Maia - wet nurse of Tutankhamun

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Maia - wet nurse of Tutankhamun

Post by newcastle »

The tomb of Tut's wet nurse, Maia, in the Saqqara necropolis is to opened soon (ha! ha!) to the public.

Discovered in 1996 by French egyptologist Alain Zivie, it will be an interesting addition to the recent tomb openings.

Zivie's idea that Maia is, in fact, the princess Meritaten (later Great Royal wife of Smenkhare) is nothing short of bizarre!

Was he on something? :lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015 ... his-sister

Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Maia - wet nurse of Tutankhamun

Post by Frater0082 »

newcastle wrote:The tomb of Tut's wet nurse, Maia, in the Saqqara necropolis is to opened soon (ha! ha!) to the public.

Discovered in 1996 by French egyptologist Alain Zivie, it will be an interesting addition to the recent tomb openings.

Zivie's idea that Maia is, in fact, the princess Meritaten (later Great Royal wife of Smenkhare) is nothing short of bizarre!

Was he on something? :lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015 ... his-sister
To me definitely not, because first of all (as some of you would say ) We don't have any inscriptions saying that Maya was a "King's Sister" and come to think of it neither do we for Ankhesenamun( which to me proves that she's not the older Ankhesenpaaten) However, Maya has this title "Mistress of Women" which makes you wonder just how important is Maya to Tutankhamun who was she and how did she ended up being the prince's Wet-Nurse.

You know I always thought that Wet Nurses were hand picked from the King's Harem especially after they have conceived a child of their own. I've done research on Wet Nurses (while studying on Mutbenret and the Mutnodjmet theory) and I've discovered that most Wet Nurses are women who have already conceived a child. Along the way I thought about and that she must have already had children or a child in order to be a wet nurse which made me think that perhaps Mutbenret was Nefertiti's "Milk-sister" not her actual sister. Plus, you have to consider this; if Tey was Nefertiti's wet nurse then Nefertiti may have already come from a powerful background because from what i've read about Ancient Egyptians only the Royals had them which to me insures that Nefertiti was a royal princess(Princess Nebetah).

We can also rule out Nefertiti as being Tadukhipa as well. Because if she was about the age of 14 when she arrived at Malkata why would she even need a Wet Nurse? Tadukhipa came to Egypt with somebody but not female tudors and she left with them as well. I think Kiya(well that's an understatement) Kiya is Tadukhipa. On her Canopic jars it had the inscriptions "Lady of Naharin" which Naharin is another name for Mitanni so that would make her Tadukhipa.

Nefertiti was already around but to me the name Nefertiti is just short for Neferneferuaten-Nefertiti and it's not her original name as it is always implied. The only princess to not have been granted the status of Great Royal Wife is Nebetah, I doubt Queen Tiye would let one of her daughters miss a chance to be elevated as a Queen. If you want to get personal with it, I would think Nebetah would feel a bit left out from her older sisters. If it was me I would be a bit "jealous" if my mom or even dad chose one of my cousins to become queen of Egypt when my sisters got the chance and didn't it wouldn't be fair, I mean who the hell is she? There is no doubt in my mind that Queen Tiye catapulted her children to marry each other. At least they followed the old way with the sister marrying the brother thing.

In alternative, I think Mutbenret was older than Nefertiti. Yeah so she had a sidelock but we don't know if Nefertiti had one she always wore those wigs. In fact, I think Nefertiti shave all of her hair off. Queen Tiye did not neither did the KV21 mummies yet the Younger Lady has a shaven head and all the features that is screaming out "I'M NEFERTITI!" I still find it strange that people would assume she's not the long neck the CHIN!.

I think the chins on the mummies of KV55 and the younger lady are a dead give away on who those two mummies were. One is Nefertiti and the opposite is Akhenaten. When I first saw the skeleton of KV55 I was like yeap that's papa alright. He had such a strong vibe from him, I got that same vibe when they revealed the mummy of Hatshepsut. It was like I know who it is and the chin told it all. Another thing is how tall his coffin is, Akhenaten was tall and slender.