Nefertari and Seti I tombs to open.

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Nefertari and Seti I tombs to open.

Post by newcastle »

Plans are afoot to open both these beautifully restored tombs to the general public from October.

1000le per person (not clear if that's for both).

Excellent value IMO .

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Nefertari and Seti I tombs to open.

Post by Brian Yare »

Probably for each, and with a limited time of 10m for Nefertari.

This is the going rate ($1000 for a group of 10 visitors) but presented in a different way.

http://www.sca-egypt.org/eng/pdfs/MR_Site-fees.pdf
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

£100 quid daylight robbery, hardly an enticement to bring those tourists flocking back.
£10 quid max IMO even that's TTP....8)

Ps: I'm sure that 50le to the guy on the gate will suffice.
Pss: If your that mad about seeing them, I would hurry along as soon they will be closed because Factum Arte are reproducing
them as we speak!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

You need to change money dealers if all you're getting is 10le to the £ Who2!

Factum Arte repros are years away...if ever.

I doubt they expect a resurgence of tourism on the back of this....nor was that the main motive.

£80...each tomb if necessary. ...suits me. I hope the time limit isn't as daft as10mins.....or they'll have to find me and drag me out first :lol:
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Yes, I'd be more than willing to pay it for these 2 tombs. On my first visit in 1999, I could have bought a ticket for Nefatari's tomb for £20. I thought it too expensive at the time, but that's because I knew very little about the tombs or Egyptology then. Of course I've kicked myself many, many times since then. I'm not sure if I'll be in Luxor this winter :urm: :urm: but if I am and the tombs are open, you'll see me in the queue!!!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

[quote="newcastle"]You need to change money dealers if all you're getting is 10le to the £ Who2!

Factum Arte repros are years away...if ever.

I doubt they expect a resurgence of tourism on the back of this....nor was that the main motive.

"Well not when I was chatting to them over a beer in the Marsam last week... 8)
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I'm well aware of Factum Arte's hopes.

But it's still in the "under consideration " stage.

And bear in mind that the wall surfaces we' re talking about must be at least 10 times bigger than Tut's tomb and any replica tombs would require excavation/ construction on a similarly greater scale.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

One month has passed since Factum Arte’s Carlos and Aliaa began recording the Tomb of Seti I in the Valley of the Kings, Luxor. So far, the walls in the Hall of Beauties have all been scanned at high resolution with the Lucida 3D scanner, and Factum Arte’s digital restorer, Gabriel Scarpa, is now carrying out photogrammetric recording of the tomb!
Keep updated at http://www.factum-arte.com/

And ?..... 8)

Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Thanks Who2...useful link.

You suggested we'd need to be quick to catch the opened tombs of Seti I and Nefertari as " soon they will be closed because Factum Arte are reproducing them".

I don't recall KV62 being closed (at least, not permanently ) while Factum Arte scanned it.

KV62 may well be closed (except for academic research ) now that we have a replica.

Presumably Seti I and Nefertari will remain accessible whether or not Factum Arte are engaged in the repro project.

I still maintain the construction of a replica of Seti I, let alone Nefertari, is years away.

Not only do the extensive chambers and walls have to be recorded but also the various bits looted from the tomb after Belzoni 'discovered' it.....bits that are scattered around the world.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

More than happy to pay this for what may be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It would be lovely if it was for both, but if not, okay. Where are they usually sold i.e for the previous prices?
Carpe diem! :le:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

What with the recently restored tombs in Deir el Medina and now the possibility of seeing Seti I and Nefertari without being part of a group, I , for one, will certainly be heading for the West Bank come the cooler weather.

If I have to spend a day locating the tickets, so be it :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

It will certainly bring a bit of excitement back to visiting the tombs, I could easily be tempted.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

When you do come Newcastle to see those tombs please look for the man in the white wig cant remember the name of the tomb but one tomb is alone up the hill and the other two close to each other the white wig one is to the left of the two facing up the hill. If I am mistaken please correct me Yildez.
I am off to Karnak tomorrow bugger the heat not been there for ages.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Now here is one for you folks, I have visited the VOK on many occasions and in my own mind I am sure that I have visited the tomb of Seti 1. My problem is that as it was so long ago maybe around the year 2000 that I cannot be sure and of course the lack of any photographic record of my own from inside the tombs (other than a few) makes me unsure if my memory is correct or playing tricks. I seem to recall that at the time I had wanted to visit the tomb of Ramesses II a favourite of mine and had to make do (or so I thought at the time) with his fathers tomb. I recall it being a very long tomb and beautifully decorated, in particular the very fine limestone carvings on the walls that put many others to shame. Also if I am correct you could see (near the entrance and I think on the left hand side) some unfinished work that showed clearly the process from the initial outlines (in red) and then the corrections (in black) followed by the basic carving and then the smoothly finished, but un-painted figures and finally it became the partly then fully finished depictions of gods and Pharaohs. This particular section was not overly long, but appeared as if the workers had just decided to stop work at this point. As I say I am almost certain I have been inside this tomb, but stand to be corrected, I have visited so many over the years and that sticks in my mind, but I may be confusing it with another, does anyone know when this tomb was last closed to the public?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

From what I remember, even before the year 2000, it was rare to see this tomb in the King's Valley open. Anyone who has been inside it can never forget its beauty, and certainly measures up to Abydos standards. From entering the first passage you are met with raised relief in sumptuous colour that has the effect of a silk finish, unlike the matt effect you notice on similar coloured sunken relief of earlier tombs.

The tomb itself gives the impression of a new authority to the faith, especially with the layout of the burial chamber and of course the first use of the Book of Gates. Little work has been done on this tomb since Belzoni's days, with the exception of Sheikh Ali Abd er Rassul, who was convinced he would find treasure in a open tunnel off the burial chamber, his 'excavation' ended when he ran out of money. Around 1980 John Romer did some initial work at this same area, and suggested a possible link to K.V 16. The only other work since then has been the protective barriers at the entrance of the tombs in this immediate area against flash floods.

With regards Nefertari tomb in the so called Queen's Valley, it's very beautiful and this is the impression you get. HOWEVER, should you view both these tombs on the same day, you will realise quite easily that Nefertari's tomb resembles a modern 'painting by numbers' exercise, rather than the real thing,..........well, it was 'restored' by the Getty Institute, after all .
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Anyone who has been inside it can never forget its beauty, and certainly measures up to Abydos standards
That is the main reason that I am sure I have been inside it, my recollection of the quality of work when seen against the same style at Abydos which I always thought to be second to none. I have in the past been lucky enough to catch the odd tomb open in the VOK, so maybe this was such an occasion.