Is Nepthys the equivalent of the Goddess Danaan?

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Aromagician
New Zealand

Is Nepthys the equivalent of the Goddess Danaan?

Post by Aromagician »

Many of the mythologies, have a goddess who is Queen of the Underworld, (Earth) and lives there with the Husband no-one likes, such as in Persephone etc.

Is Nepthys the equivalent ? Many myths have this godess as the one in charge of the "elemntals" or earth people i.e fairy people.
Is Nepthys this Goddess, or is there another?

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. ROY M GOODMAN
Aromagician
New Zealand

Re: Is Nepthys the equivalent of the Goddess Danaan?

Post by Aromagician »

Well, if we think of elementals, the closest I can think of Genii in Egypt.
So have started there. First thing I found was this

"The Four Sons of Horus are sometimes described as the funerary deities, or genii (sing, genius). Their names are Imsety (imsti), Hapy (hpy, not to be confused with the Nile river god, Hapi), Duamutef and Kebehsenuef. All references we have to these deities are funerary in context, and it appears that no cults ever honored them.

While the family genealogy of these deities is not well established, they are clearly stated to be the sons of Horus in any number of texts. For example, while Isis was said to be their mother, in Spell 125 of the Book of the Dead, they are seen as having sprung from a lotus flower (Blue Lilly). In various text, Horus of Khem, Harsiese and Horus the Elder are all cited as being their father. The four sons were also associated with four protective goddess, usually being paired as Imsety and Isis, Hapy and Nephthys, Duamutef and Neith, and Kebehsenuef and Selket.

But that doesnt sound like the Genii I have heard of? But they do come from a flower like a fairy though the Blue lotus.http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/sonsofhorus.htm

Or perhaps it is the Jinn?
Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. ROY M GOODMAN