It's a Mystery.....

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

It's a Mystery.....

Post by Who2 »

I love a good mystery, I have been presented with an late 18thC bronze Indian Ganesh Opium pipe. 20grms.
bamboo stem and probably, bronze 'bit/mouthpiece missing.
If my camera was working I would picture it, 'neo desperandum.
The Mystery is, Why and What was it doing in a house in Old Gurna ?
When I have researched this more, I will repost....:cool:
Ps: Ganesha here is represented by a kneeling praying body with Elephants head.
Ganesha is widely revered as the Remover of Obstacles, so a 'walk in the park for me...

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: It's a Mystery.....

Post by Dusak »

On the same side as the Gaddis Hotel but about 1,000 meters lower down there is a typical tourist shop on the corner. But if you go into the rear shop, it is packed full of all things old, not reproductions. Having a root about one day I came across two opium pipes, a genuine battered London police whistle, all kinds of brick-a-brack from bygone times connected to the British. The prices were reasonable as well. Had some really nice lights and old furniture in. And, thinking about it, he had a lot of items in it from India.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Dusak wrote:On the same side as the Gaddis Hotel but about 1,000 meters lower down there is a typical tourist shop on the corner.
On the same side of what? 1,000 meters is one hell of a deep hole, well (sic) below the water table.

I think you may need to provide a better description of the location. My best guess is that it is somewhere between Luxor Temple and Banana Island, or could be inland well (sic) beyond TV street! :sl:
Dendara

Post by Dendara »

Dusak wrote:On the same side as the Gaddis Hotel but about 1,000 meters lower down there is a typical tourist shop on the corner. But if you go into the rear shop, it is packed full of all things old, not reproductions. Having a root about one day I came across two opium pipes, a genuine battered London police whistle, all kinds of brick-a-brack from bygone times connected to the British. The prices were reasonable as well. Had some really nice lights and old furniture in. And, thinking about it, he had a lot of items in it from India.

Is that the 'nubian' shop? If so it's my favourite shop in Luxor. Love rooting about in the back of it while having a cup of mint tea.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Yes Dendara it is. If you intend coming over Mr. Yare, may I suggest that you stick a GPS system on top of an old bicycle helmet to aid you in the hunt. Thank goodness everybody else understood the rough directions and are not buying spades to start their ''diggin's.''
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Oh Dendara, this shop is truly fab, he's from deep down there in Asswan, and spells the place as I do, the old way. You really must get yourself down to the old town and discover the really old back street shops there. Its a thing I have always really enjoyed, and sure you would also.

This man is a truly wonderful gent, needs to really loose weight, but never takes notice of what I say, but one of the last true diamonds of Luxor.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

So is this shop from gaddis toward brittain st ?...how's about putting an arrow on google earth, you can see my jeep on that...:cool:
Ps: what ever happened to the L4U resizer ? 'dead handy that was.
"as I type this I can hear the 'clink of clubhammers on steel chisels all very atmospheric, I'm 'beefing up the back gate...
Sophocles.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Dusak wrote:Yes Dendara it is. If you intend coming over Mr. Yare, may I suggest that you stick a GPS system on top of an old bicycle helmet to aid you in the hunt. Thank goodness everybody else understood the rough directions and are not buying spades to start their ''diggin's.''

Don't be a prat, Dusak. How will a GPS help me if you don't provide an address or coordinates.

If I were not interpreting "lower" as further down in altitude I would interpret it as further down the Nile, i.e. somewhere around the Winter Palace or Luxor Hotel.

I still have no idea where you are talking about. co-ordinates please or a marker on a Google Map.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Don't be a prat Mr. Yare, I gave you a point of reference, the Gaddis Hotel. Anyway I'm out tonight painting arrows on the pavement that will look like little yellow fingers so that should be interesting for you to follow as long as you don't wear anything green...but then again... Yes it is Who2. I don't do Google.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Dusak wrote:Don't be a prat Mr. Yare, I gave you a point of reference, the Gaddis Hotel. Anyway I'm out tonight painting arrows on the pavement that will look like little yellow fingers so that should be interesting for you to follow as long as you don't wear anything green...but then again... Yes it is Who2. I don't do Google.
1km is a long way in a three-dimensional world. I will look out for your yellow fingers on GoogleEarth. But at least I know not to look up - there be pigeons up there!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Who2 wrote:I love a good mystery, I have been presented with an late 18thC bronze Indian Ganesh Opium pipe. 20grms.
Ganesha is widely revered as the Remover of Obstacles, so a 'walk in the park for me...
Wouldn't a likely possible scenario be that it got there because of the British Army.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I shall dwell upon that whilst I watch.........................
Tonights film 'Fierce Creatures a comedy geddit ? about a zoo, hopefully a Lion, I like lions they eat people, 'I bet Jewel likes lions as well. She probably like the Romans...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119115/?ref_=sr_1
'Her next door did me potatoes, roz, duck, chicken-soup, cabbage leaves, salad ect, the norm. I said "stop please Ramadans over but cheers anyway! wimmin ?...:cool:
Dwelling as I do upon that, she has just fed close on to 45 livestock before me, so I'm no big deal....now I have to figure which 'home produce should I present her with, my sun-dried spicy tomatoes, my hot hot harrissa, my marinaded olives, to die for ....
where's me pop-corn ?
Sophocles.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Who2 wrote:I love a good mystery, I have been presented with an late 18thC bronze Indian Ganesh Opium pipe. 20grms.
Wouldn't a likely possible scenario be that it got there because of the British Army.
I was thinking it could have a British history because Ganesh is a Hindu deity, otherwise there could be many explanations, why an old opium pipe is found in Old Gurna. It is fascinating.

There must be as many groups of tourists here at the amazing Oslo Opera House as there used to be in VOK. Hearing so many languages on a bright sunny day takes me back...
:le: