A Dutchman in Egypt

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

A Dutchman in Egypt

Post by Brian Yare »

I was frankly disappointed at the poor turn-out at Marcel Maessen's lecture at Nile Valley Hotel this evening, with the above title. Those present seemed to enjoy it, and the sound and noise problems of last year's lecture were rectified.

Was it the weather (very strong warm winds) or the lack of advertising that affected the attendance?

There was not even an advert outside the NVH or in the lobby so far as I could see. The only notification was on the t3-wy foundation's Facebook page 2 months ago.

How many people here remember Issinger's house next to what is now the Iberotel? It was a red and white horizontally striped castle-like mansion demolished about 40 years ago.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: A Dutchman in Egypt

Post by carrie »

I enjoyed the lecture but as you said Brian poorly advertised. Did however get rained on.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

carrie wrote:I enjoyed the lecture but as you said Brian poorly advertised. Did however get rained on.
I didn't notice rain during the lecture, but we had a sprinkling later in the evening. More than yesterday. And the wind, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khamsin.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Brian Yare wrote:I was frankly disappointed at the poor turn-out at Marcel Maessen's lecture at Nile Valley Hotel this evening,
carrie wrote:I enjoyed the lecture but as you said Brian poorly advertised.
What stopped you from letting us know that there would be a poorly advertised lecture?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Because I was only told that someone thought there was a lecture in the afternoon and as Brian said there was no notice at the hotel, didn't want to tell anyone about it if I wasn't sure it was taking place.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

It was also advertised on the EEF news on Thursday. Many people who had said they were coming failed to turn up.
However two archaeologists who had been working down at Gebelein managed to get to it.

For those interested the lecture content can be seen here:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The t3.wy Foundation for Historical Research in Egyptology added 8 new photos — with Marcel Maessen. ·
Some shots from last night's lecture.
About 35 people attended which, considering the high temperatures and an important Rugby match on television, was not bad at all! Thank you all for attending and until November

https://web.facebook.com/t3.wy.foundation/?_rdr
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

BBLUX wrote:It was also advertised on the EEF news on Thursday. Many people who had said they were coming failed to turn up.
However two archaeologists who had been working down at Gebelein managed to get to it.

For those interested the lecture content can be seen here:
Fascinating!

I wonder if the Kingdom of the Netherlands still owns that plot of land next to the Iberotel :lol:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Now I was a little confused, I thought he said the land where the Four Seasons was to be built next to the Ibotel, but then they spoke about it being where Club Med is which is further up. Since it seemed to be a long thin building pointing toward the Nile it can't have stretched so far.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

From the map on the video it's that plot next to Iberotel earmarked for a Four Seasons hotel.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

carrie wrote:Now I was a little confused, I thought he said the land where the Four Seasons was to be built next to the Ibotel, but then they spoke about it being where Club Med is which is further up. Since it seemed to be a long thin building pointing toward the Nile it can't have stretched so far.
I think the Gazebo was alleged to be on the Club Med site.