Seth and Osiris. A Question ?

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Seth and Osiris. A Question ?

Post by Who2 »

Does it mention any-where the location when Seth murdered Osiris ?
Personally I cannot find it mentioned any ideas....?.......'cheers as I'm just pondering something.......... 8)

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

No, but he scattered the body parts all over the place.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Which mysteriously ended up in Abydos.....8)
any ideas on river nedjet?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

The only information to come down to us or should I say so far found, is that the evil deed was done at a banquet given by Set/Seth in his palace. If we are to assume that Set/Seth's palace was in his nome; ie: the 11th, then it is possible to assume his palace was in the capital city of that nome. This was Shas-hetep later Hypsele under the Greeks, which was located near modern Dier Rifa north of Asyut.

Isis was staying just north of Luxor in modern Qift which was then called Chemmis, later Koptos or 'the city of mourning' by the Greeks (nothing to do with modern Coptic!) when Osiris was killed. The body of Osiris (in it's decorated coffin), was thrown into the Nile and came ashore at a place called Byblos which some say is in the Delta whilst others say near modern Syria. It was later that Set/Seth chopped him up and scattered his body parts the length of Egypt (all except his penis which fell in the Nile and was eaten by a fish!) Only the head was supposedly buried in Abydos. Hope that answers your question Dr.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

Your 'river nedjet' is a problem in that this is an 'Anglicization' of the word you want the meaning of, therefore it is difficult to trace back to the hieroglyphic form to give you an answer. Where did you find the word nedjet?
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Chemmis is in the Delta and Byblos is a real city in Lebanon that still exists today (alongside the ancient archaeological site) north of Beirut on the coast.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Chemmis is in the Delta
You are correct, I got my references mixed up. Modern Qift was of course ancient Gebtu
Glyphdoctor wrote:Byblos is a real city in Lebanon that still exists today (alongside the ancient archaeological site) north of Beirut on the coast.
So that would be near modern Syria then......

Marcus Aurelius
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I was just pondering how a body flowed 'up-stream to Abydos.....8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

How indeed! Some copies of the legend say he scattered the 14 body parts around Egypt whilst others say he threw them in the Nile. Basically the legend say: Isis collected the parts and returned them to Abydos where Horus, Anubis and Thoth put them all back together and wrapped him in pure white linen and sat him on a throne. Horus made him immortal by opening his mouth and feeding him the eye he had won from Set/Seth. A staircase or ladder was built up to the heavens by Horus and Osiris ascended to heaven. Spooky echos of another, younger religious belief!

Marcus Aurelius
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

One part was thrown in the Nile and eaten by fish.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Really, Which one was that?
Beryl

Post by Beryl »

And the answer was there all time for those that cared to read. :roll:
Kevininabydos wrote: (all except his penis which fell in the Nile and was eaten by a fish!) .
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Sorry Beryl, but you have an idea my eye is not that good at this time of night,..........I thought it was his zubber.
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

I was fascinated to see that Horus was involved in Osiris' reconstruction - he even appears in front of the mummified Osiris when Isis is impregnating herself on the phallus she magically conjured up in order to produce Horus!

I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

err, Stan there was more than one Horus! That photo looks to be from Abydos, the clearest and easiest ones to see are at Dendera.

Marcus Aurelius
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

... but the inscriptions at Abydos are about 1000 years earlier than the ones at Dendera, are much better carved, and are nearer in time to the original legend...
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

Brian Yare wrote:... but the inscriptions at Abydos are about 1000 years earlier than the ones at Dendera, are much better carved
The standard of carving at Dendera is very high and are on a darker ground making them easier to see unlike Abydos where the stone is white, the carving maybe superior but it is harder to see the details.
Brian Yare wrote:nearer in time to the original legend...
What has that to do with anything? The legends go back to pre-dynastic times. Pre-dynastic about 3100 BCE to Seti's about 1280 BCE - 2800 years; Seti I about 1280 BCE to Ptolemy IIX (earliest named king in present building) 50 BCE - 1200 years. Time does not matter, it is the skill of the artists and the artists who worked at Dendera were the best of their era as were Seti's and they are both of an equal standard of excellence. Standards of art changed greatly over the history of Egypt and some dynasties stand head and shoulders above others in artistic achievement. The 4th, 5th, 6th dynasties had very skilled artists so did the 12th and the 18th, the 19th till early in Ramesess II reign, the 2oth dynasty, 26th dynasty, 30th dynasty and some Ptolemaic were some of the best.

Marcus Aurelius
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

The ones at Dendera are dirty!
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

Yes, strange how all the internal walls got an even coat of grime flour to ceiling. It is almost as if they had been spray painted. Oh, and in case anyone is interested the ancient name of Dendera was Iunet or Tantere, the Greek period name was Tentyris.

Marcus Aurelius
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

The Osiris chamber on the roof of Dendera is really in need of a clean - Kevin is right in that there are many more representations of him there than at Abydos, but I think that the Abydos ones are technically and artistically much better.

As for more than one Horus, yes - I agree, but the glyph beside the standing Horus identifies him as the 'real' one!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan