Rameses III WAS murdered!

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Rameses III WAS murdered!

Post by LivinginLuxor »

It has been thought for many years that Rameses III was murdered, as he died during (or just before) the trial of various conspirators in the Harem Plot. Now after a CT scan on his mummy, the murder has been proven.

"Conspirators murdered Egyptian king Ramesses III by cutting his throat, concludes a study in the Christmas issue published on bmj.com today.

Ramesses III - the second Pharaoh of the 20th dynasty - is believed to have reigned from 1186 to 1155 BC. The discovery of papyrus trial documents show that in 1155 BC members of his harem made an attempt on his life as part of a palace coup.

The conspiracy was led by Tiye, one of his two known wives, and her son Prince Pentawere, over who would inherit the throne, but it is not clear whether the plot was successful or not."

Full article at http://www.bmj.com/press-releases/2012/ ... royal-coup

I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Re: Rameses III WAS murdered!

Post by BBLUX »

Ha! you read the same article Stan. I posted a new topic on it earlier but it failed to post to the forum
I wonder why it has taken all these years before someone got around to studying the bodies with the latest techniques....lack of Hawass control maybe?

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

The full BMJ article with detailed imagery can be found here:
http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e8268

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

But I am surprised the prince was buried with the king, if it is his body and if he was involved in the death. You'd think they would have thought him too evil and impure, and would sully the king's burial, wouldn't you?
Carpe diem! :le: