Children dying looting treasures

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kevininabydos
Palestine

Children dying looting treasures

Post by Kevininabydos »

They are only now catching on this is happening - unbelievable.......

"Since the 2011 Egyptian revolution, political instability and a tourism decline have led to widespread looting of archaeological sites — with deadly consequences.

Children forced to work in dangerous conditions to pillage historical sites have died. Antiquities guards were gunned down within an ancient tomb they were trying to protect. Mummies have been left out in the sun to rot after their tombs were robbed. And looting pits have pockmarked ancient sites in such vast numbers that words cannot adequately describe."

to read more follow the link....

http://www.livescience.com/55687-childr ... oting.html

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Children dying looting treasures

Post by Major Thom »

Nothing surprises me, high inflation, poverty, high prices and no work lead to people getting desperate to feed their families. Unfirunately I feel it will get worse before getting better. All these things put more pressure on the Security Authorities in Egypt.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Not wanting to put light on the statement, but children, because of their size and the ease of being easily persuaded by an adult or brute force, threats and easy money have been used in all countries for generations to carry out illegal practices . Today, in this country as in others, many die as the result of being ''used'' by others, and not just in the archeological industry, as that is what it is to these folk, a high potential earnings industry with a ''small outlay'', so I would consider the children's lives and welfare in the other sectors creating death, maiming and abuse that happen every hour of the day under the watchful eyes of the disinterested that could help them but do not, of more concern than placing any importance on what is being looted and left to disintegrate in the sun. What lives today is the future heritage of a country, not that which is already dead and dust. IMO.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Dusak wrote:I would consider the children's lives and welfare in the other sectors creating death, maiming and abuse that happen every hour of the day under the watchful eyes of the disinterested that could help them but do not, of more concern than placing any importance on what is being looted and left to disintegrate in the sun.
The fact that other sectors create death and abuse should not make us less concerned about the looting and loss of children's lives that does not happen right before our own eyes.

I remember that Kevin told us about this looting five years ago, frustrated that noone cared.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I was placing my emphasis on ALL children's lives, not the damage done to human remains, tombs and what is being despoiled by the thieves. I suppose its how you read into it. And if this was reported on five years ago, then it speaks volumes on how much importance they placed on it then and now. Bugger all.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.