND ITS BRAND NEW MUSEUM
A land quite literally peppered with ancient history, Sohag’s archaeological depth is now in full bloom.

13/08/2018 19:24

For whatever reason, you don’t think much of anything when the word Sohag comes up in any conversation. You probably only remember it from social studies class, or maybe you have kin whiling away their years there, but nothing much else.

You don’t hear a whole lot about the numerous, glorious vestiges of the past littering its urban landscape. You don’t have much of an idea of how storied almost each and every nook and cranny is. Temples steeped in Pharaonic legacy, monasteries covered in intricate Coptic symbolism, mosques that tell tales of a time gone by, and much, much more hiding in plain sight.

Sohag is a veritable gold mine of archaeological wealth. Whether it’s the remnants of Seti I’s New Kingdom Temple in Abydos, the long-buried head of the god Osiris, intricate textiles from Ottoman times, or the innumerable artefacts left by royalty once revered, this unfairly-vague little slice of Egypt is a theme park to any would-be history buff.

Now that the Sohag National Museum is finally open to the public after all these years, folks far and wide can immerse themselves in its meticulously curated and organised exhibits, a whole 8,700 square metres of history splayed out to all for only EGP 20. A simple tithe to see what the land of past kings has to offer.

945 pieces of tangible history litter both floors of the temple-esque monument to the past, guarded by five massive sculptures of the goddess Sekhmet. All indicative of the kind of heritage that gives Sohag its ancient, unique flavour, echoing an endearing sentiment shared by the head of the Antiquities Ministry’s Museum Sector, Elham Salah “Every regional museum should reflect the city or town in which it is located.”

Though we could while away the hours (or likely days) dissecting each and every aspect of Sohag’s enigmatic history and beauty, we’d rather you take a day off and explore it for yourself.

The Museum’s newly-opened doors are more a gateway to the human aspects and dealings of our forerunners than a simple threshold into what can only be described as Egypt’s premier historic homage.

If you fancy yourself an appreciator of the ancient, a fan of the unjustly forlorn, or just a happy-go-lucky sort with a passion for discovery, Sohag and its now-iconic museum should be your next destination.

You can check out more stunning photos of the Sohag National Museum as well as the city's sites here.

PHOTOS HERE: http://cairoscene.com/ArtsAndCulture/so ... tX-sUs4lpc

Carpe diem! :le:
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Re: SOHAG: EGYPT'S NEW MUSEUM

Post by Yildez »

Carrie, how about a visit in January? Sounds excellent!
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Please report back!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Long way from Luxor Yildez I would love to go but doubt if we could do it in one day. Let me check.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Just had a look, my geography is completely up the swannie, I thought it was further than Assuit but it's not. Looks like a goer. I really fancy it. :)
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

That's a definite date Carrie!!
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Just over 220km, probably 2 to 2,5 hours. Easily do-able.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

carrie wrote:Just had a look, my geography is completely up the swannie, I thought it was further than Assuit but it's not. Looks like a goer. I really fancy it. :)
Just got back home from being away, but can tell you there are three ways you can get to Sohag, by either road or rail. I do not think that things have speeded up in the past few years, so therefore I can tell you either way, such a journey from Luxor to Sohag would take no less than four and a half hours under normal circumstances.

Sohag is a very different place to Luxor, and I know from reading your past writing on here Carrie, you know and appreciate Quinna, Sohag is fantastic,.......will write a little more on the subject tomorrow night.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Winged Isis wrote:Just over 220km, probably 2 to 2,5 hours. Easily do-able.
Probably a bit optimistic.

Coaches/ taxis take up to 3 hrs to reach Abydos and the museum is a further hour onwards.

Not the best of Egyptian roads either!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Yeh but if we take the desert road from the west bank here to Qena shouldn't take too long and if there are toilets en route I will be quite happy.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Yeh but if we take the desert road from the west bank here to Qena shouldn't take too long and if there are toilets en route I will be quite happy.
Good point. I was forgetting you're on the West Bank......and it's only 40 mins to Qena along the West Bank highway.

I'm sure there's no shortage of ditches for comfort stops :lol:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Travelling by road North from Luxor is quite deceptive, for example to Quinna whether from East or West Bank Luxor the journey will take the same time, although West Bank road may seem the best option, a vehicle still has to cross the river before getting into the centre.

Many taxi drivers from WB Luxor love to travel by the desert super highway, but the problem is, to travel north the connect road is south of Armant, then west before connecting to the super highway at a cross roads in the desert. This journey is fast but certainly nothing like a direct route. Alternatively there is the desert road north of Tariffe on the WB Luxor, then take the agricultural road towards El Baliarna (Abydos), then continue along the route north to Sohag, which is on the west side of the Nile. Which ever route, toilet facilities are zero.

Quite honestly the best route would be by train, being around four and half hours, visit the museum, which really needs half a day, stay over night at good hotel which there are many there. The next day take a half day excursion to Akhmim, which is five miles to the east of Sohag, over the bridge. There you will discover 6,000 years of history, read up carefully before your visit, and be amazed. Return to Sohag after morning visit, lunch and dinner in town before taking the evening train back to Luxor, arriving either around 9-30p.m. Or the later arrival around 11p.m.

P.S.- Seek advice on recent security measures that may be in force.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Travelling by road North from Luxor is quite deceptive, for example to Quinna whether from East or West Bank Luxor the journey will take the same time, although West Bank road may seem the best option, a vehicle still has to cross the river before getting into the centre.

Many taxi drivers from WB Luxor love to travel by the desert super highway, but the problem is, to travel north the connect road is south of Armant, then west before connecting to the super highway at a cross roads in the desert. This journey is fast but certainly nothing like a direct route. Alternatively there is the desert road north of Tariffe on the WB Luxor, then take the agricultural road towards El Baliarna (Abydos), then continue along the route north to Sohag, which is on the west side of the Nile. Which ever route, toilet facilities are zero.

Quite honestly the best route would be by train, being around four and half hours, visit the museum, which really needs half a day, stay over night at good hotel which there are many there. The next day take a half day excursion to Akhmim, which is five miles to the east of Sohag, over the bridge. There you will discover 6,000 years of history, read up carefully before your visit, and be amazed. Return to Sohag after morning visit, lunch and dinner in town before taking the evening train back to Luxor, arriving either around 9-30p.m. Or the later arrival around 11p.m.

P.S.- Seek advice on recent security measures that may be in force.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Obviously opened a new motorway there Hafiz, to do it in that time just before we left it took me almost 3 hours 15 mins with a coffee stop.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The desert road has been open years.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

But it takes longer than 2-2.5 hours Carrie...
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:The desert road has been open years.
And if you stick to it (I think it is called route 60) you avoid Qena town itself, and Abydos.You stay to the west of the Nile at all times.

It takes about 3 hrs to Sohag, barring any stops for nature or security. I've never used it beyond Qena.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Yep I went with Stan and Yildez years ago to Abydos and we never went though Qena. Did get a bit lost on the way back looking for a pyramid.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

carrie wrote:Yep I went with Stan and Yildez years ago to Abydos and we never went though Qena. Did get a bit lost on the way back looking for a pyramid.
There are three pyramids in that area around Abydos, though only one resembles something of such a shape, for future reference it is along a road that borders desert on one side and vegetation on the other, slightly south of a village called Naga Al Ghabat, quite near the village cemetary, and a few miles south of Abdos. (The road is quite poor, most cars would avoid it.)

Today I had a chat with a friend who knows Sohag and its surrounding areas quite well, he told me that the best route would be via the Western Agricultural Road, after turning off the Desert Road just outside El Baliana, and to follow this road north all the way to Sohag, which passes the international airport there. My friend also confirmed that the total journey would be in excess of four and half hours. Like myself he gave the same recommendations as I gave with regards such a journey. There is far more to see than the museum, read carefully about the area, and you will certainly appreciate your time there.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Yildez and I always enjoy ourselves where ever we are. Except shopping!