New koshary shop on Medina street.

Places in Egypt that you don't recommend members or guests to visit, stay, eat , drink or shop for souvenirs and necessities.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Barb

New koshary shop on Medina street.

Post by Barb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:12 am

Me and my sister fancied a shwarma sandwich for dinner the other night and went to try out the new koshary/grill place on Medina street. When we walked in we were handed a menu in English. I was shocked that 1 meat shwarma sandwich was priced at 10LE so I asked for a menu in Arabic. I got even more of a shock to see that the same thing on the Arabic menu was priced at 4LE, more than double the price! We told them they were clefty and went to our usual place at the top of TV street where we got 2 sandwiches and a tub of koshary for 15LE. I would not recommend these rip off merchants to anyone.

TONY

Post by TONY » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Further to that, same topic different venue. The long awaited new coffee shop in Karnak called Cozy Corner. I tried it the second day of opening. Coffee bil laban is something I love done the Egyptian way in a glass, and the coffee and sugar having been beaten to make the foam on top. This was served in a mug and appeared to have been foamed with one of those small beating gadgets. However Im sure the real Mc Coy can be had on request. The problem arose when the bill arrived. 20 LE for a cup of coffee in a coffee shop is really taking the **** ( I guess that word will be censored out ) I refused to pay it and it was one of those rare occasions where I lost the head. I informed the staff that I am a long standing resident in Karnak and intend to warn all the local residents that the coffee is far to expensive and to avoid going in. Now bearing in mind that three times I had queried the 20 LE all of a sudden it was decided they had made a mistake, it was really 2. 1/2 LE .

Tony
Karnak

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Countessa » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Hmm, to be fair, it's not an unusual assumption that a foreigner would be more likely to read an English menu than an Arabic one. And, we all know that dual-pricing goes on for 'tourists'.

If when you got the Arabic menu (and prices) they still tried to charge you the higher amount then, yes, I'd have had a problem with that also.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:24 pm

If Barb is talking about the big new one on the corner, I believe that it belongs to El Zaeem (Youseff Hassan St.), where a shwermer is 5 and 1/2 le and koshary comes at either 2, 3 or 4 le per pot.
Mind you, when I first went there, the English menu had the shwermers at 25 le!!!!!

Barb

Post by Barb » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Good for you tony.

Countessa, they normally add the 12% tourist tax on for foreigners but that price is just ridiculous. He just laughed when he realised we could read Arabic.

Teddyboy the one I mean is on the next corner to pizza home. We go there quite a lot and always order in Arabic. They have never tried to rip us off.

TONY

Post by TONY » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:36 am

With reference to my post. Cosy Corner is in fact named Quiet Corner, a senior mistake.

Tony
Karnak