Micro adapter

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Micro adapter

Post by carrie »

Bought a memory card for my phone so that I could store more photos on it before I downloaded them, with it came a micro adapter, I can't find any slot to insert the micro adapter into my PC, so is it any good to me?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Micro adapter

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Bought a memory card for my phone so that I could store more photos on it before I downloaded them, with it came a micro adapter, I can't find any slot to insert the micro adapter into my PC, so is it any good to me?
Sounds like you need a USB SD card reader...a bit like a dongle but with a wide slot for micro adapter.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

As Newcastle rightly points out you would need a ‘card reader’ many types are available quite cheaply like the USB type described. Other are a small box like device on a short cable that again fits into a USB port on your PC, both do the same thing, although the small box type will have more slots that will take all the many variants of memory cards that are out there on things like cameras and other devices. The standard today seems to revolve around the SD or SDHC card type which both look the same and will fit the same slot size in the card reader. Devices that use the ‘micro’ size cards such as phones and tablets/Kindles are always read by putting them in the ‘adapter’ which converts them back into being a ‘standard’ SD/SDHC card and as such they will fit the type of readers described above. The micro SD/SDHC card may be used either in or out of the adapter should you own any device that takes the larger card, or remove it from the adapter to use it as a Micro sized card.

I suppose you know that you do not need to remove the card from your phone in order to view or to copy images from your phone to your PC? If not, just plug your phone cable into your PC and look for it to show up under the ‘My Computer’ icon when you click it. Your phone shows up as just another drive and usually has the phones name to identify it. If you double left click onto the phone and find the folder (usually) called DCIM and click it open then you should see all of the phones images. You can do the usually ‘Copy & Paste’ of the images to your PC and the originals will stay on your phone. Best not to use your PC to delete or alter images on your phone as they often don’t like it, best to use the phone itself to delete or alter images stored on it, although once on your PC those images may be freely changed.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

If your phone and computer have Bluetooth you can also use this method to transfer photographs across. Once you've got the hang of it, it's a simple method - I can say this with confidence because I use it quite regularly. :)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley