Archaeology meets politics: Spring comes 2 ancient Egypt

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kevininabydos
Palestine

Archaeology meets politics: Spring comes 2 ancient Egypt

Post by Kevininabydos »

A long and interesting article in Nature weekly international journal of science titled: Archaeology meets politics: Spring comes to ancient Egypt
As the country struggles to refashion its government, archaeologists are looking warily towards the future.

It contains comments and quotes from the 'twat in the hat' amongst others. Here are a few snippets.

"The uncertainty dashed hopes of a swift return to normality for archaeological research, and unrest this week adds new concerns. “Everything is up in the air,” said Kim Duistermaat, director of the Netherlands–Flemish Institute in Cairo, last month. As Egypt struggles to determine its future without Mubarak, archaeologists are wondering what their field might look like without Hawass."

"But critics claim that Hawass had a darker side: that as the years went on, he exerted excessive control and sought mainly to boost his own fame at the expense of other researchers and of high-quality science. Under Hawass, they complain, archaeologists were prevented from announcing their own discoveries. “This focus on him was something that really bothered people,” says Duistermaat. “Even for foreign missions, you had to wait, even for weeks, until Zahi would come down and 'excavate' it.”

“Egyptological research is subject to very heavy censorship,” she argues. In media interviews over the years, Hawass has accused several well known archaeologists of smuggling, scientific fraud or other improprieties".

"Everyone now hopes that Amin, the SCA's latest secretary-general, can get things started again. He holds a PhD in Islamic antiquities, and was previously head of the SCA's Islamic and Coptic department. Researchers say it is too early to comment on his leadership style, but because he does not specialize in Egyptology, it seems unlikely that he will share Hawass's one-man approach — or front documentaries about the pharaohs.

“He'll need people beside him,” says Atef Abu El-Dahab, the affable head of the SCA's Egyptian antiquities sector. “First of all, me.”

"Hawass has previously denied any interest in returning to his old job, but now seems to be repositioning himself. “I'm sorry to say it, but I'm the only one who can bring the tourists back,” he told Nature. So would he offer his services, if asked? “I will never come back unless there is a stable government,” he says. If the upcoming elections can deliver that, the man in the hat might yet rise again."

For the full article, follow the link: http://www.nature.com/news/archaeology- ... ypt-1.9416

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

If he comes back it will be over a lot of dead bodies this time. Everyone saw the video of him leaving the office for the last time in July and that was ugly, and if he tries to go back, it will be even uglier.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Reminiscent of turbulent times when some people say 'it was better under Mubarack's regime, some people still think Zahi is the 'best thing since sliced bread, but for one 'sliced bead is pretty crap and goes off quickly.......8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

If you keep sliced bread in the freezer, it doesn't grow mold.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

After reading this post:
I spoke to an American and asked her views on Zahi as he was a personnel friend.
This was part of her response.
"I would retire to my winery in N. California and just lecture for NGEO and Discovery, write bogus books, sell silly hats and be a media celeb....but his ego is very hurt by all this"
Now I didn't know he owned a winery, he's improved in my estimation, but he probably swapped a statue for it.......8)
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

He allegedly owns a house in Southern California, but he has managed to keep ownership records under quite good wraps....But thanks for the tips on the winery. ;)
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

As he is restricted to remain within Egypt by the courts he might find it difficult to make good use of his US properties.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Zahi Zinfandel ... great name for a Californian wine. And maybe a more widely known Egyptian word than Obelisk!