Bored on The Nile

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Bored on The Nile

Post by crewmeal »

An interesting article by the Daily Mail (for once) regarding a trip down The Nile by The Duke of Devonshire back in the beginning of the 20th century.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/a ... -nile.html

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Bored on The Nile

Post by Horus »

Thanks for posting :up that book looks like an interesting read.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Ditto....will try and find a copy.

"As for Ferdy, he led a peaceful and happy married life as a doctor in Kent. As proof that those taxing months on the paddle steamer did nothing to dampen his fervour for Egyptology, he was to spend his spare time in later life translating the Book of Genesis into hieroglyphics.'

Whatever turns you on , I suppose.

Can't imagine there are many ancient Egyptians around to read it......not that the Book of Genesis would have made much sense to them anyway. :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

When I last checked Amazon had 1 hard backed copy left for sale. ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
When I last checked Amazon had 1 hard backed copy left for sale. ;)
I hope I live long enough to see it appear on Kindle :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

"As for Ferdy, he led a peaceful and happy married life as a doctor in Kent. As proof that those taxing months on the paddle steamer did nothing to dampen his fervour for Egyptology, he was to spend his spare time in later life translating the Book of Genesis into hieroglyphics.'
What a pity the Book of Genesis wasn't originally written in hieroglyphics.

By the time Champollion got around to translating it, in the 19th century, we'd have realised it was total bunkum, consigned it to the dustbin and avoided millennia of religious twaddle.
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

"Thank goodness for his wife, to whom he felt free to enthuse in his letters about the wonders of Akhenaten’s palace"

Somebody got their pharoahs mixed up methinks...
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

FarleyFlavors wrote:"Thank goodness for his wife, to whom he felt free to enthuse in his letters about the wonders of Akhenaten’s palace"

Why do you think that?

The above quote is truncated. "......wonders of Akhenaten’s palace and the excavations of the famous Egyptologist Flinders Petrie."

I assume they stopped at Amarna where Petrie did indeed excavate the remains of Akhenaten's city.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

He does seem to have had an obsession with writing in hieroglyphs, even the little wooden box that he made in order to hold all the letters for posterity had pseudo Egyptian texts on the sides written in hieroglyphs and intended for his daughter Violet, they read:

“Year 13 month 8 day 30 under the Majesty of George, fifth of that name. Says the physician Ferdinand, “Behold, I have painted this box with my own hand for my daughter whom I love, Violet. I did this in order that my memory may remain firm in the heart of my daughter and that my name may be in her mouth.”

And

“Behold, this box belongs to the maiden Violet. Her mother was the mistress of the house Mabel; her father the physician Ferdinand.”

He then says,

“I have spoken with words of magical power over this box. If anyone injures it or damages the writing upon it, my curse shall reach them wherever they may be.”

Easy to see why he translated Exodus
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

newcastle wrote:
FarleyFlavors wrote:"Thank goodness for his wife, to whom he felt free to enthuse in his letters about the wonders of Akhenaten’s palace"

Why do you think that?

The above quote is truncated. "......wonders of Akhenaten’s palace and the excavations of the famous Egyptologist Flinders Petrie."

I assume they stopped at Amarna where Petrie did indeed excavate the remains of Akhenaten's city.
Well, yes, of course he did. But there's plenty of other sites in Egypt that could be described as more "wondrous" than what was left at Amarna. A chunk of pavement and some walls a few inches high?

Because of this I assumed that the "palace" and the "excavations" were at two different sites. Maybe not.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Farley Flavours - I agree that referring to the "wonders of Akhenaten's palace" is rather over-egging the attractions of the site.

Mind you, you'd be hard pushed to find any palace anywhere worth getting excited about. They tended to build them of mud brick which hasn't lasted too well.

Ferdy Platt does seem to be a bit of an odd cove - even for that time - to wax lyrical over, as you say , a few bits of pavement and a few inches of wall. :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:He does seem to have had an obsession with writing in hieroglyphs, even the little wooden box that he made in order to hold all the letters for posterity had pseudo Egyptian texts on the sides written in hieroglyphs and intended for his daughter Violet, they read:

“Year 13 month 8 day 30 under the Majesty of George, fifth of that name. Says the physician Ferdinand, “Behold, I have painted this box with my own hand for my daughter whom I love, Violet. I did this in order that my memory may remain firm in the heart of my daughter and that my name may be in her mouth.”

And

“Behold, this box belongs to the maiden Violet. Her mother was the mistress of the house Mabel; her father the physician Ferdinand.”

He then says,

“I have spoken with words of magical power over this box. If anyone injures it or damages the writing upon it, my curse shall reach them wherever they may be.”

Not someone I'd want to be trapped in a lift with for too long :lol:

Bought the book , have we?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:
Horus wrote:He does seem to have had an obsession with writing in hieroglyphs, even the little wooden box that he made in order to hold all the letters for posterity had pseudo Egyptian texts on the sides written in hieroglyphs and intended for his daughter Violet, they read:

And

He then says,

Want to borrow it? ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
newcastle wrote:

And

He then says,

Want to borrow it? ;)
Not if it's written in hieroglyphs . ;)

Can you scan it and PM it to me? :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Can you scan it and PM it to me?
Will do :up :lol:
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

The Amazon site has 17 copies, various on Ebay have a combined total of 18.
Carpe diem! :le: