Wannabe gardener

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

warda

Wannabe gardener

Post by warda »

Now when I finally have my own garden can somebody recommend what to plant and what I shouldn't even try here in Luxor.
I would like to have fruit trees and herbs, also everything pretty.

What I wouldn't like to have are poisonous plants and anything which smells bad.
Guava smells extremely bad to my nose or maybe I'm just bit odd :oops: :lol:

Has anyone ever seen lemon trees here? What about almond?
Mad Dilys, is your plant nursery already open and workin? :)
I'm very grateful for any gardening tips!

EmmaG

Post by EmmaG »

We have quite a few fruit trees in our garden, including a lemon tree, the only problem is that none of them have ever had any fruit on them! The lemon tree does smell good though. The majority of our fruit trees have come from the kids planting the stones from the fruit they have eaten - they don't take long to grow at all and look very nice. We have about 10 mango trees, sadly never had a mango though!!
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

Mango trees need at least 10 years to fruit. plant more lemon tree to get cross pollination then you will get fruit. Like most plants they like to be pollinated by pollen other than their own. Some plants, like avocados or kiwi fruit are either male or female and you one of each to get fruit.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post.

Post by A-Four »

The lemon blossom that comes in March are to die for, sadly I always regard that smell as the near time to go to the UK, for Summer. England in Summer is so beautiful though. Fig trees are a must. Guerva is a summer fruit, should be lots of them now. If you get one of these trees only let it grow to about 8ft and always prune in September. The number one flower to avoid is the foxglove, the Egyptians regard this as a weed, it attracts mozzi's,big time.

Oh you can tell I am a WB'er, you've got me thinking about my garden there. How I wish it was not so hot there in Summer.
EmmaG

Post by EmmaG »

Thanks for the info Kevin, looks like i've got more planting to do then If I ever want fruit! The trees still look very nice though.

Bougainvillea also looks nice warda, it spreads and doesn't require much watering.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post.

Post by A-Four »

Trust that kevininabydos to get in before me.I blame the parents. not those poor little children.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Re: Post.

Post by Kevininabydos »

A-Four wrote:Trust that kevininabydos to get in before me.I blame the parents. not those poor little children.
:))) you wait till you come back during Ramadan, the family has increased by one more! Rescued another one, 5 weeks old this time, thankfully not 1 day, so I am getting some sleep. :P
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

Don't forget the grape vines, they romp away and fruit prolifically within 2 seasons.

Marcus Aurelius
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post.

Post by A-Four »

Oh for the love of God., they will be calling you the mad moggy man.
warda

Post by warda »

Thanks for help. I already started to write down what I want and I think I need more land :D

I'm going to try and see what I can keep alive and go from there. Bougainvillea is a must have. Also grapevine.
When you write about lemon do you mean lime or really a lemon tree? I have seen loads of lime trees here but never lemons.

Those mango trees grow huge. EmmaG, your garden must be really big:)
Our neighbours have various fruit trees so I'm hoping to get little bit pollination help from there.
When planting trees from seeds you really do not know what kind of fruits the tree is going to bear. That's why I would rather get seedlings cutted from their parent plant.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hibiscus are always beautiful too
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post.

Post by A-Four »

No, not lime,lemon trees grow very well in Upper Egypt,once established. You can get some really good trees at the garden centre on the WB. I understand there is a good one,south of Luxor, before the bridge, for all those who have window boxes in Little Britain
Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

If you have a pool please forget bougainvillae, I wasted so much time in my pool-cleaning days getting the foliage of this (HATED BY ME) plant , out of the water. I still have the scars from my gardener days, from pruning the lethal bougainvillae - -
Scott

Post by Scott »

What does anyone think about a 'Garden Club', with MD as the 'resident Wiz'?????

Seems like a growing need ......
We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.
meretseger

Post by meretseger »

I think a garden club would be a great idea.I do swap seeds and plants with friends and neighbours,but sharing information as well would be very helpful.Gardening is so different here than in England.The fruit trees planted here that are doing well are Fig,lemon,orange,pomegranite,nabk.The peaches and apricots didn't do well.The grapes...amazing.hollyhocks are really good and self seed.
meretseger
Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

A Garden Club would be an excellent idea (shame I'm up here!) It's all been trial and error for us up here working out what will grow in balcony pots. The main thing I've learned; hibiscus is almost indestructible! Loves a good hacking down, and does best when you don't keep poking it and so many varieties. I've got a peach double flower in bloom right now.
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

I was asking the gardener in Mottesfont about suitable plants and he said he thought Irises, pinks & Alliums would do well, as well as roses obviously. He said a 5th but it escapes me at the moment :oops:
warda

Post by warda »

Good idea Scott and agree MD being the resident wiz.
Goddess, your hibiscus sounds perfect. That's just what I need, plants I can hack down :lol:

It's so good there is a google pic search because otherwise I wouldn't have any idea what most of the plants are you are talking about. Now I know what hollyhocks is. Just checked it.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

All the varieties of canna lily do well here as do African marigolds and the standard marigold (calundula), flag iris, some varieties of lilac not forgetting Agapanthus the Nile lily both the blue and the white. Streptacarpus are good too (Bird of Paradise) and remember just about any exotic house plant in the UK or US will grow happily outside here. There are more varieties of plant available in Lower Egypt than Upper and it would be worth a shopping trip for those harder to find "just what I was looking for" plants. Happy gardening. :D

Marcus Aurelius
Scott

Post by Scott »

Some GREAT ideas for varieties! I have managed to get a beautiful assortment in my garden (85 sq. meters), thanks to MD - a great source!

Now we need to focus on what is available at 'local sources' -Are you hearing me, MD???? LOL!!!

Best to all,
Scott
We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.