All Caleches

Places in Egypt that you don't recommend members or guests to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: All Caleches

Post by Goddess » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:47 pm

So sorry Hatusu.
It's not nice getting abuse from drivers. I've spent the summer getting it in Taxis. So sympathise with you. When you know what the price is and are threatened and abused and pay up for an uncompleted journey it can be bloody upsetting. I know.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Maybe it's mindset of ex-pats that have to be addressed!
Have never received any abuse from caleche drivers! Licensed or not...I wouldn't know!
Maybe I'm mug and am responsible for "upsetting"financial climate and expectations in Luxor!
But...would you rather I was giving cash to tour operators or Egyptian people?

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:33 am

Everything you say is correct Hatusu, and dont forget 5le will buy 2 kilo of tomato's on the markets in Luxor, how much would you need to earn to buy 2 kilo of tomato's in the UK? Maybe the same equivilent??

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:03 am

"I still personally think that for approx £1/£2,a caleche ride is a damn good bargain.
Sitting alfresco in a horse drawn carriage and trotting along at easy speed,enjoying the sunshine and the sights is my idea of luxury!
I've done it in Blackpool in the pouring rain and paid £20 for the "priviledge!"
Believe me...there's no comparison!"

It may be a bargain to you, but at Luxor prices its not a bargain at all. I never go over to the East Bank except out of sheer necessity, precisely because of the hassle. When I do go over, cost of travelling (and I do have to go over more often at the moment because of dental and medical treatment) is a factor. All I want to do is get from A to B. I cant afford to pay double the real price every week! This is why whenever possible I walk. And if I do need to get transport, Im certainly not going to pay the same price (or more) for a caleche as what I could get a taxi for.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Would you get in a taxi or get on a bus in the UK and pay double the fare? Last time I used the bus in London it cost about the same as a kilo of tomato's in Tesco.
R

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:44 pm

Sitting alfresco in a horse drawn carriage and trotting along at easy speed,enjoying the sunshine and the sights is my idea of luxury!

That is a very different thing, Hatusu wanted to get from A to B, a short hop down a busy road, not a scenic trip.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:11 pm

That is a very different thing, Hatusu wanted to get from A to B, a short hop down a busy road, not a scenic trip.
Nevertheless,it's still a business transaction!
Do all hoteliers and restauranteurs in Luxor reduce their prices for local ex-pats and Egyptians?
Or are you all guilty of ripping off,expecting tips and making fast buck from tourists as well?

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Scottishtourist wrote: Do all hoteliers and restauranteurs in Luxor reduce their prices for local ex-pats and Egyptians?
Hotels have different prices for a night and a week, restaurants for a glass and a bottle of wine.

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:That is a very different thing, Hatusu wanted to get from A to B, a short hop down a busy road, not a scenic trip.
Nevertheless,it's still a business transaction!
Do all hoteliers and restauranteurs in Luxor reduce their prices for local ex-pats and Egyptians?
Or are you all guilty of ripping off,expecting tips and making fast buck from tourists as well?[/quote]

Any visitor only needs to look at this website - Visiting Luxor - Price Index - as follows:-

TAXIS AND OTHER TRANSPORT
A very short journey from iberotel to Luxor temple should be about 5 le regardless of how many people, a longer journey from say iberotel to Karnak temple should cost 10 le
Motorboat 1 way (Direct) West/East 5 le Ferry 1 way 1 le Local Buses (East Bank) 50 piastas Local Buses (West Bank) 50 piastas

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Ok,ok!
We'll look at websites!
They only give advice,caleche prices ain't set in stone!They're only a guide!
Direct us to official guidelines.Show us where it says we should only pay 5le for short journey A to B!
But...man does not live on tomatoes alone...nor do horses!
And yes...I'm sure hotels and restaurants all do have different prices.Whilst everyone moans about "dual"pricing,they're probably biggest culprits!
And all the while expecting cheap rates whilst they offer none to tourists,but expect Egyptian people to be grateful for paltry sum of 5le!

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Maybe there's another way of looking at this issue rather than focussing on what is the 'right price' for a Caleche ride. Personally I don't think there is a fixed price. Anymore than there is a 'right price' for a Scarf in the Souk. It's a barter economy in Luxor. All this 'only five pounds' stuff has been called out by Caleche drivers ever since I've been in Luxor but I've yet to meet one who actually meant it! The old trick of spring on the Tourist that they meant 5 English Pounds is very well known. And times change. Twelve years ago a cup of Lipton Tea with milk was about 1.5-2le. Now you'd be doing very well to get one for 5le. Taxi's were five and then went up to ten. I can remember ex-pats wrangling over that but it became the norm nevertheless. Even buses fares went up from 25 piastres to 50. It's called 'Inflation' and all economies suffer from it! In view of that, 5le for a Caleche ride does seem low.

And the problem in Egypt generally, in so far as I can see, is that prices have risen dramatically over the past few years whilst earnings have remained virtually static. This I believe, was one of the major precipitating factors of the Revolution, rather than just civil rights issues. Nothing breeds discontent in a society so much as economic deprivation!

And there can be little doubt that many people in Luxor, and Egypt generally are still suffering severe financial hardship. And this particularly applies to areas, like Luxor, which are heavily dependent on tourism which has all but dried up. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Caleche drivers, and I've been on the receiving end of some nastiness from them which can be very upsetting. And I always think it's a shame that Caleches which should be part of the local colour and 'romanticism' of Luxor are often remembered by tourists not as part of Luxor's charm, as they should be, but as a major source of irritation. Nevertheless, Caleche drivers, like everybody else need to eat and usually have dependent mouths to feed. So looking at it logically, I reckon if 5le is the 'right price' then they're due a bit of an increase.

Another problem, as I see it, is that Luxor has gained such a reputation for 'rip offs' that both tourists and ex-pat's tend to be a bit paranoid about paying over the odds. But in the current climate I don't see the need to view it that way. I'm quite prepared to pay a little bit more right now, and as I'm doing it knowingly and willingly nobody can say that I'm being 'ripped off'. It doesn't have to be seen in that light. It can be seen as doing a little bit to help out in difficult times. Unlike some of you I don't think that Egyptians are always wonderful people who are beyond reproach. And I don't admire everything about their culture. But, the bottom line is I've lived amongst them happily now for nearly 13 years and I don't like to see them 'on their uppers'. So personally, I don't feel the need to quibble over a couple of LE anymore. With things the way they are at the moment that would make me feel mean. But it's a personal choice of course.

Phew! I'm getting off my soap box now! :)

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:20 pm

Excellently put, Timetraveller. That sums up my feelings about living in Luxor right now (but whether an expat should join in is another matter; I'm getting ready for our Saturday meet-up with some trepidation!).

I'm all for publishing guidelines for prices, and a couple of sites I've been looking at seem relatively up to date. The big problem with L4u's guide quoted by Hatusu is that it is four years out of date! The section quoted seems to apply to taxis; a bit further on it says (though rather garbled:
Horse and Carriage
Sonesta-Downtown 1 way – 15 le
Round Trip - 40 le etc

One other site mentions 10LE for a caleche ride in Luxor town (not a scenic tour; they're priced by the hour usually) and that the price should not be more than a taxi for the same journey.

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Even thouugh the list was compiled 4 yrs ago, everything else on the website is still the same price - 5LE for boats, 1LE for ferry, 50 piastres for arabiyahs. And its a question of price and demand as Ive said. I was going to walk - the caleche driver stopped me, I didnt stop him. If the price is more than Im willing too pay then he's going to get nothing at all. If he'd rather have nothing , fine, I'll walk. Isnt it better to have something for a very short distance than nothing? My income has gone down considerably for various reasons over the past 12 months - I have to be careful (Im also from Yorkshire!)
Also another reason I prefer taxi drivers to caleche drivers, apart from them being more polite - taxi drivers dont swivel their heads round to the opposite side of where theyre driving when chatting to you!

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:15 pm

"Excellently put, Timetraveller. That sums up my feelings about living in Luxor right now (but whether an expat should join in is another matter; I'm getting ready for our Saturday meet-up with some trepidation!)."

Dont worry Tony, its no problem and I'll see you later tonight. Just to let you know Ive told Kaery and Hani that you want to pay 20LE for your Stellas as you dont think they charge enough. See you soon!

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:18 pm

Hmmm... even though the short journey from St Joseph to the motorboats near Winter Palace hotel should be 5LE (even in a taxi) which is more than an Egyptian would pay, ive been a few times in a taxi and on a carriage with some Egyptains and ive seen them give 2-3LE.

What everyone should do is negotiate the price before you get on a carriage or in a taxi, offer to pay what your happy with, if that's 5LE, 10LE or more (make sure you do say Egyptian pounds), if the driver is not happy with your offer than that's up to him, you offered your price, just walk away.

Barb

Post by Barb » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:59 pm

I wasnt going to comment on this thread coz what I say always gets me in to trouble, but here goes. :D

The fact of the matter is not what Hatusu was willing to pay the calleche driver the fact is that she shouldnt have been subjected to abuse like that at all. If they can do that to an expat then they are certainly doing it to tourists. I know most of the calleche drivers that sit outside the st Joseph and have given them a telling off on many occasions for hassling tourists, I think Bombay witnessed me doing just that a few days ago over another incident that I heard about. They have always shown me respect but I am trying to get them to understand that by doing things like that they are not doing themselves or Luxor any favours. Things like this needs to be addressed by the ministry of tourism before it gets TOTALLY out of hand!!!!

Hatusu do you know the name of the calleche driver or describe him or his horse so that I can have yet another word with them?

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:07 pm

"It's a barter economy"

Come on TT, I expect better from you! I don't think that the driver would be very happy to swap a scarf or something for a caleche ride; but he might be willing to bargain, or haggle the cash price.

timetraveller

Post by timetraveller » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Teddyboy wrote:"It's a barter economy"

Come on TT, I expect better from you! I don't think that the driver would be very happy to swap a scarf or something for a caleche ride; but he might be willing to bargain, or haggle the cash price.
Yes, you're right it was the wrong word. I thought that as soon as I'd posted actually but couldn't be bothered to change it. Mind you, if you offered a Caleche driver your watch instead of 5le I expect he would take it! Any more nits you would like to pick Teddy? :)

TonyC

Post by TonyC » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 am

hatusu wrote:Dont worry Tony, its no problem and I'll see you later tonight. Just to let you know Ive told Kaery and Hani that you want to pay 20LE for your Stellas as you dont think they charge enough. See you soon!
Oh, so that's what that was about last night! :lol: I'd switched off after my post so I wasn't forewarned!

But I do firmly believe that caleche fares should match those of taxis. After all, the caleche driver spends more of his working time on each fare than a taxi driver does (over the same distance) ... and he has to refuel his one horse power "engine" even when it is idling!

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:27 am

"Any more nits you would like to pick"

Not at the minute, TT, but thanks anyway. lol.

"caleche fares should match those of taxis"

The taxi driver's costs are many times more than that of the caleche.