Tut's Coffins

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Tut's Coffins

Post by Winged Isis »

Has anyone read/heard why four coffins?

The faces all look different.

Did any other pharaoh/queen have that many? Unique, as far as I know. Correct me if you know better.

Carpe diem! :le:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Tut's Coffins

Post by newcastle »

Nested coffins ....sometimes as many as eight.....were the norm for elite burials.

https://www.hf.uio.no/ikos/english/rese ... ffins.html

Few pharoahs' mummies were found in situ.....apart from Tut.....but it's pretty certain they received similar burials. The burial of Psusennes I (the "silver" pharoah), was affected by the damp conditions of the delta. I can't recall the fate of any wooden coffins but the silver anthropoid coffin is magnificent. It lay inside a red sarcophagus recycled from Merenptah.

The other VoK burial that springs to mind is Yuya & Tjuyu....Yuya had 2/3 coffins and Tjuyu 2.

It seems clear that not all Tut's coffins were originally made for him....hence the variation in features. I imagine there would be some variation even without that.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Tut's Coffins

Post by Winged Isis »

Thanks newcastle, very interesting. I thought something similar, just haven't had time to google lately.

I've always visited Psusennes I's coffin when visiting Tut's, as I think it's just as magnificent and interesting.

You might like this that I just came across a couple of minutes ago:

Carpe diem! :le: