Egyptian police foil antiquities smugglers at Damietta port

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egyptian police foil antiquities smugglers at Damietta port

Post by DJKeefy »

Egyptian harbour police captured 98 artefacts being smuggled from the Nile Delta city of Damietta on their way to the United States, state-run news agency MENA reported.

The artefacts are from the dynasty of Mohamed Ali, which ruled Egypt from 1805 to 1952, and included 32 metal lanterns, two wooden ornate columns, wooden and metal sconces, a metal consul, a tableau carrying the dynasty's symbol and other fixtures, according to MENA.

The smuggling attempt occurred through an import-export company which hid the artefacts inside two containers.

In April, police foiled another smuggling attempt at the same port, the Damietta harbour, where they seized Jewish antiquities.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Egyptian police foil antiquities smugglers at Damietta p

Post by Brian Yare »

DJKeefy wrote:Egyptian harbour police captured 98 artefacts being smuggled from the Nile Delta city of Damietta on their way to the United States, state-run news agency MENA reported.

The artefacts are from the dynasty of Mohamed Ali, which ruled Egypt from 1805 to 1952, and included 32 metal lanterns, two wooden ornate columns, wooden and metal sconces, a metal consul, a tableau carrying the dynasty's symbol and other fixtures, according to MENA.

The smuggling attempt occurred through an import-export company which hid the artefacts inside two containers.

In April, police foiled another smuggling attempt at the same port, the Damietta harbour, where they seized Jewish antiquities.
I'm not sure how many would call these modern items artefacts, but then again I am surprised that Damietta is an International port.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Egyptian police foil antiquities smugglers at Damietta p

Post by Dusak »

But having said that, if they had been of little or no historical interest or value, they would not have felt the need to hide them while attempting to export the items. You can find items like this and older on open sale in a Nubian shop in Luxor, or so the owner says they are. He does have a good reputation of selling the 'real thing.'
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.