OPEN HOUSE.

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

OPEN HOUSE.

Post by A-Four »

This week-end, 22nd -23rd September, Open House takes place throughout the U.K., it is without doubt the world biggest architectural festival, and this is its 27th years. This festival has grown ever bigger, though this will be only my second time I have been in the U.K. at this time of year.

It was some years ago, but I remember being able to visit the then closed St Pancras Statation Hotel, that was being fully restored to its former glory during the age of its owners being Midland Railways. I also remember seeing such a few fine examples of such wonderful architecture, that as a rule are closed to the general public.

The sponsors of OH this year have produced a 160 page paperback catalogue crammed full of architectural wonders that will be open free of charge, to the general public that never see such splendours.

Here in the City of London, such fine examples as Lloyd's Register Building in Fenchurch Street, the modern day fabulous building known as the Bloomberg Building are two, from the too many to count offerings.

In Westminster, even Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and the Houses of Parliament are to open for free, along with a place known as the Banquesting House in Whitehall, the place where Charles 1, was taken from through a removed window onto a raised platform to be executed, opposite Horse Guards Gate.

To the West of central London quite a number of the foreign embassies are also taking part in this event for the first time, let's hope one day the new future Chinese Embassy will open its doors to show off its fabulous £1 BILLION estate, which seems to be just the start of the cost involved.

For those that live away from London, many places you would least expect will be open for free,..........enjoy. :wi .

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: OPEN HOUSE.

Post by HEPZIBAH »

For those that live in London, or with easy access to, and would be interested in visiting some of the places involved in Open House London 2018, here is he link to the website with further information:

https://openhouselondon.open-city.org.uk/
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

HEPZIBAH wrote: here is he link/
What is a he link ?

I think we can all drop a letter now and again, but then again, it is the first time I have commented on such.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A-Four wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote: here is he link/
What is a he link ?

I think we can all drop a letter now and again, but then again, it is the first time I have commented on such.
Now, now A-Four. If you had given more information, such as a link to an official website, I wouldn't have checked my files and posted the link I had stored for this event.

For clarification, my earlier post should have read:
'...here is the link...'

Some of us occasionally drop a letter. Others occasionally name drop. Yet others have a habit of dropping clangers.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Yeh Simona wants to drag me off to visit a few, duh!.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Some of us occasionally drop a letter. Others occasionally name drop. Yet others have a habit of dropping clangers.
Like the repeated nonsense about the cost of the new Chinese Embassy.

"Beijing has not said how much it paid for the property, but the price tag is estimated to be more than £200 million (US$292 million).

Estate agents Savills, who helped with the deal, say once completed in two years’ time, the fortress-style embassy and cultural hub would be worth £750 million."

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/ ... er-history
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Ow! if you can flog some land over in the East east End of Landaan good luck to them. Eastminster ?
Probably talked up the feng shui and forgot about the marshes...
Whatever, are they Eastminster, wanting to join our Common Market ?
Iv'e been to the Chinese embassy in Portland Place once, a Tibetan demo, 'it was closed..... 8)
Ps: Having said that, I cannot quite figure out just what they have bought, but hey! we love the Chinese..
https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/ ... er-history
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote:Ow! if you can flog some land over in the East east End of Landaan good luck to them. Eastminster ?
Thank you my dear Dr, for the wonderful photo of the area I live in.

Look carefully at the narrow strip of land in the top left hand side, along side some cleaned up railway arches,. That small area of land was sold some six years ago. Five years ago, a devellopment plan was set out to build 260 apartments. A simple one bedroom flat no balcney would set you back £875,000. All flats sold off plan in 2016, ALL to foreign buyers.

I and perhaps you, know that the railway directly behind this project that is now be built, runs train for 20 hours of the day, plus another that travels in a shallow tunnel under the building in question. Each of the purchasers of these properties heads been told they have views of Tower Bridge,..........Perhaps the top two floors (of the 13floor building) yes, but not the rest.

The moral of this story is, never buy something without seeing it. Also just as important never believe what you read in the press,.....Or even worse, second hand internet rubbish.

P.S. - The development in question is called Royal Mint Gardens.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:
The moral of this story is, never buy something without seeing it. Also just as important never believe what you read in the press,.....Or even worse, second hand internet rubbish.

Believe Savills and the South China Morning Post.....or the ramblings of an East End wino.

Take your pick..... :snig:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

My dear Dr, I am most grateful for the article that accompanies the photo of the area in question. I am sorry to say that Mss Hilary Clarke's journalistic skill have been elsewhere when she wrote up this information.

She tells us that the main and all surrounding buildings have been empty since 1975, obviously she knows nothing about Barclays Global Investements, which were based at No 1 Royal Mint, better known as Murry House until around 2012. No 4 Royal Mint, better known as the Johnson Smirke Building, housed Barclays Bank Executive Board from 1988 to 2000. At this time a Royal Mint building was occupied by the huge investment concurn known as Old Mutual.

The site was NOT bought from the 'Crown' ( who ever that is) in 2010, the freehold of this total estate was initially owned by two Irish businessmen and the present day previous owners of this estate on a 50 - 50 basis.

Four of the five buildings on this site are modern most being more than eight floors, the area takes up almost half of the photo, it has its own private road to the extreme East of the estate, it has it own bunker, and an underground passage similar to the one at Portcullis House. Anyone who thinks you could get this £200 Million can not be real.

This dear lady goes on to tell us about ABP Property, a mixed devellopment, which actually will be mainly residential, a fair size project in the Royal Albert Docks, another area I know quite well. Each of these flats face directly across from London City Airport.,who's volume of traffic has been given the go ahead to double in the next five years. We are then told these buildings will have a 'riverfront' of 2 kilometres, evidently no one has told this lady that the 'riverfront' is in fact a locked dock. The final insult, or should I say biggest joke is that she actually states that this medium development will rival Canary Wharf,.....is she tripping, or what.

It is my belief that Mss Hilary Clarke has never been anywhere near either of these sites, yet unfortunately people who read the Daily Mirror and The Sun, will also believe the rubbish this person has written.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Within the next couple of days I hope to find time to give a little information to help any one who wishes to visit London next year during the Open House week-end. :wi .
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Is that another one of those Clarke sister who never emigrated to Luxor ?....
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A-Four wrote:Within the next couple of days I hope to find time to give a little information to help any one who wishes to visit London next year during the Open House week-end. :wi .
I look forward to this with interest.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote:Is that another one of those Clarke sister who never emigrated to Luxor ?....
You might say that, my dear Dr, though joking apart I honestly feel either one of those two could have done a better job,........and that really is saying something. :wi .

P.S. - For anyone who is interested the ABP (China) Property Corporation's development at the Roal Albert Docks is based between the University of East London Campus and Newham Council's new head offices.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I now return to the original topic, being the Open House event that took place in the U.K. last week.London of course has many fine examples of hidden treasure we, the geneLral public never really see, perhaps at most looking through a open door as we walk past. Over the two days I split up my schedule into two parts, Saturday - the City of London, Sunday - generally London S.W. 1.

It is most important to have a set plan, and knowing before hand the quickest way from A to B, also note that a number of places are open one day but not the other, also times of opening and closing differ, some places you must pre book, add to this the fact you have to stand in a queue for up to 20 minutes,.........and yes, it did rain on both days in London. You can understand there must be a set plan.

Saturday started out at 9 a.m. I visited, Bells and Belfries at Botolph Aldgate, Billingsgate Roman House and Baths, City of London Police Museum, Custom House, Dr Johnson's House, Great Hall North Wing St Bartholomew's Hospital, Guildhall, Lloyd's Register and the Priory Church of St Bartholomew the Great,........I slept well that night.

Sunday arrived at Westminster at 9-30, disappointed with Houses of Parliament, only Westminster Hall open to the public, which until recently anyone visiting Parliament could visit without problem, though things have now changed there. I crossed over the road and saw some one coming out of H.M. Treasury, I checked my details to see that visits were not by appointment only, I pressed the bell by the side of the huge door, eventually a chap in a black suit opened the door. I told him I was there for Open Door. That was yesterday, I was told and the door was slammed in my face.

I walked down Whitehall, to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. This place is a delight, it's spectacular, the whole place was fully cleaned and restored in the 1980's. If there is only one place to choose on your visit, it has to be here,....To simply walk into The Durbar Court, is to die for, but that is only the start. When you finally leave these buildings you enter into a court yard that I do know, you look through a large metal gate, and there directly in front is 10 Downing Street, though no one noticed this. When I was young you could walk down this street any time of day or night, which you walked down several steps into St James Park.

From the FCO, I crossed Whitehall and into The Banqueting House, a stunning regal building, with a magnificent ceiling painted by Rubens. Further along this famous road Admiralty House, which sometimes is used on special occasions as the Cabinet Office. I should point out at this stage that even 10 Downing St is part of OH,though through application only.

I walked over to Pall Mall, wanted to try to bluff my way into either the Reform Club or The Royal Automobile Club, although both were on the OH listings, they only allowed small group on each hour. I learnt from one person he had waited two hours,.....not me. Went on to the Grand Lodge of Mark Master Masons. Have to say very impressed with this place, no secret nonsense, and even more impressed with their charity work, that goes basically unnoticed.

I then called upon a place I had heard much about when I was young, I suddenly discovered it was also part of OD. The place is called Spencer House, built by the 1st Earl Spencer in 1756, it is recognised as one of the most sumptuous private residence ever built in London,........and yes Diana, Princess of Wales was of the same family. The house is truly spectacular, but I had just come from The FCO, where believe me nothing can match this, in my opinion, not even Buckingham Palace.

For those who are interested in a future Open Door week-end in London plan carefully, some of the many places, are open daily to the public, but in most cases you pay, and often quite a lot.

To obtain the paperback book guide to Open House full of detailed information is available from about late June from the City of London Tourist Information Office opposite Still Paul's, having spoken to them they would be pleased to forward a copy to anyone in the U.K.,.......tel no 020-7332-3456.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Please remember, I do not and have not for over two years a PM system, so therefore it is not possible for me to send individual further information requests.

Moderator note: There are problems with the PM system. Admin are doing their best to restore it, but it is a complex issue.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A-Four wrote:Please remember, I do not and have not for over two years a PM system, so therefore it is not possible for me to send individual further information requests.
Surely there is no need for for private requests for further information when it comes to public events such as these. Information shared on the public forums can only be of benefit to all, and the events too.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

But if he practiced an ''open door'' policy towards releasing information to the forum as a whole, then A-four looses his clique. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:But if he practiced an ''open door'' policy towards releasing information to the forum as a whole, then A-four looses his clique. :lol:
Oh ...I don't know.

I imagine the revelation that Diana, Princess of Wales, was a member of Earl Spencer's family came as a surprise to all .

And King Charles I was executed outside the Whitehall Banqueting House. Who'd have thought it! :lol:

:a71: