Egyptian Pharaoh, King Tut's Dagger Made From Meteorite

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egyptian Pharaoh, King Tut's Dagger Made From Meteorite

Post by DJKeefy »

King Tutankhamun, a famous Egyptian Pharaoh, is one of the most popular pharoahs in history. The discovery of his well-preserved tomb 1922 baffled archeologists because of its condition. Together with the pharaoh's body, some ornaments fit for a royalty were seen in his burial site including a seemingly normal dagger. But a recent study found out that the dagger was made from iron materials taken from a meteorite.

King Tut, as the pharaoh is more popularly known, is the 12th King of the Egyptian dynasty. Historically speaking, the young King who only ruled for approximately eight to nine years and was not as significant as the other rulers. But what made him popular is the contribution of his intact tomb to archeologists which evaded decay for more than 3,000 years. British archeologist Howard Carter lead the excavation of King Tutankhamun's tomb located in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt.

phpBB [video]

In the paper published in the journal of Meteorics and Planetary Science, the authors said that the use of meteoric iron in the past had been widely debated due to controversial results of previous studies. But a recent study on King Tut's dagger, discovered in 1925, confirms the ancient belief that the iron used in weaponry was from a meteorite.

The dagger, despite more than 3,000 years of isolation, remains untarnished with no evidence of rust when it was discovered by the same archeologist who unearthed Tutankhamun, according to a report by BBC.

To arrive at this mystifying finding, the researchers used portable x-ray fluorescence spectrometry, which the paper said to "strongly" support the meteoric origin of the dagger.

In 1970, it was first suggested that the dagger was made from meteors due to high nickel content, but the findings were not published. But after another set of rigorous scrutiny by German and Egyptian researchers, using their "non-invasive" x-ray techniques, it was proven that the dagger is made out of iron materials of an alien source.

"The blade's high Ni content, along with the minor amount of Co and a Ni/Co ratio of ~20, strongly suggests an extraterrestrial origin," said the authors of the paper in a statement.

What baffles the archeologist is the production aspect of the dagger, citing that the dagger exhibits mastery of ironwork during King Tut's time, which shows that ancient Egyptians are also ahead of their time.

"In the wake of other ancient people of the Mediterranean area were aware that these rare chunks of iron fell from the sky already in the 13th C. BCE, anticipating Western culture by more than two millennia," the paper's author added in a statement published by The Guardian.

According to the study, some other metal artifacts hammered into thin sheets are also made of meteoric iron materials.

Source: http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles ... eorite.htm

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Egyptian Pharaoh, King Tut's Dagger Made From Meteorite

Post by Horus »

This is not unique, people have been using meteorites as a source of metal for thousands of years, a meteorite thought to have crashed into the Greenland ice sheet around the Cape York Peninsula in north west Greenland, around 10,000 years ago split into at least eight large pieces one of them weighed over 31 tons and another over 22 tons. The Paleo-Eskimos have been making harpoons and knives from this meteoritic metal for at least several hundred years. I remember reading of an explorer (who's name I forget) coming across Inuit people using metal knives and forks and he assumed at the time that they had got them from the ill fated Franklin Expedition to discover the North West Passage when the two Royal Navy ships Erebus & Terror were trapped in the ice and everyone died of cold or starvation. It was later proven that these implements were in fact made from meteoritic iron.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

This may have not originally been his it may have been gift or passed down through the family .
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Didn't the Egyptians call it sky iron?
How are you Frater been missing some time?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Well is it not just a meteorite that is being worshipped inside a tent in Mecca?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I don't think they worship the "black stone" inside the Kaaba.

Maybe in pre-islamic days.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:I don't think they worship the "black stone" inside the Kaaba.

Maybe in pre-islamic days.
Well let me put it another way, they venerate the Kaaba and the 'black stone' is inside it. ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Ok :lol:

Provided we mean venerate in the sense of ' holding in high esteem.....having great respect for...'

Yours

BY Impersonator
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:Ok :lol:

Provided we mean venerate in the sense of ' holding in high esteem.....having great respect for...'

Yours

BY Impersonator
:lol: :lol: And a fine job you have done of it :up
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

carrie wrote:Didn't the Egyptians call it sky iron?
How are you Frater been missing some time?

I finished my bachelors and now working on my MBA however I'm not happy with my living situation its complicated..really.

Im having a hard time but I haven't lose the faith. Thanks for asking about me.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Keep struggling on Frater, good luck with the MA :)
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

Lol thanks