Mosiac Tiles???

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Maakari
United Kingdom

Mosiac Tiles???

Post by Maakari »

Does any one know if there is anywhere in Luxor that I could buy mosiac tiles????
could bring them with me but they weigh very heavy, and the grout is quite dense as well. ASome one has mentioned in the forum that there is an art shop, has it got varied materials???
Although I mentioned on another post, I hate Home made Secret Santa time, I do not mind doing crafts for my own home! Only me to please!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Mosiac Tiles???

Post by carrie »

There is an art shop but not an art and craft shop in the corner near Pub 2000 sell just paints and artistic supplies, I went to the art college on Khaled Ibn El Whaled St and asked there about mosaics they didn't know anywhere I could get them but there is a coffee shop on TV St which has some nice mosaics, I asked how they did it and they told me that they collected broken tiles and used them. I have tried it on a coffee table top and it worked out quite well, stuck the tiles down with adhesive then grouted with gips. Wouldn't like to do anything too clever though mine is just a random pattern.
Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

Thanks Carrie! I thought i might have to do that. I will just bring some unusual tiles to supplement. Mine are just "go on as are" designs, but I just think it gives things a uniqueness! (that's my excuse, and I am sticking to it)
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

About 10 yrs back there was a real craze on here for mosaic pots. Basically you buy whatever size big red clay pot you want, smash plates and then glue them onto the pots and grout them into place. Probably more complex than I'm explaining but some turned out really quite pretty especially if the maker had an artistic sense about what they were making. I never did make any although I was tempted to make the tops of a few small tables.

Personally I love mosaic work except in the bathroom when intricate grout work has to be kept clean.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Doing mosaic work is very relaxing and beneficial to the brain cells. As a builder in the UK I always kept the left over tiles. In the garden I got my eldest son to draw out a panel of four male and female fighters [Roman type] and spent many a long/short hours over three years slowly completing it. Its like a jigsaw, you just do as much or as little as you feel like. I would do it here but the way the walls are constantly cracking and moving to the outside doesn't make the effort worth it.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Had a thought they sell sheets of mosaic type tyles in the bathroom shops, will check them out tomorrow. I think they are on a mesh backing but maybe possible to cut the backing and make individual tiles.