Banks.

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Banks.

Post by Who2 »

I have a long history of banks and visa-versa.
From having a Coutts account to robbing a few, having met the head of HSBC and given them all a lots of money,
It cuts both ways....

Today I went to see Ziggy (the godson) at his place of work. A f....Wetherspoons ? 'your avin a girrafe incha?
Nick as usual got lost and forgot it was Ziggy's birthday.
This Wetherspoons turns out tobe their flagship pub, we have one in Farringdon always freezing with sh*t beer.
Before that it was a hooky burger place owned by our local Clerkenwell Crime Syndicate the "A" Team.

Anyhow back in the City of London, Gracechurch St the 'bankers manor'
it's an old HSBC bank think! Hong Kong & Shanghai Corporation started by a canny Scotsman.
https://exploring-london.com/2018/07/02 ... osse-keys/

They had every beer possible available, the place is architecturally stunning as most good banks are.
Someone once asked `Bruce 'why he robbed banks ? "Well that's where the money is" qed..
Any-how a pint of brilliant Scottish Strathaven draught beer tastefully name 'Old Mortality
£2.30 inc staff discount.
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pub-histo ... -of-london

If you like old amazing buildings I suggest a visit, upstairs is a balcony that over-looks
the hustle & bustle of City workers eating and drinking on the cheap...... 8)

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: Banks.

Post by hatusu »

I think its the same building I worked in for a short time when I was employed by what was then called Midland Bank Overseas Branch before they were taken over by HSBC. I was actually employed by the Sheffield branch but did my 2 weeks training in this building.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I find it funny these days how we regard banks, many do not realise how so few independent such places exist. The likes of Coutts, where these days you must hold £1,000,000 on credit (liquid) to hold one of its current accounts, though their expertise in capital finance is no better than the average High Street bank these days, even though it boast it is one of the very earliest Banks, which is far from true.

Across the road at No 1 Fleet Street, you come across what once was a true institution in the Banking world, it is in fact the oldest bank, established in 1580 called Child & Co, it was the first to introduce the pre-printed cheque book. Just as you enter this bank in glass cabinets opposite the main doors you can see the guns specifically purchased by the bank governors to protect the place from the threat posed by the Gordon riots of 1780.

The old Midland Bank Head Office and Branch up in the City at Poultry is long gone, but after many years this building both inside and out has been beautifully restored. It is now a hotel called The Ned, residents are encouraged to view the very impressive large basement safe, with its circular door as seen in a number of films of recent years. Although a simple standard room here is over £250 per night, it's worth the price simply to view the whole place including full size swimming pool. I should point out though that service far from good, and need to improve quickly.

Anyhow, back to the banking world, my first ever bank account was with William and Glynn's Bank, one of the first to offer five cards, that for each one fed into a ATM gave you £20, though when l was in Scotland it paid out only £10. At the end of each month the cards were returned with my bank statement. Many people in my own town used the Yorkshire Bank, previouslly known as the the Yorkshire Penny Bank.

Like so many of the old honest banks that have now gone, we should be careful who we bank with, especially when depositing more the the guaranteed return amount. The likes of Coutts and Child & Co are part of NatWest. The Royal Bank of Scotland which in the last year has made a good profit for a change, will disappear from the High Street soon and will use the parent name NatWest. Halifax is part of HBOS, T.S.B. is now part of Santandar, even Virgin Money (bank) is in deep negotiations to take over Yorshire Bank which should happen later this year.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

The thing I remember about Coutts & Co was, when cards were introduced to verify cheques
if one was asked for 'one's card all one had to do was stare at the said assistant and point at the
'strap-line Coutts & Co never needed verification.
I mean it was after all, Missis Queen's Bank.... 8)
Ps: Plus they gave one, a rather nice set of burgundy wallets, cheque book holder and CC holders.
And seem to still be available on ebay..lol
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coutts-Leath ... SwPn1d2I1X
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.