How important is it?

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

How important is it?

Post by HEPZIBAH »

How important is it to continue digging up old burials?

Is there really any purpose in much of the archaeology that goes on today?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: How important is it?

Post by Horus »

I know where you are coming from on this one Hepzi, I do sometimes wonder if the results are worth all the effort. A few more human remains to add to the pile they already have, but does it really advance what we already know so far? On one hand you could say that once they can see it is a normal burial with nothing special they should just leave it alone, but if you do so do you risk missing something of importance? It seems to me that most of what we know so far comes from the monuments and tomb wall decoration and some of the royal mummies with inscriptions and DNA testing. However, what if they were to discover say a papyrus buried with a common worker that detailed how they actually built the pyramids, what type of ramps they used etc. now that could settle a few arguments. Ancient Egypt seemed to have been pretty stable over long periods when it comes to certain practices and customs which usually changed slowly over time and it appears that we already have examples of all these periods, certainly when it comes to the Pharaohs. Maybe we know less about the common man, but is there really much to find out anyway? :tk
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Interesting question Hepzibah!

The stock answer is usually something along these lines :

"The goal of archaeology is to understand how and why human behavior has changed over time. Archaeologists search for patterns in the evolution of significant cultural events such as the development of farming, the emergence of cities, or the collapse of major civilizations for clues of why these events occurred. Ultimately, they are searching for ways to better predict how cultures will change, including our own, and how to better plan for the future."

http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/portal/comm ... ology.html

Whether we actually take to heart the lessons of history in planning for the future is arguable :lol:

Personally....I see it as a unique (and inexplicable) feature of our species.....the ceaseless search for where we came from and where we might be heading. Why we spend billions of dollars on the esoteric study of the distant universe is another question. We're unlikely to stray beyond the bounds of our planet, let alone the solar system and the stars are, in all likelihood, way beyond our reach.

Do other animals, even our close cousins, think about their past and future? Not as far as we know. But what do we know of the mind of, say, a chimpanzee?

But the distant past, here on earth, and what our distant future might be continues to fascinate us. Well...some of us! Going back to archaeology :

"Knowing about our past is very important to widen our understanding about our existence. It is also very important to know where we came from and how our ancestors lived and interacted with their surroundings long time ago. Archaeology gives us links to travel in time and know all about how human beings lived and survived a long time ago at a particular place. It would suffice to say that archaeology serves as a gateway to our past. It compliments history and backs its claims with the help of hard evidence in the form of artifacts."

http://pediaa.com/why-is-archaeology-important/

Is it important? Is this an objective view?

I can only answer for myself. I find it fascinating. Why? I don't know....but for me , it is :wi
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Moan moan, well it's a lot better than working for a living.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:Moan moan, well it's a lot better than working for a living.... 8)
Robbing graves ...or banks? ;)
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

So many times what was thought to be buried at a site is something different: as it's covered, it's a very educated guess. So many times what they find instead is so much better. Skeletons and corpses can aid medical science, leading to cures and treatments.

I love it! My favourite occupation when I can get to one.,
Carpe diem! :le:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I wonder if the Pharaohs visited Thier ancestors in the tombs back in the day. ?

You would think that if the tombs and bodies were preserved so well, then why not. ?

After all, you know what they say about those failing to learn from history.....

Another thing that I think about is the rope that was used to seal king Tut's tomb was still in reasonable condition after all that time..... Weird or what ?

I'm sure the usual suspects will have a scientific answer for the latter question.

So what is a reasonable time span to pass before the establishment think it's ok to go grave robbing. ?
It's just that my grandad was buried in 1979 with a nice Rolex watch, and it would be of more use to me than to him right now....

so should I get my spade out or maybe employ some west Yorkshire workers to do the job for me while I down a cocktail during my overseeing of the exhumation.

Cheers. :wi
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

So what is a reasonable time span to pass before the establishment think it's ok to go grave robbing. ?
It's just that my grandad was buried in 1979 with a nice Rolex watch, and it would be of more use to me than to him right now..
Find someone who says they're a descendant of someone who says they're a "love child" of your granddad and wishes to make a claim against his estate.

A DNA test will be required to prove their claim and....hey presto!

Worked for the exhumation of Salvador Dali ;)
Another thing that I think about is the rope that was used to seal king Tut's tomb was still in reasonable condition after all that time..... Weird or what ?
Maybe the dry conditions?

It's certainly not a unique phenomenon. Funerary boats from the Old Kingdom have been found with their pegs and ropes preserved.

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/arch ... -preserved

Of course it could be the work of "ancients" or perhaps an attempt by students to fool the world by burying a recently constructed funeral boat in the Egyptian desert. Think "crop circles".
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Well as no doubt I am one of your “usual suspects“, then I suppose that the short answer is that the rope is organic like most other things preserved in a similar way in a hot dry climate. The rope on Tutankhamen’s door seal is nothing like as old as these ropes found in the Khufu boat pit at Giza which are 4500 years old and as the boat was probably used on water they saw more stress than a rope on a door seal would see. Although I am not quite sure what your point is? Because the rope found on the door seal was probably in a similar condition to those in the boat pit which is ‘intact’ and looking like rope, but hardly describable as being usable again in a practical way. The rope like everything else is just some organic material surviving the passage of time due to unique ground conditions, no different than Ötzi the natural preserved ice man who was probably lying in the Alps from before the pyramids were being built, he had lots of preserved organic stuff on his body also. A more modern example would be the leather items dug up in places like York (Yorvic) from Viking settlements and from places like Vindolandia near to Hadrian’s Wall which was a Roman fort, both places preserved leather items due to a peaty (acidic) soil.

Original Khufu Boat ropes

They could not use the old ropes

Edit: You beat me to it again Newcastle ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Well as no doubt I am one of your “usual suspects“, then I suppose that the short answer ......

Edit: You beat me to it again Newcastle ;)
I'm sure JL isn't a complete moron and just throws in these "queries" to wind us up :lol:

Good game, good game!!

Gives us something to do to fill in a few minutes.

On occasion, researching a topic can be add to one's own store of knowledge - so the time isn't entirely wasted :cg
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Gives us something to do to fill in a few minutes.
All it does for me is to set me off on a long search through my many thousands of photographs in order to find a few suitable examples to add to my post. :x :lol: :lol:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

After I return from paradise, I will explain further and perhaps attempt to unravel a mystery. Although I will only be able to lead you to the door. You will have to open that door.....

Despite my initial opinion of Howard Carter, I do believe this man was very clever and left us a couple of clues about his Discovery, or rather he removed a couple of pieces of evidence that was leading us up the garden path...

TBC........ :br
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

After I return from paradise
Where are you going Rhyl or Blackpool? :P
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I assumed JL's "posted from" flag was la-la land...but, on closer inspection, it's Mexico.

If it's paradise it must be a bit away from the earthquake......
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

What earthquake...... 8)

Can't happen here, can it ? I don't know..

All that you fear, they're telling you, '

One day soon, that unearthly child's reign of terror will be over. :tk
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote:What earthquake...... 8)

Can't happen here, can it ? I don't know..

All that you fear, they're telling you, '
Oh....I forgot.

Mustn't believe everything you read in the papers or see on TV.

Probably a Mexican scam to con the international community into dishing out relief funds under false pretenses :urm:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Normally from the past and from remains they can tell of disease's etc and maybe learn new techniques etc. I think this is just another story to get tourism interested again after all the Mummy's are not Pharaoh's or anyone of great importance. I believe in Italy because of the lack of burial ground they dig you up after 10 years anyway and stick the remains in a Bone Vault in a wall and brick it back up again. Some people get a kick from the Macabre but I think its dyeing out now. If this new finding was a Pharaoh's tomb I could understand the interest. I don't think though this will create a lot of outside interest, maybe from Fenella Fielding or Derek Achora. Mind you if there's a bit of gold in it, they can always melt it down and start paying back what the Country owes!