Sewing machine

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Pammie
United Kingdom

Sewing machine

Post by Pammie »

Hi everyone, wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to buy an electric sewing machine in Luxor? Would be happy with new or good second hand one. Does not need to be "all singing and dancing" basic will do. Considering bringing one with me but wondered if it would be more cost effective to buy in Luxor. Thanks in anticipation :D

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

I think sewing machines are expensive in Egypt for what you get. You did used to be able to buy hand operated singers for just over 100 LE and then jazz them up by adding a motor if basic really is all you want. I had my old singer for years and made all sorts with it.
Real electric sewing machines are usually somewhere between 600 and 1000 LE, either Singer or Brother. We have both manufacturers up here in Alex, but you possibly won't find a dedicated shop like that down there.
You can get small little portable sewing machines in the UK for a lot less, so it may be worth looking round and seeing if any shops have them in and bring it with you - it will still eat up a lump of your luggage allowance though.
Pammie
United Kingdom

Post by Pammie »

Thank you Goddess for your reply, saw a mini sewing machine here in UK today for £29.99 but unfortunately there was something vital missing from the box and the shop did not have any more stock, but good suggestion from you, thanks again Pammie :)