New Town

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

New Town

Post by carrie »

Just heard on the BBC that a town has been discovered near the river Nile that is said to be at least 5000 years old. Near the Nile could mean anywhere has anyone more information as to it's location?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: New Town

Post by newcastle »

It was at, or rather near, Abydos.

It's interesting in being pre-dynastic....and , unusually, dicovered by an Egyptian (rather than foreign) team. This aspect seems to be receiving particular prominence ;)

Al-Masry Al-Youm

The head of the Egyptian Antiquities Sector, Mahmoud Afify, announced Wednesday the discovery of a cemetery and a residential city dating back to 5,316 BCE, the beginning of an important dynastic period.

The discovery was made during excavations conducted by an Egyptian archaeological mission belonging to the Ministry of Antiquities, 400 meters south of King Seti I Temple at Abydos city in Sohag governorate.

The cemetery and residential city most probably belonged to senior officials who were responsible for building the cemeteries of the royal family in Abydos city.

Remains of huts and daily life tools were found in the site, including the remains of pottery and stone tools, which indicates that the residential city supplied the labor force engaged in the construction of royal tombs with food and drink, according to Afify.

Afify stressed the importance of this discovery, saying it could lead to new information on the history of Abydos city and on ancient Egyptian history in general.

He praised the fact that the discovery had been made by an archaeological mission that belongs to the Antiquities Ministry, and not a foreign mission.

As for the head of the Central Administration of Upper Egypt Antiquities, Hany Aboul Azm, he commented that the mission has so far discovered 15 huge cemeteries made of mudbrick.

Aboul Azm said that the huge size of the tombs underlines the importance of their owners, their influence and social status during that early period of ancient Egyptian history.

The cemeteries are distinguished by many mastabas -- a type of ancient Egyptian tomb made of mudbrick, rectangular in plan with sloping sides and a flat roof -- up to four in some cemeteries, said Yasser Mahmoud Hussein, the head of the mission which made the discovery.

The oldest known mastabas were all located in Saqqara, before this discovery was made in Abydos, he pointed out.

Hussein explained that the mission comprises a group of young Egyptian archaeologists specialized in excavations, pottery, paintings and human bones.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/an ... red-abydos
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Thanks Newcastle :)
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

From what little I have heard, this might be the legendary Thinis, in the Thinite nome.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Is that the legendary Tanis as in the Mummy ?..... 8)
a classic in my book....

Ps: As for nomes: "What's the difference between a retarded gnome and a genius gnome?
Spoiler
Nothing.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:Is that the legendary Tanis as in the Mummy ?..... 8)
Nope.

Tanis is a city in the north-eastern Nile Delta of Egypt. It is located on the Tanitic branch of the Nile which has long since silted up.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Brian Yare wrote:From what little I have heard, this might be the legendary Thinis, in the Thinite nome.
Thinis is believed to be in the vicinity of Abydos, but known only from historic documents. The new discoveries are in the right location (as far as I can guess), but we will need inscriptions to prove the name of the settlement.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

No it is not Thinis - Thinis is further north near Girga.

This "new" discovery has been known about for some time. If you go to the back of Seti's Temple and turn left is is along there before you get tho the 12th dynasty town ( about 500 meters further on) and the 18th dynasty town (about 1,000 meters further on)
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I think that must be the place that Yildez and I were trying to find when we last went to Abydos, climbing the hill and looking for it in the distance.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

carrie wrote:I think that must be the place that Yildez and I were trying to find when we last went to Abydos, climbing the hill and looking for it in the distance.
No Carrie, that was Kom el Sultan, to the right of Seti Temple. However we were walking towards the area of this new find when one of the Guardians insisted we couldn't go there; instead he allowed us to offer baksheesh to go down the wooden ladder to the Oseirion. If you remember, I rapidly changed my mind after a good look at the rotten rungs :o He was not amused, so neglected to accompany us over to Ramses Temple, providing us with the chance to examine the tunnel entrance, and then strike off over the desert in the direction of Kom el Sultan. :D :D :D

You do lead me astray!!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Ah yes I remember it well. :lol:
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Kevininabydos wrote:No it is not Thinis - Thinis is further north near Girga.

This "new" discovery has been known about for some time. If you go to the back of Seti's Temple and turn left is is along there before you get tho the 12th dynasty town ( about 500 meters further on) and the 18th dynasty town (about 1,000 meters further on)
So far as I am aware there is no evidence that the site near Girga is/was Thinis. but only speculation. Of course you have been close to the action in Abydos, but if you know of any evidence perhaps you could share it?

Everybody will, of course, want their site to be Thinis!