My Xmas present to me...

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

My Xmas present to me...

Post by Who2 »

This years' Xmas present arrived today, it is a 'pro-forma bamboo cage which will become a lift made in 'rebar to take me three floors to my roof.
It's called, 'being prepared for my ageing limbs. When finished it will be named 'Inquisition' and it will work 'trust me I'm a Dr….. :cool:
cool eh ?
Ps; The mulled wine is 'brill, ho ho ho!

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Re: My Xmas present to me...

Post by BBLUX »

Have you watched "The Wicker Man" recently George?

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Did my good deed for this year, popped out and bought 'her next door a fridge £130 quid, stuck a red bow on it and said "'eid milad sieed" Aida is 23 Xmas Day.
She wanted the cardboard packaging so did I for fire starters, she gave me one back similar, I said "has she got big fridge then ?
it then dawned on me it was my LG packaging from 5 years ago..bless… :cool:
Ps: I think she was 'chuffed as she had her mate around to 'shufti….
Sophocles.
Miss scarlett

Post by Miss scarlett »

It's giving presents that gives the most joy, rather than receiving them. Bless you Who2
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Well it beats mine as I bought a full sack of top grade flour from the US as the local stuff has plummeted in quality. But there was method to this as I get some home baked white bread out of it. :up Ever attempted to pick up one of these sacks? But at least when I got covered in the stuff it felt and looked all Christmasie. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Your bamboo lift took me back to when I was a kid. Lived in a huge old brick farmhouse way in the country. Had a dumb waiter built into it. We could pulley it up from the kitchen to the bedrooms. Don't think my parents ever used it formally but my brother and I used it constantly when we played. One of the more imaginative things we had in that big old house - 4 floors total and rooms that never ended....
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Who2 wrote:This years' Xmas present arrived today, it is a 'pro-forma bamboo cage which will become a lift made in 'rebar to take me three floors to my roof.
It's called, 'being prepared for my ageing limbs. When finished it will be named 'Inquisition' and it will work 'trust me I'm a Dr….. :cool:
cool eh ?
Ps; The mulled wine is 'brill, ho ho ho!
What EXACTLY is it Who2?
And what's the purpose of it?
I can't exactly make it out to scale(comparing it with the plant/tree next to it.)
Is it some kind of hanging decoration?How big is it and if not for decor..then what?
Kinda reminds me of those hellish macrame plant pot holders that were all the rage in the "eighties."Think I got one as a wedding present...but the cat took a fancy to it and shredded both it and my lovely ivy plant!
Please tell!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

And you, are meant to roughly speak the Queens English, so imagine me, trying to explain that it is, a sort of a lift made in metal that is roughly, onion shaped that will whisk you up 60ft in 60 seconds and No it is a lot very large f**'n plant pot holder or a bloody scene from burning coppers on a desolate scottish bleeding Isle, it's a lift an ascenseur, it goes up and it comes down, with me inside, is it that to difficult a concept to grasp ? is the world really flat ? jesus, and I always assumed God sent us scottish people to become the worlds engineers or was that another mel gibson myth ?… :cool:
Sophocles.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

So where's the hydraulics?
You're kiddin me on ain't you?
Who the hell's gonna pull that bloody monstrosity back and forward?
Nice gift...if you like that sorta thing!
Would you not rather have had a bottle of Bell's?
Couple of generous measures and you'll be anywhere you want to be faster than that thing will take you!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Considering the time of Who2's post, I would guess that he's already had a couple of generous measures on the practice run for today, and the next, and the day after that... :up It is, in fact, an Egyptian jelly mould. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I made myself a new computer, with all the latest technology..
Fastest computer I have ever seen, :up plus I did the unthinkable and (after much research etc.. ) introduced liquid cooling into the beasty...

( for the Techies..
AMD A10 5800 CPU, ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4-M Mother board, Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Water Cooling Kit, Corsair Carbide Series 300R Case, 16 Gig DDR3 1600mhz ram dual channel, NVidia GTX660 2 gig Graphics card, dual SSD 480 gig Drives, good quality DVD writer,

My Fibre Optic broadband turned up a couple of months ago, ( and I got it for 18 moths at 50% Off, long story ),
so now I have 60 meg to play with, :cool: Which is just enough bandwidth to accommodate these frikken snowflakes on L4U.. :D

Now I can play all the latest games, which I enjoy doing from time to time.

In true Christmas spirit though, I did give some of the more useful parts of my old PC away to various people, and they have benefitted greatly also..

Waste not want not.... :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

Looks good Dave. However, when operating on Egyptian "wet string" internet all that power would be wasted. The AMD processor would be no good here because they run far too hot. Intel all the way.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Making your own computer sounds pretty awesome! :up :up
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

You get to save a few quid LLL, and customise it the way YOU want it, not how someone else says you need it.. ;)
Very simple really, once you have a grasp on the basics. Plus, if you buy wisely, you can keep a relatively old computer running as well as a new one with a few simple upgrades. I typically change my PC every 5 years, and may spend another 30 % on the original cost, upgrading during that time.
My last PC had a SSD drive that was only a year old, and a great Graphics card which I gave away to my Son, and a friend.

Barry, I was thinking the same thing regarding Luxor temperatures, while monitoring the temps on the CPU during the tweaking process.
With a mild 21 degrees in the house, my CPU can hit 70 degree's after a while on Crysis 3 at full resolution.

We have INTEL based PC's in work, and most of them do not even have a fan attached directly to the CPU heatsink...

My eldest Grandson will have a surprise present in a couple of weeks, as I have been "collecting" parts to make a computer for him, as he has the aptitude for these things, and loves them with a passion.. He will be having the I-5 CPU and board, the last parts I need, which I will have to buy, having exhausted the other options for procurement of said parts... :td
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

All my PC's were custom home builds from the start in 1992. Other stuff before then.
we built a dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 PC back in 2005 for video processing and that beast was loaded with big fans to keep it cool as it was running for hours at a time at 90% on each core. Mind you, it took our processing time down from around a day to 3 hours so it certainly worked.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Don't have a clue how to build one BM but I can see that building your own could have definite positives especially with the ability to tweak and upgrade as you go. :up
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Making your own computer sounds pretty awesome! :up :up
Not as 'awesome as making your own lift in my book, I use apple mac what else ?… :cool:
Sophocles.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

A lift would be awesome too. Hope you're using lots of big wrought iron round pulley wheels. Esthetically it would look way awesome to have a lift rigged up with all the pulleys :up :up