Clefty Coffee Shop.

Places in Egypt that you don't recommend members or guests to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Clefty Coffee Shop.

Post by carrie » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Yes it was a typo I usually get one pounds worth, only want a couple of pieces so give the rest to someone else in the queue.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:05 pm

I like the cheapo bread, but never buy it as I haven't the patience of a saint, nor the ''push'' of a prop forward to keep my place in the queue, so nick a couple from my friend when she has them. Watching channel four last night, the adverts came on for Tesco, and saw that their large squeezey tomato sauce was 2Le dearer than the one I had just bought that same night in 40's :up

I always end up paying way over the top for my gas, don't care as even at the price I pay, represents good value of money. My friend informs me that they are going to introduce recharge card meters for water and electricity, so that should even things out as long as they don't start changing the value of a unit every time you recharge the card.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Now we've got initials for a currency that does not actually exist, or at least relate to the post and context! Is there any wonder folks get confused and can't keep up!

The currency of the UK has a number of common references - Sterling, Pound Sterling, Great British Pound (GBP) - all recognised by the sign of £. I have never in my life come across BP to represent it!

:roll:

Edit: :o Still reeling from the earlier post where it was stated that the police got involved. That I find incredible extreme.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:33 am

The friend I was meeting was a police officer. Regarding my monthly food bills, well they cost that much because I do buy a lot of imported food, mainly for the quality! I am not decrying Egyptian food at all especially the farm produced food it is something special, but the taste and quality of imported food is just superior in taste, provided you look at the best by sell date before you buy, because there is plenty of stuff on the shelves that should not be on sale. Mind you you can say that about vegetables as well, that's why we buy on the markets to save having to purchase soft cucumbers and carrots or wrinkly potatoes, tomatoes that when you get them home are mush, and get taken to the village for the chickens.
We have found that vegetables from the supermarkets just do not last!
I love coconut and now Ramadan is close it has hit the supermarkets, but I am weary to buy because it may have been in the supermarkets from last Ramadan, somewhere stuck in the corner of a cellar waiting to resurface this Ramadan.

the average purchase each week is

1/2 kilo of Lurpak Butter
2 packets of McVities Ginger nuts
10 x 1 litre of "0%" Milk
2 boxes of Kelloggs Cereals
1 Kilo of Steak
6 Chicken Fillets
3 kilo potatoes
3 kilo tomatoes
2 iceberg lettuce - when available
8 cucumbers
1/2 kilo of onions
1/2 kilo of Ochra
large Cabbage
1 kilo of plain flour
1 kilo of SR flour
18 eggs
1 kilo bananas
1/2 kilo of plums
1/2 kilo of necterines
2 kilo of oranges
6 pack of coca cola bottles 1.1/2 litre size
2 kilo of mince
4 kilo of chicken livers - for the dog
2 x Rexona antiperspirant
14 Danona yogurts
7 packets of Tang orange drink
1 large jar of Nescafe Gold
1/2 kilo of sugar
50 tea bags
1 pack of tissues
4 pack of toilet rolls
200 x LM cigarettes or Marlboro "Clicks"
Cadbury's drinking chocolate
6 Red Sea fish fillets
tray of red sea prawns
4 white sliced breadloaves
2 brown sliced breadloaves
1 jar of fruit preserve
1 jar of honey
2 bags of pasta

For a treat 4 bars of Nestles or Cadbury's chocolate

The taxi to take us around from West Bank to Luxor and then follow us around the shops 100le normally a 3 hour event.

I would expect that for most couples this would be an average shopping for a week. Its the transport and ciggies that push the bill up in all fairness. But the other week he brought back 3 sun parasols on his roof and 2 fans on stands. He has also brought back over the time 20 light fittings, bedding, and kitchen ware. if we deviate from general shopping he get remunerated in the proper way. We often take him out for lunch too,while we are out, I don't know why but he loves McDonalds.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:50 am

Not surprised that you need that amount of toilet rolls and antiperspirant per week, I would be s****** through a needle every week with that mixture in this heat. What about air freshener? :D
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:16 am

@CE - that list is per week? Per week as in SEVEN days?

If yes I'm inclined to agree with Dusak!

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:30 am

We love our food, and so we like to buy the best of what we can, obviously we do not eat the different things at the same time. My bowels are fine, but thanks for those concerned :lol: A bit of roughage does not do any harm. But I gather what you a re saying is that I am full of S---, well my answer to that is, if I am I am getting the nice food to fill me full of it :lol: :lol: What has the weather got to do with what you eat?? there are plenty of veg and fruit on the list....
Oh by the way the tea and sugar is for the workers, we use Hermasitas in our coffee, and do not drink tea have you seen the inside of a teapot??

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:45 am

Chocolate Eclair wrote:the average purchase each week is

1/2 kilo of Lurpak Butter
2 packets of McVities Ginger nuts
10 x 1 litre of "0%" Milk
2 boxes of Kelloggs Cereals
1 Kilo of Steak
6 Chicken Fillets
3 kilo potatoes
3 kilo tomatoes
2 iceberg lettuce - when available
8 cucumbers
1/2 kilo of onions
1/2 kilo of Ochra
large Cabbage
1 kilo of plain flour
1 kilo of SR flour
18 eggs
1 kilo bananas
1/2 kilo of plums
1/2 kilo of necterines
2 kilo of oranges
6 pack of coca cola bottles 1.1/2 litre size
2 kilo of mince
4 kilo of chicken livers - for the dog
2 x Rexona antiperspirant
14 Danona yogurts
7 packets of Tang orange drink
1 large jar of Nescafe Gold
1/2 kilo of sugar
50 tea bags
1 pack of tissues
4 pack of toilet rolls
200 x LM cigarettes or Marlboro "Clicks"
Cadbury's drinking chocolate
6 Red Sea fish fillets
tray of red sea prawns
4 white sliced breadloaves
2 brown sliced breadloaves
1 jar of fruit preserve
1 jar of honey
2 bags of pasta

For a treat 4 bars of Nestles or Cadbury's chocolate
I would expect that for most couples this would be an average shopping for a week. .
Blimey! :o For just two people?

So you each get per week
Half kilo steak
kilo mince
Three chicken fillets
9 eggs
Half a tray of prawns

Is it just me, or is that a huge amount of protein? While in the UK living alone I have the same number of eggs. I have maybe the equivalent of a couple of chicken fillets but three or four portions of fish a week.
I do eat pulses - beans or chickpeas occasionally as baked beans or humous.

You have 3 loaves each, I have less than one and your quarter kilo butter would last me a month.

I have the same amount of cereal 3 litres of soya milk against your 5 litres of cows milk and the same amount of yoghurt but soya ( I'm not good with anything from a cow)

You don't mention cooking oil or fat. I use about 100grams a week of pure coconut oil as I love the taste, but I rarely fry anything anyway except onions when including in other dishes.

A kilo of flour will last me months, not a week. :D

I don't drink cola or the like, but do love a special brand of tea I get in the UK drink decaff and normal instant coffee, about the equivalent of a quarter of a jar a week. No chocolate in any form..

I don't have a sweet tooth so I don't buy biscuits or jam.

I do eat lots of veggies as I make curries and soups a lot. I enjoy my food and thank God I'm never hungry.

I might add that never the less I'm about 3 stone overweight! :oops:
Smile! It confuses people

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:56 am

That is an obscene amount of food for a week for two people! that would keep us going for about a month :?

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:07 am

Chocolate Eclair wrote:Yesterday I went to Karnak Temple to see a friend of mine, they were late, so I decided to use the coffee shop at the back of the Karnak Police Station and in a corner at the entrance for vehicles, where most of the temple workers go for refreshment, I had 2 Shisha,s I asked for Tawfar and got nothing resembling Tawfar, I also had 1 Cola. When my friend rang me to tell me they were just entering the Temple I asked for the bill. The Waiter came across and asked for 35le I replied Zabella, Shisha 3.5le or 4le and Cola 8le No No No was the reply, I got up and asked two coach drivers who were just leaving, How much did you pay for your refreshments the reply was 2le for the shisha's and 5le for the cola. I left leaving 12le and said that if he disagreed to fetch the Police. Nothing happened, but I did report the matter to the Police in Karnak Temple.

I was told by a Temple Guardian to use this coffee shop because it charges Egyptian prices, Yeah!!!! Egyptian prices plus the Guardians commission. I could not resist going back and telling the waiter he was a clefty and should be in the kalabush, the policeman in there heard me and asked what the problem was, I explained, and he had a word with the waiter, the policeman then told me that my bill had been paid in full and the waiter apologised for the breakdown in language barrier. Yeah!!! but if I had given him what he wanted he would have taken it willingly and not commented he had made a mistake. t turned out shisha was 3le and cola 4le so I was still 2le overcharged, B-----d
Chocolate Eclair wrote:The friend I was meeting was a police officer.
Errmmm....which version of us would you like us to believe? Maybe we should just listen out for the word on the street - no doubt there will be plenty about it - and then we may get the true one as after all ...
Chocolate Eclair wrote:... the local people seem to be more right, and for some reason or other also seem to be more in the know.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:26 am

I did a rough calculation and you are consuming at least 1/2 kilo each of meat/seafood/chicken per day per person/dog. That's without the dairy products and the eggs.

I prepare most of our Ramadan meals in advance and freeze them, so I can look at my complete menu right now and tell you right now how much meat products we will consume over 30 DAYS-it consists of 1 kilo of beef, the meat of 1 whole chicken (with the bones and skin removed), 1 kilo liver/gizzards, 2 cans of sardines, 200g ground beef, 1 large basa filet, a couple handfuls of shrimp, 1.5 kilos of fresh bolti. There's 5 meals that also include dairy products and about 5-6 eggs total. Most everything else we will consume will be beans, vegetables and fruit along with some starches such as rice, pasta and bread. Some of the other dishes such as soups will have been made with broth from meat or chicken earlier on but that is just flavoring. Often, we don't even finish all our Ramadan meals during the month and so we have enough left over for some time after as well and usually there is enough leftover from iftar that with the addition of some fruit we can make suhur out of it as well. And in a normal month we probably don't eat anywhere near that amount of animal products.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:23 am

To be fair to CE and wife and dog/s workers and anybody else he feels the need to feed, its up to them how much they consume per week and the cost of that consumption. When in the UK I was easily consuming a kl of bacon, sausage, 2kl of steak, lamb and chicken per week. But I burnt all this off through work. Here, that shopping list would last me 4/6 weeks, but no coffee as I drink tea. I do eat a lot of cheese in any form per week and have done all my life.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:44 am

We love to eat well, and enjoy our food, often enough I like my steak at least 2 times a week, Shepherd's Pie, Seafood Meals, Chicken Curry, Roast Chicken, cold chicken in rolls or baps, prawns pil pil, fruit salads. targines, pasta's don't forget those that know me know I am a big bloke 16.5 stones and 6' 1" so obviously food is to me like nectar from the gods. 5 years ago in the UK our weekly food bill was between 100 and 150 GBP so at least we have cut down a lot. We feed the workers in with this. Our dog eats well too, normally at least 4 kilo of Chicken Livers, and often a further kilo of mince,(All cooked and prepared before hand) along with preserve on toast for lunch, and the odd snack of chicken. He is fit very muscled and his coat is very clean and shining. You cannot see 1 rib on him he is musclebound and weighs almost 9 kilo, which is good for a Pharaoh dog, our next door nieghbour also has dogs that eat roughly the same. If you cannot treat your dog to some good food, don't have one. If Jack jumps up to you he bowls you over he is really strong and fearless.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:14 pm

My best racing whippet in the UK used to race ( and win) at 10.9 kilos - my Saluki (origin Saudi Arabia similar to a pharaoh hound) weighed 21.8Kg and my daughter's Dobermann weighs at least 35kg.

I think you ought to weigh Jack again, I think he might have grown since you last weighed him ;) and it's important to know in case, God forbid, he ever needs medication.
Smile! It confuses people

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Sorry that was a typing error, I missed the one out when starting MD. Had to go back over the post to see what you meant :wi

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:57 pm

I would agree with CE on this one. I was in a coffee shop some months ago with a friend and the waiter asked for 30le for 2 teas. Having discussed same with the owner (who I know for a number of years) the owner had actually sent the waiter to our table looking for 10 le and the waiter immediately decided to be dishonest and tried to pocket 20le for himself.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:57 am

Typical of quite a few places now Lotusflower, and this will get worse has the tourist numbers stay low.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:40 am

The most expensive cup of tea I have ever drank here was ten about eight years ago at the tea/ tourist shop inside Karnak Temple, 25Le. I paid it to save face, but vowed never to sup there again. The waiter stated that the rent the owner had to pay monthly was 200,000Le PER MONTH. Always intended to check this out but forgot with the passage of time.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:14 am

I do not think they realise that by overcharging people in the know, they realise they are never going to get their custom again.

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by WIZARD » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Well now, it looks as if almost everyone has expressed their opinion on this subject, so can we now move on from this little storm in a teacup. :roll:
WIZARD