Sun falls perpendicular on Fayoum temple next week

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Sun falls perpendicular on Fayoum temple next week

Post by DJKeefy »

Director General of Fayoum Antiquities Ahmed Abdel Aal said that Fayoum will witness next Saturday the astronomical phenomenon of the sunlight's alignment on the holy area of the temple of Qasr Qarun in the governorate.

The event will occur from 6:45am to 7am, Abdel Aal pointed out.

Abdel Aal said the phenomenon occurs on December 21 each year on the winter solstice, which marks the beginning of the winter season in the northern hemisphere.

“The event proves the genius of ancient Egyptians in astronomy,” Abdel Aal added.

Abdel Aal said there would be a celebration in which many foreign and Egyptian officials and figures would attend, including the Minister of State for Antiquities Mohamed Ibrahim, Tourism Minister Hisham Zaazou and a number of ambassadors from Western countries, in an attempt to promote tourism.

Abdel Aal explained that the temple is one of the largest temples in Fayoum which includes basements and rooms in which many legends are recounted.

The temple contains 365 rooms, equal to the number of days of the year, he said.

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/su ... -next-week

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Sun falls perpendicular on Fayoum temple next week

Post by A-Four »

The same is so for Karnack Temple,........a little closer to 'home'.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

A-Four wrote:The same is so for Karnack Temple,........a little closer to 'home'.
Deir el-Bahri appears to be on a very similar alignment, as does the Mortuary Temple of Amenophis III.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I'd love to go to Karnak on 21st, but it's a little early for me, and I wonder if I could get a boat across at that time. After sunrise, there is to be a 'folkloric event' I learnt at the governor's meeting
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Stan, you know the ferry runs 24hrs, so a nice walk up to Karnack just before day break is great, and will do you and any others the world of good.

A little known fact as well for you, although it rises directly in line to this great place, about ten mins after this rise there, check the line at Hatchepsuit 'mortuary' Temple. If you can not get to Karnack, then climb up that mound to the West of where the balloons take off.

P.S.Take camera.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

I am planning to go, by car from the WB. I hope to leave Sheherazade about 0515, which should allow time for a leisurely stroll through the temple before sunrise. Is the ticket office opening early? Last time I visited Karnak at sunrise I had to wake the clerk up, but that was in the heat of early summer.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Brian, you do not need to actually enter Karnack Temple to see the true effect, it is best seen from the centre of the so called landing strip. The sun will rise directly through the centre of the Temple.

I do not think the Temple opens until after the event, seen it many times before, so will stay in bed, until it starts to give some warmth around 8 a.m.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Well, that will save a few sou if I don't need to enter the temple.

My Rough Guide gives winter hours of 6am to 5pm, so it should be possible to get in before sunrise. It is really a matter of assessing the best place to be with a camera. I suspect the bridge over the quays might be quite good as it gives a few feet of elevation.
Aromagician
New Zealand

Post by Aromagician »

I love the way they built temples and the like to do that type of thing. Acknowledging the effect the sun or moon or seasons has on on our energy or spiritual being.
Wish they would do that type of thing more in modern buildings, would make life so much more interesting.
Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. ROY M GOODMAN