Luxor archaeologists strike to reinstate Luxor director

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Luxor archaeologists strike to reinstate Luxor director

Post by DJKeefy »

Luxor archaeologists strike to reinstate sacked Luxor director.

Today dozens of archaeologists at Luxor Inspectorate went on a strike in protest at the last decision taken by Ministry of State for Antiquities Ahmed Eissa before leaving office. The minister ordered Luxor antiquities director Mansour Breik removed from his post a few hours before leaving the ministry for good amid the toppling of president Mohamed Morsi.

Employees of the Ministry of State for Antiquities (MSA) describe the decision as "arbitrary and unjustified."

A curator at the MSA told Ahram Online on condition of anonymith that the decision reflected an old dispute between Breik and Eissa since the ministry was the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA).

Sarwat Arabi, head of the Luxor Chamber of Tourism, said that the tourism section rejects the decision, saying Breik exerts great efforts to efficiently collaborate with all agencies and authorities in Luxor governorate to protect antiquities and promote tourism.

Poet Hussein Kabahi, organiser of the Luxor Intellectual Union, believes Eissa replaced Briek on political grounds. Eissa is a member of Al-Wasat Party — a moderate Islamist group.

Archaeologists protesting are asking for the return of Breik, especially that the post is now empty after Morsi's ouster.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/75859.aspx

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: Luxor archaeologists strike to reinstate Luxor director

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I met him a few times, and he seemed ideal for the job. I wonder if the true reason for his dismissal will come out though. The only thing I could criticise him for was appearing in one of Derek Acora's dreadful programs!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Re: Luxor archaeologists strike to reinstate Luxor director

Post by BBLUX »

I know him quite well. He is a very good man for that job, well liked by the local and international Egyptologists. Let us hope he gets reinstated soon.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.