New Tombs opening soon

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

New Tombs opening soon

Post by newcastle »

Per Ministry of Antiquities Press release:

--------------
Antiquities Minister, Dr. Eldamaty is to open three New Kingdom Tombs next Thursday October - I think they mean November -5, 2015 in front of their visitors for the first time since their discovery at Qurnat Marey' Area – Luxor. The Ministry of Antiquities also celebrates the reopening of two other tombs; that of Horemheb and King Thutmosis III at the Valley of the Kings after the termination of their regular maintenance works.
Eldamaty clarified that the three tombs that will be opened for the first time are among the most important tombs of the Nobles at this period and they are: Tomb TT 40 of " Imn hotep – Hwy" Deputy of King Tutankhamun in Kush and Governor of the South Lands, Tomb TT 277 of " Imnement" who carried the title of the godfather of Imn hotep III palace, in addition to Tomb TT 278 of " Amunemheb" who was the keeper of Amun Re Cattle in the New Kingdom.
Eldamaty added that this step comes within the Ministry's general plan to open new archaeological sites for encouraging tourism.
On the other hand, Dr. Mostafa Wsiry General manager of Luxor Archaeological Area said that the two tombs of Ramses III and Ramses IX will be closed in order to terminate the lighting project there.
All these openings coincide with the celebrations of Luxor Governorate of its national day (4-11-2015). A number of activities will take place at this day and will be witnessed by the Minister of Antiquities accompanied by a number of Ministers and public figures. Among the activities are a pharaonic ballet performance organized by the Cairo Opera House at in front of Hatchepsut Temple. The Egyptian Armed forces will also participate with a military music performance touring the whole country in addition to pop dancing and fireworks.
©Ministry of Antiquities, Press Office

https://web.facebook.com/Ministry-of-An ... 893195328/

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Re: New Tombs opening soon

Post by BBLUX »

Bet there won't be a bar at the ballet though George :D

Seriously though this is good news. Two of my favourite tombs in the VOK. Also finally opening of some of the restored Nobles tombs.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It's a few years since I've been in Tuthmose III.

I doubt I could manage the stairs now :(
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

newcastle wrote:Per Ministry of Antiquities Press release:

--------------
Tomb TT 40 of " Imn hotep – Hwy" Deputy of King Tutankhamun in Kush and Governor of the South Lands
Just a minute ... TT40? This was "officially opened" on 20th February this year.

This was the same day that Nefertari's tomb in QV and the upper level at Hatshepsut's temple were also "opened".
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

newcastle wrote:It's a few years since I've been in Tuthmose III.

I doubt I could manage the stairs now :(
I might end up joining him in there but as it's probably my favourite tomb I will certainly be visiting it again. :oops:
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

See http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... -soon.aspx for a previous report of the opening of the tomb of Huy, TT40.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Well.......only 11 months late.

Not at all bad by Egyptian standards :lol: