King of the Hittite Letter

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

King of the Hittite Letter

Post by Frater0082 »

I held this old theory that Meritaten was maybe elevated to Great Royal Wife by her grandfather Amenhotep III thus the King Nibuhuriya in the Hittite affairs was III. Perhaps he did had a long Co-regentcy with his but was sidelined the entire time. Amenhotep III's throne name is Nibmu(w)-reya, which translate to the same meaning. Akhenaten's throne is Naphukepreya and Tutankhamun's throne name is Nebkheperure. None in which is close to Nimmureya or Nibuhuriya. I've learned that if one were to replace the second (M) in Nimmureya it would translate into Nibmureya which translates to Amenhotep III.

Now before you all jump the gun and say that the letters suggests that Ankhesenamun was the queen that wrote the Hittite King keep in mind that these documents were found in Amarna which was long abandoned at the end of Tutankhamun's reign. Meritaten may have been Queen Nefernerfruaten after all.

Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Re: King of the Hittite Letter

Post by Frater0082 »

Come to think of it if there was anyone to blame for the Aten revolution it would've been Amenhotep III not Akhenaten because he was the one to introduce it to his son. I'm starting to wonder if Amenhotep III orchestrated the whole religious upheaval without muttering a word or being present in court.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Frater0082 wrote:Come to think of it if there was anyone to blame for the Aten revolution it would've been Amenhotep III not Akhenaten because he was the one to introduce it to his son. I'm starting to wonder if Amenhotep III orchestrated the whole religious upheaval without muttering a word or being present in court.

You could perhaps start by doing research as to why Amenhotep III's Mortuary Temple on the WB and his other temple at Karnack were surrounded by statues of a certain goddess, alternative one standing, one seated. It might be quite interesting with regards to your research. :wi .

P.S.- Study this goddess very carefully.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Frater0082 wrote:Come to think of it if there was anyone to blame for the Aten revolution it would've been Amenhotep III not Akhenaten because he was the one to introduce it to his son. I'm starting to wonder if Amenhotep III orchestrated the whole religious upheaval without muttering a word or being present in court.
An interesting point of view.

If I "introduce" guns to my son and he went out and shot someone it would be all his fault not mine!

My understanding is that it wasn't the worshipping of the Aten that was the problem, as you say, his father did also.

It was the elevating of this god and the abolishment of all the others that caused the problem.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Akhenaton's problem was that he antagonised the priestly hierarchy that had a huge vested interest in the continued worship of the gods he was trying to eliminate.

A bit like taking on the gun lobby in USA.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

I think the real issue rested solely on the priesthood I think in this time it was a "Balance of Power" issue nothing more or nothing less. Akhenaten(or Amenhotep III) was just trying to stir power from the greedy priests in which he was successful of almost two decades.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Again, I say to you Fratter, go study the Egyptian goddess Sekhmet. And why she was so relevant at this period in Egyptian history.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

I did some reading and so far it sounds like she was there to run off sickness but im still reading
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Keep reading, a quite complex goddess.
Aromagician
New Zealand

Post by Aromagician »

Exactly. One of the reasons people often change Gods is because they lose faith in the current ones to look after them . If there was plague and drought etc then it can be a logical step to look for a new spiritual protector . Also why some rate this period to the exodus . Some evidence suggests that there were actually several journeys of the Israelites out of Egypt over a period if time rather than all at once .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. ROY M GOODMAN