Metropolitan Cafe

Places in Egypt that you don't recommend members or guests to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:28 am

Who would want to go here? The view is blocked by cruise ships, which poison you as you sit there with their exhaust fumes, the waiters are rude and inattentive and it is the most expensive place in Luxor and don't start me on the gigolos! :(

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

EmmaG

Post by EmmaG » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:57 am

There was no fee to watch the actual match there was just a huge increase on drinks prices, which no one told us about until the bill came. As I said, there was one price on the fridges and then a different price on the bill. Plus they added 1LE to the bill for some reason ( I know that wont break the bank but don't know what it was for, the waiter said it was for paper work??!)

We went there as our friends were staying on a cruise which was moored at the Cornishe that day. I realise what the place is like and it's not a place that we would usually go to, just shocked that they would rip people off so much just because of a football match!! As everyone in the party is married with children I don't think we were there for the gigolos!

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:52 pm

Today, I went to Luxor to renew my visa with a certain time-traveller. While we waited for our passports back, we decided to have a beer at the Steigenberger. So, we were prepared to pay hotel prices, and did enjoy the ambience.

Before returning to the West Bank, we called into the Metropolitan, as the good doctor goes there from time to time. The place has not lost its rip-off reputation - a 330ml bottle of Heineken is 20LE, there is no ambience other than the loud noise from the cruise ships, which drowned out the music being played.

First time I've been back there in about 5 years, and it may be another 5 before I return!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Hopefully it will disappear when the Corniche is done! :mrgreen:
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:23 am

First visit - Beer prices reasonable (Stella local LE15) but when we visited we were told "no Stella, only Saqqara" which was an extra LE3. We wanted Stella so we got up to leave. However, he went and asked and they agreed we could have the alternative at the same price as the Stella.

2nd visit - a cup of tea in the afternoon for us. Price on the menu LE5. Bill came and we were charged LE7 plus tax. When asked why it was a different price we were told it's because we had milk! We weren't happy with this and told him so and also that we wouldn't come back again. The answer? Next time you can have it for LE5.

Recommended? Told him quite straight - there won't be a NEXT time!!!

Shell,
Cyprus
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:24 am

Kevininabydos wrote:Hopefully it will disappear when the Corniche is done! :mrgreen:
We were talking to a young lad in the Gaddis shop on our last morning and by the sounds of it, it may very well do so......

Shell,
Cyprus