More on the looting at El hibeh

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kevininabydos
Palestine

More on the looting at El hibeh

Post by Kevininabydos »

"Hibeh archaeological site on the east bank of the Nile lies in a particularly impoverished area of Egypt, three hour’s drive south of Cairo. For the past 9 months a gang has been systematically and openly looting the site while the local police seemingly turn a blind eye."

A longer article with lots of photographic evidence [with links to further evidence], all very reminiscent of what happened and is still happening in Abydos.

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php ... ibeh-egypt

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: more on the looting at El hibeh

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Except at Abydos it seems to be the archaeologists who are turning a blind eye.

I would give the Save El Hibeh FB group a pass too. The admin is a self-important control freak who deletes members' posts without any reason or explanation and shows no respect for people who want to help.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Except at Abydos it seems to be the archaeologists who are turning a blind eye.
Sadly very true, their complicity is all too evident. Guardians not put in place, guardians not paid for months at a time. Word of any finds is circulated long before workdays end. A dig house and store filled with uncatalogued finds and one unarmed guardian on duty. I have witnessed small finds going into pockets under the very noses of the archaeologists. The volume of artifacts leaving Abydos and being trafficked through Asyut, Sohag or Nag Hammadi is astounding; I could have opened a museum to rival Luxor with the items I have been offered (ALWAYS POLITELY REFUSED!) over the years. That in just one small village, think what must be being lost over the whole of the country. :xx
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Whatever gave people the idea Carter & Carnarvon, Belzoni, ect, were archeologists, and the former rich archeologists at that.
Looting/archeology it's all a matter of one's perspective, if it puts food in-front of one's family.
I like to call it 'relocation-entrepreneurs, 'when you find it, write it down when and where, take a picture and 'bingo your an archeologist all of a sudden.....:cool:
PS: 'Just Imagine for one moment, if all this pharaonic gear was in 'unemployed blighty there would be a damn sight more than just 4OOO holes in *Blackburn Lancashire.....:cool:
ref: *J Lennon
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.