Metropolitan Cafe

Places in Egypt that you don't recommend members or guests to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Trixx

Post by Trixx » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:22 am

We brought the new year in at the the Metropolitan last!

It was a fantastic night,entertainment ,none stop !
They put canvas (i think) curtains all around ,and heaters to keep us all warm ..!
The food was excellent ,!!!!!!!!!
As much as you could eat all night ,the waiter service for drink was also brilliant !
To be perfectly honest ,i dont like the owner ,but he excelled himself that night ,with a strong police presence also ,i would defo go again going of the last one
:):)
NO HASSLE ALL NIGHT :):)
And a great party atmosphere ,brilliant !!!!!!!:):):)

Oh yeah ,and as much as i would hate to admit it ,(as i dont like him much ) the price for ticket only was more than reasonable :) :)

Trixxy

drwho

Post by drwho » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:17 pm

Just to return the Met back to posting poll.
During Ramadan whilst quaffing a 'mango juice' last month there, I learnt that the last little 'battle of the Metropolitan' resulted in an amazing stand off.. between the 'fellucca boys' read: (Soprano city) and the well ott Luxor riot squad? that, the boys threatened to ignite the Nile with diesel should they, Old Bill, try to attempt to 'nick' them.
Shades of WW2 & igniting the Channel against The Hun' so the 'little-man' won again....perhaps?.8)

Maggy

Post by Maggy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:05 pm

Called to the met thursday evening, had tea and asked for cakes. I had to go to the cake cabinet to choose which I would like, all they had in the cabinet was bas-busa. Finished up going to snack-time ,plenty of choice there.:P
Maggy the Moggy

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:15 pm

It is still regarded as the No 1 pick-up place in Luxor! It's a very unpleasant cafe, due to the close proximity of cruise ships puffing out diesel fumes, the gigolos, and the relatively high prices.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:20 pm

Maggy wrote:Called to the met thursday evening, had tea and asked for cakes. I had to go to the cake cabinet to choose which I would like, all they had in the cabinet was bas-busa. Finished up going to snack-time ,plenty of choice there.:P
Same experience as us a few days ago. We also tried El Kababgy with the same result.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Mrs. Doubtfire
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Mrs. Doubtfire » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:47 pm

Obviously, there is a great need for Mrs. D's sponge cakes, fancies, and pastries. Maybe I will find the time to train one or two other individuals how to make cakes and pastry.

Stan is being a little unfair on his portrayal of the "Nile" cafes. After all, one doesnt expect to pay the same prices as sitting in a garden well away from the 'center' of social tourist interaction, such as the gardens he mentions. Incidentally, one could hardly call them 'peaceful'. There is hardly a week that goes by before there is some police involvement, or a 'glassing'. Indeed, only last week I heard of another such incident.

Definitely a place to avoid unless one is desperate to pay only 8 el for a Stella and spend the time with other penniless riff-raff, or be accosted by gigolos chased off the Corniche. But why not go to the off-licence and get them for 6, and go and drink it somewhere quite, like the reed beds.

I believe that one should expect to pay according to the ambiance of the place and the surroundings, and the cafes on the East side on the Nile have to pay exhorbitant rents, and the only way they can operate is by charging more for their products.

But looking on the bright side, one could put up with the diesel fumes from the boats, but think of all the naive tourists one could meet up with eager to go out on trips which one could make a handsome commission out of. :mrgreen:

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by jewel » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:48 pm

Mrs D what's a "glassing"? :?
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:24 pm

Misinformed again, Charlie - Sindbad's (during the day at least) is a peaceful quiet place, where I have never seen any police involvement in trouble. Totally different to the Metropolitan where there was a pitched battle a few months ago. The ambience there is next to none, as the noise and fumes from the cruise ships are always prevalent.

I take it you include the Luxes amongst the riff-raff you mention - you don't need to apologise to me for such comments, but I think an apology to them is more than due!
Stan

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:32 pm

I think MrsD has her tongue so firmly in her cheek she is in great danger of biting it :lol: Then she will be carted off to the International Hospital to join the glassing victims who were not in Sindbads I'm sure. :mrgreen:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by JOJO » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:37 pm

:snig:

Trixx

Post by Trixx » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:40 am

NOW NOW NO CARPING PLEASE STAN ! :oops::oops:
Trixxy

Mrs. Doubtfire
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Mrs. Doubtfire » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:18 am

I knew a reference to riff-raff would get the cork out of his breakfast! haha. Of course, 'riff-raff' in my opinion are individuals who get together for the express purpose of causing trouble, and one has to say that Stan would not be included in such escapades. Needless to say, however, one does not apologise in any way to riff-raff, perish the thought!

If people want to have a rowdy night out swilling down copious amounts of alcohol and getting involved in loud-mouthing and potentially violent behaviour, then there are places within the town where one goes, and those into this type of personal enjoyment know just where to go. Of course, most of these behviours go on at night when Stan is usually tucked up in bed, and Mrs. D. is walking about in her red stilettoes! :mrgreen:

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:27 pm

I must admit that we found it very useful when we were moored up for part of our cruise. It was cheaper than the boat, you weren't tied to another boat, and the Sakara was ice cold.

Can't remember the price, although I know it wasn't cheap, and didn't see any gigalos (although we only went during the day). The staff were very attentive and helpful.

:)
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave ............

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:44 pm

Maggy wrote:....Finished up going to snack-time ,plenty of choice there.:P
[face=Comic Sans MS]And a nice class of clientel. ;) :) :roll: [/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:11 pm

I quite often sit at Metropolitan, I find it nice. Now a Stella can is 10 LE and a bottle (500 ml) is 15 LE (used to be 8/16 LE)

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:30 pm

[face=Comic Sans MS]I was pleased to see the extra 'patio seating' area at the Metropolitan on my last vist and found it a useful venue as always to meet friends for a drink and a chat. The staff were friendly as always but not over bearing. I also noticed that the new seating area seemed to have sorted out some of the rat problem which was a bit off putting before.[/face]
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:19 pm

I think Metropolitan has losed its charm...it's nice to sit there occasionally and just drink beer as food (snacks) are not that good and they're expensive too.

But to the point; visited in Kababgy now and oh my those new prices :!: :? They had put stickers over old prices. Lasagne and spaghetti was 52 LE, fillet steak 78 LE (some steaks were 72 LE) and so on. I couldn't believe my eyes and was just staring at the menu and started laughing. This 78 LE steak seemed to be fifty something pound before, so there was at least 20 pound rise in the price :roll: I think shish kebab was also over 70 pounds.

Their food is not really that good!

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by BBLUX » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:32 pm

:oo :oo :oo those prices are crazy! I think the most expensive dish at Gerda's is about LE55 and that is excellent and a huge portion :)

If we go out to eat a 2 course dinner here on the West Bank we would pay not much more than LE78 for two of us without drinks and personally I much prefer the ambience of a garden restaurant on the West Bank to a diesel fueled noisy Corniche location :)

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:39 pm

78 LE for a steak!!!
:oo

There's only a few places up here that charge that much!! And then you have to go to Chillis, Fudds or TGI Fridays to spend that much on a single meal!!! And then it's REALLY good steak!!

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:51 pm

TGI Fridays would be a great addition to the cuisine in Luxor!

But if you really enjoy drinking overpriced (for an outside bar) in an atmosphere full of diesel fumes, constant low frequency vibrations from the cruise ships and the constant presence just outside the bar of local male hookers, the Metropolitan is the place for you!
Stan